Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you won $250 million, would you continue to work for your emplorer or...
Start own business 11 12.50%
Go back to school and get that degree 1 1.14%
Stay with current employer 8 9.09%
Fund research and create own scientific lab 2 2.27%
donate to charity 3 3.41%
Run for President or other political office 0 0%
Start own movie studio and produce films or movies 1 1.14%
Open animal shelters 3 3.41%
Feed the hungry 0 0%
Anything but continue to work for employer 20 22.73%
Some of the above 26 29.55%
None of the above 13 14.77%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 09:22 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,795 times

Advertisements

What's so selfish about these women continuing to work for the time being? At the time that the article was written, they were still waiting for their winnings to be confirmed. Wouldn't it be smarter for them to wait to make sure that they won, rather than quit their jobs in haste, only to have the ticket not be a winner? That would suck. Plus, an experience like winning a huge jackpot must seem so surreal that I think it would take some time for them to get their heads around it.

I don't think that these women need to justify anything to anyone. Even if they did quit the second that they found out they had the winning ticket, that's a whopping eight job openings, at most - hardly enough to put a dent in the unemployment rate. And, if that were the case, would you then expect their employer to fill the vacant positions based on who needed them the most? No. The jobs would still go to the most qualified. As for the people that win and continue to work at places like McDonalds and Walmart, please, people aren't breaking their necks to get jobs there.

The people who need those jobs are also free to start businesses and create their own livelihoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 11:13 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Some people actually LIKE their jobs and worked hard to get where they are. I don't see a problem with wanting to work even if you are rich. Most rich people do work, it's how they got rich.
Exactly. And it turns out people are generally happier and healthier when they work. Work fills more than just financial needs.

If you win a lot of money, maybe you don't need to work for a living any more, but it may take a lot of time to figure out your next move into some other kind of work that's more fulfilling. It's probably better (at least in the short run) to go to work at your regular job every day while figuring that out.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Think what this lady could do with $276 million dollars...

They could start their own company, and create at least 10-50 other jobs...minimal...
Not that simple. If you've been a wage/salary earner your whole life, you're not going to magically become endowed with an entrepreneurial mindset overnight just because you won a bunch of money. You could easily blow $276 million in business ventures with little or nothing to show for it and have to lay off your employees.

Starting a business just because you have a lot of money is a prescription for failure. Most of us don't have the mindset to be business owners and having a lot of money probably won't change that.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
She can create jobs just by spending some of that money. Or by investing it. She doesn't have to start a business to stimulate the local economy!

You sound like you might be interested in Economics, and if so I would suggest you take a class. If you like thinking about this kind of thing, if can be an amazing class to take - and it will change the way you think for the rest of your life!
Well said. I think the OP really could use a course in economics...maybe two or three.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
If one wins $276 million in power ball, like the lady in article...

Quit your dern job...and go get a life....

You can still work, just now your able to fund your own 'activities'...

Does such a person who chooses to work, not have any dreams or ambitions beyond punching a time clock and getting approval (pat on the head) from employer...
I think this is awfully judgemental. A drastic change in circumstances like that requires some serious thought and time, not impulsive action. People who make snap decisions in situations like this often live to regret them.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Nor should a lottery winner of $200 million or even $100 million, continue to linger around a $35,000 job...

If they don't want the money, give it back...and they can continue to toil and struggle through life, and give it to someone who can use it, multiplly it, bless others with it...

Like the story in scripture of the 3 sons, and how they were given coins...

And how two of the sons did something with the coins, and the last son buried his...
And his father was very displeased with him...

And if lottery winners don't want to use the money once they win...what's the point of playing?
Did you ever consider that saving/investing most of the money actually IS doing something productive and useful????

You really don't seem to get that winning a huge amount of money is a big change in life circumstances. If you don't think things through carefully, you can blow through that fortune very, very quickly without actually contributing much to society. It's as true for charitable giving as it is for starting a business.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:18 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,324,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Did you ever consider that saving/investing most of the money actually IS doing something productive and useful????

You really don't seem to get that winning a huge amount of money is a big change in life circumstances. If you don't think things through carefully, you can blow through that fortune very, very quickly without actually contributing much to society. It's as true for charitable giving as it is for starting a business.
To be honest with you, I can't even fathomn winning or having $50 million dollars...

I live such a frugile practical life...It's hard for me to fathomn going through $50 mil....

I mean once I purchased

1. new car...2

2. boat, and jet skis

3. House and a cabin...probaly 3 cabins in various locations...

4. Some decent clothes and shoes...

5. A pet dog...and squirrel...(always wanted a pet squirrel)...

6. Electronics...large tv, home theater ect ect...

7. Small used airplane...like a cessna 170 or something...or piper...

Ok, after I purchased these basics...I'd still have 49 million left...

That amount of money is just mind boggling...

But one thing I wouldn't mind boggle over is whether to leave job or not...

Cause I do have dreams and ambitions outside of manual labor type jobs...

Heck, I've always wanted to start a Resturant/lounge type of place...

Like those old 50's joints...where you had people entertaining while others wined and dined...a Sinatra type ran place...

And that's just for starters....

Old 01-29-2012, 10:22 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Some people are not cut out to have their own business and prefer to keep active through working. Without knowing her or her specific situation it would be hard for me personally to say that she is being selfish. Perhaps she plans on helping family and friends financially then starting a trust for charity before she jumps into being unemployed.

Her choice is her own and really is not the business of others who do not know her and are making assumptions from a newspaper article which in my opinion does not present all the facts.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:28 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,324,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Some people are not cut out to have their own business and prefer to keep active through working. Without knowing her or her specific situation it would be hard for me personally to say that she is being selfish. Perhaps she plans on helping family and friends financially then starting a trust for charity before she jumps into being unemployed.

Her choice is her own and really is not the business of others who do not know her and are making assumptions from a newspaper article which in my opinion does not present all the facts.
If i win...I will never give to mainstream charities...cause none of these mainstream charities were ever there for me when I needed help, when I was homeless...

It seems you basically have to be a woman, with kids, to apply for and or recieve any kind of help...

But if your a male...tough luck...you could die on the sidewalk, and no charity will help you...

Charities are greedy and selfish...why?...cause they're ran by people that's why...and people have biases, motives, and personalities...which effect how money is distributed...

Only a dummy would dump millions into ineffeciantly ran charities...

Now don't get me wrong...I love giving...It makes you happy to give...

But if I win...I'll start a charity in my own name, and give to whom I decide to give to...which would probably be people who get over looked by most charities...

Old 02-01-2012, 06:01 PM

917 posts, read 2,005,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I would definitely keep working until I had the money in my hand. And even then I would give notice.

I think I would definitely quit though!
Exactly what I would do. I'd give my job at least 2 weeks notice and I'd be out. I don't think it's selfish not to quit it's just not what I would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
The primary reason I want to win a lottery is so I can quit the rat race. There's so much in life I want to do that I cannot due to lack of time and money. Work? Yeah that would go right out the window. To me it's just a means to an end.

That said, I don't think of those who win millions yet continue to work in their old job as selfish. I know some people derive self worth from work. Some people define themselves by their occupation. It's what they are and what they know.
I so feel you on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
It may not be selfish but it is foolish. Unless the person truly loves their job. With that much money she could take a business course and open a shop of some kind, or something and create jobs. My own personal opinion is these people are missing out. Life is short, the world is huge. There's endless sights to see and cultures and lands to explore. But to eachs own so they say.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance