U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 12:44 PM

7,778 posts, read 9,659,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
as many times as i thumbed through the book i just have no desire to read it.

kind of like the rich dad poor dad stuff. loads of folks love it but i have never been compelled to read any of it.

i won't say it is not worth reading, it just doesn't interest me. i am more a harry brown ,bill bernstein,jack bogle kind of reader.
So, you are a lower-case reader?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 01:09 PM

24,800 posts, read 26,947,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
But honestly, I think having a Federal government pension would probably give me the most security vs. any private employer out there.
At the rate the Feds are racking up debt, nothing really makes me feel secure.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:42 PM

4,484 posts, read 7,901,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Yes indeed. For me, it all depends on how my savings wind up. If I do really well, I may choose southern Italy or perhaps France. Otherwise, somewhere in SE Asia. I've really enjoyed Malaysia each time I've visited, and they have an awesome retirement visa scheme. Australia or New Zealand is another possibility.

Yes, you can always play it by ear but those areas are gorgeous (Southern Italy or France). I'm never been to SE Asia but I know many people live like a king there as well. Not my cup of tea there but we spend a few months in Europe each year and it's amazing. We just spent some time in the French Riviera and it is one of my favorite spots in the world. Not exactly what I'd call one of the more affordable spots to retire in but boy is it gorgeous.

We will probably spend a few months a year in retirement there in the French Riviera once our kids are out of school.

Stoutboy, it really sounds like you have things planned out well and will have a great retirement. That's what it's all about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
At the rate the Feds are racking up debt, nothing really makes me feel secure.
Yep. True. There will eventually be some consequences of printing all that money. There always tends to be a consequence when governments print endless amounts of money. I guess you just have to be prepared for worst case scenarios in life when it comes to that.

It's part of my strategy for establishing legal and permanent residency status in other countries. I doubt I'll see any systemic crash in the USA in my lifetime but I guess it's better to be on the safe side. LOL.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:56 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,888,431 times
Quote:
Yes, you can always play it by ear but those areas are gorgeous (Southern Italy or France). I'm never been to SE Asia but I know many people live like a king there as well. Not my cup of tea there but we spend a few months in Europe each year and it's amazing. We just spent some time in the French Riviera and it is one of my favorite spots in the world. Not exactly what I'd call one of the more affordable spots to retire in but boy is it gorgeous.

We will probably spend a few months a year in retirement there in the French Riviera once our kids are out of school.

Stoutboy, it really sounds like you have things planned out well and will have a great retirement. That's what it's all about.
Well, I hope for the best. DW works fed too, so between the two of us, we should make out alright. It sounds like things have really worked out for you. It's a good story to hear.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:01 PM

65,095 posts, read 66,603,384 times
I got 491 days 3 hours 59 minutes 30 seconds to go, but who's counting.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Yep. True. There will eventually be some consequences of printing all that money. There always tends to be a consequence when governments print endless amounts of money. I guess you just have to be prepared for worst case scenarios in life when it comes to that.

It's part of my strategy for establishing legal and permanent residency status in other countries. I doubt I'll see any systemic crash in the USA in my lifetime but I guess it's better to be on the safe side. LOL.
The problem I see is that there may not be anywhere to run. Japan is printing up money and running huge deficits. Europe...printing money and running big deficits. I think we have to understand the global economy is run by a tiny elite (much smaller than the 1% the Occupy Wall Street crowd railed against), and having a few million or even $10 million saved is not going to insulate you from these problems.

I have a friend who can claim German citizenship because his parents were born there. He thinks he can move to Germany if worse comes to worst and live off the welfare state there (in addition to getting a Social Security check). I always ask him "what if Germany ends up insolvent due to bailing out the other EU countries?". Germany's debt to GDP is actually pretty high all on its own. But he doesn't want to look at that. Even if Germany doesn't end up insolvent, they are going to have to pare back on their welfare state. They have already raised their Social Security age.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:06 AM

as long as we stay the best house in the worst neighborhood we will be fine. we don't even have to be in good shape, we just need to be in less bad shape then the rest.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
as long as we stay the best house in the worst neighborhood we will be fine. we don't even have to be in good shape, we just need to be in less bad shape than the rest.
I'm not sure I believe that. Now that the economy is global, it can easily be crashed by the elite that runs it for their own purposes (to consolidate power in fewer and fewer hands). Just look at the last crash that was caused by a bubble in real estate prices. It didn't just happen in the U.S. but also the U.K., Ireland, Spain, & Denmark. Norway, Australia, & Canada also have real estate bubbles that have started to pop.

It wouldn't surprise me if the world economy were (deliberately) crashed and they then tried to usher in a new global currency to "save" the economy. Of course, they may do this in steps (i.e. a new North American currency first, the "Amero"....which has already been talked about).

Old 02-24-2013, 05:11 AM

if you picture a lazy susan my thinking has always been that stuff is always on the platter but the platter is swung around to the back.

the front is my allocations and planning around what was , what is, and what stands a good chance of continuing.

it doesnt mean all the other issues are ignored, nope they are right there on the platter but i don't dwell and stare at it.

in my almost 30 years doing this stuff through just about all the bad news possible including being possibly being destroyed by the soviet union at any second life went on.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:21 AM

4,484 posts, read 7,901,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The problem I see is that there may not be anywhere to run. Japan is printing up money and running huge deficits. Europe...printing money and running big deficits. I think we have to understand the global economy is run by a tiny elite (much smaller than the 1% the Occupy Wall Street crowd railed against), and having a few million or even $10 million saved is not going to insulate you from these problems.

I have a friend who can claim German citizenship because his parents were born there. He thinks he can move to Germany if worse comes to worst and live off the welfare state there (in addition to getting a Social Security check). I always ask him "what if Germany ends up insolvent due to bailing out the other EU countries?". Germany's debt to GDP is actually pretty high all on its own. But he doesn't want to look at that. Even if Germany doesn't end up insolvent, they are going to have to pare back on their welfare state. They have already raised their Social Security age.

Sure there aren't any magical solutions but the more you can prepare the better. Any "back up" plan can have holes pokes in it. ANY. But at least your friend HAS a game plan. Yes, with his German parents, he can easily get a passport and get residency there. It's wise to have a 2nd passport. Even if all goes to hell in Germany, with his EU passport he can go to other EU countries to find work, live, have bank accounts, etc.

It's better than doing nothing. IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or