Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 08:59 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
thanks. i feel the same way.

I have a 300 dollar couch i bought on sale and i own a kia, my first and only brand new car. it was 13,000 brand new.

i feel that i make enough money for my needs so i don't understand why they look down on me. they are all used to living the HIGH LIFE and can't imagine not being able to go out to eat whenver they want too or not go on expensive trips four times a year.
That's just how many people view life. There's no reason why you should feel pressured - just work on your self-confidence to fend them off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 09:27 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Actually you could at least scrape by in most areas of the country on 30 AS A SINGLE.
You could probably at least scrape by in slightly fewer places in the country as a couple.
Family of 4? Alot fewer places.
Its like 11K for a single. Im of the opinion the fed rates understate regional cost differences.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:31 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,600,003 times
Btw, since you mentioned your rich family, they probably mean well and only want what's best for you. They probably beieve that you should make as much money as you can. They don't realize you can be as happy living a simple life and enjoying it with no worries. Whatever you do...never turn your nose up at the have nots. Just continue being a good person.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:35 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
I think it depends on where you live. That's about what I make after taxes and I'm a single woman living in an extremely expensive area and I feel rich compared to most of my friends. It's extremely rare to find a job that pays more than 15 an hour, even with a college degree, so I make almost twice as much as most of my peers.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:36 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,230 times
Anytime we are determining if someone is at poverty level, or if they are possibly considered to be "rich" we need to know what state they reside in. Matters a lot. In Hawaii, those that make a six-figure income are often not rich, no way.

In Texas they may not be rich but they're quite comfy even if the first numeral of that six-figure income is a "1."

Old 01-11-2012, 09:39 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,933 times
Sounds like you're doing very well for yourself. You really have nothing at all to be ashamed of. Keep up the good work and doing what you feel is necessary for YOU to be happy.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:49 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
It's all relative. If you can pay your bills, and you're happy, then it doesn't matter what everyone else thinks. Keep on keep'n on.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:17 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
yeah. i don't get their mentality. they'd rather that i be an aweful person making good money than a good person who is not rich.
What does that mean? Your rich family is full of awful (aweful) folks making good money?

Quote:
I want to be a librarian. i'm getting a masters degree in library sciences. librarians only make about 45 thousand a year, so i will never be rich, but i'd rather have a career that i'd like and not be rich. they think it's crazy
The last thing I'd want any of my kids to waste a degree on is library sciences - especially if I'm footing the bill. If you are paying your own way, and will be happy in your profession of choice, go for it, and tell your family to shut up.

BUT: Don't ***** about what you don't have and how hard it is to find a job after you get your masters. Stay in school and go on for the PhD. You're going to need it. Maybe get a degree in another field while you're at it for back up.

I have a relative who has her PhD in LS and wow! What a job she still can't find. Chick even got a full ride from a great college for her MS, paid her own for the PhD that remains useless b/c folks in that field never seem to retire.

Good luck, but seems like you know what you're going to be dealing with. Like I said, don't ***** about it when your friends and family have larger incomes and are more employable than you...and do things/have things you can't afford. As long as you're happy, and sure of what you want, and how little you are willing to resign yourself to make for the rest of your life: go for it!

Old 01-11-2012, 10:46 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I think it depends on where you live. That's about what I make after taxes and I'm a single woman living in an extremely expensive area and I feel rich compared to most of my friends. It's extremely rare to find a job that pays more than 15 an hour, even with a college degree, so I make almost twice as much as most of my peers.
I live in North Dakota, pretty low cost of living here

Old 01-11-2012, 10:54 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,793 times
Tell your family to take a walk ... In most parts of the country $30,000 for a single is pretty good but others(east/west coasts and NYC) it is minimum wage ... If YOU are comfortable with it then it is enough.

Unless you are a drug addict or criminal why to you care what ANYONE thinks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance