Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 07:43 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times

Advertisements

I didn't read it. I'm holding off for The Millionaire in My House.

I glanced through it at the book store. Seemed like I knew most of the stuff already. I'm close to being a millionaire myself on a modest income, so I could probably write a better book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 06:22 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I do think The Millionaire Next Door is a good book and not outdated at all.

One book that I think is as good or better is The Difference by Jean Chatzky. It is more current, published in 2008. It's also less preachy and in some ways more prectial in it's approach than Millionaire.

Amazon.com: The Difference: How Anyone Can Prosper in Even The Toughest Times (9780307407146): Jean Chatzky: Books

Thanks for the advice. I follow Chatzky on the Today Show. Will have to get this one too!

Old 01-27-2012, 11:51 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,264,955 times
I have not read the book but understand the gist of it from threads like this. My guess is most successful people (in this context, success means having $1 Million) have figured out what works on their own. If the common sense described in the book isn't obvious, the chances of success greatly diminish. In other words, it is not so much of an instructional book as it is a list of attributes of a group of people.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:34 PM

483 posts, read 1,559,279 times
I'll save you some money. Basically, the book says that to become financially secure, you should live beneath your means, save and invest, and spend wisely. It also helps to start a business too.

To tell you the truth, I don't think this book helps. I know plenty of people who live like those in the book, and none of them have ever read the book. They just grew up like that (and they're doing well now). OTOH, people with poor spending habits aren't gonna change their ways after reading this book. Basically, the book won't have much of an impact one way or the other. You were either raised by your parents to be financially disciplined, or you werent

Old 01-28-2012, 05:10 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
It's a quick read and available at the library. It contains some interesting information about the habits of wealth builders and destroys the popular belief that one needs to be born into a wealthy family, have a high-income job, or get a lucky break to become wealthy.

It also shows that small businesses that are not necessarily glamorous can provide solid incomes to accumulate wealth.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:27 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,608,205 times
It was ok, but not spectacular. Some of the advice was odd. For instance, the authors kept harping about how their millionaire subjects bought American made cars. Now when that book was written in the 1980s, American cars were in the toilet, quality-wise, and fuel economy-wise. If anything, buying an American car was a poor financial decision. Yet the authors seemed to think it was indicative of fiscal aptitude.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:04 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
as many times as i thumbed through the book i just have no desire to read it.

kind of like the rich dad poor dad stuff. loads of folks love it but i have never been compelled to read any of it.

i won't say it is not worth reading, it just doesn't interest me. i am more a harry brown ,bill bernstein,jack bogle kind of reader.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:28 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
I'll save you some money. Basically, the book says that to become financially secure, you should live beneath your means, save and invest, and spend wisely. It also helps to start a business too.

To tell you the truth, I don't think this book helps. I know plenty of people who live like those in the book, and none of them have ever read the book. They just grew up like that (and they're doing well now). OTOH, people with poor spending habits aren't gonna change their ways after reading this book. Basically, the book won't have much of an impact one way or the other. You were either raised by your parents to be financially disciplined, or you werent

I do not think that the intent of the book The Millionaires Next Door was to be a "how to" book. Rather, it was a study trying to identify the common behaviors of those who have reached a level of wealth.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:31 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
It's a good book about mindset, but do note that that authors had the time/resources to write it thanks to "a small inheritance."

Old 02-21-2013, 10:23 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,005,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I've read The Millionaire Mind as well. A lot of it is common sense. The book contrasts the behavior and habits of people with high salaries and near zero net worth versus those of people who often have a modest salary and lifestyle but high net worth.

Whenever I think of this book I think of the commercial with the guy riding his new tractor in front of his big new house, talking about his new cars, his golf membership, etc., and he says, "I'm in debt up to my eye balls." There are a lot of people around like that.
Oh, you mean those who are "Big Hat, No Cattle" types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance