Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you won $250 million, would you continue to work for your emplorer or...
Start own business 11 12.50%
Go back to school and get that degree 1 1.14%
Stay with current employer 8 9.09%
Fund research and create own scientific lab 2 2.27%
donate to charity 3 3.41%
Run for President or other political office 0 0%
Start own movie studio and produce films or movies 1 1.14%
Open animal shelters 3 3.41%
Feed the hungry 0 0%
Anything but continue to work for employer 20 22.73%
Some of the above 26 29.55%
None of the above 13 14.77%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 06:34 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,323,347 times

Advertisements

I heard today that a woman won $276 million dollars on the power ball...

Women win $276M lottery jackpot - and report back to work | Lottery Post

And then reports back to work and wants to keep job...

Ok, is that being outright selfish on their part?

I mean with all the unemployed out there, why would this lady not resign, and allow someone else to get her old job who needs an income??

I've heard people who do this kind of stuff before, after winning big...what's the point??

This lady has won $270 mil...and all she can think to do is report to work?

Why not start their own company, and create jobs or opportunities for others?

Are they so robotic and routine orientated that their life has no meaning unless they're slaving away for an employer?

Yes, I understand most of us do that, because we have to...so it's either that or go broke...

But I garuntee most people have a lot of unfulfilled personal dreams that they'd rather chase, and fulfill, rather than showing up to some job that you no longer need...

People who win big like that, and still continue to work at McDonalds as cashier, really annoy me...I don't think it's cute at all...I think it's a symptom of why there are very few leaders in this world...

And demonstrates how programmed people have become...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 07:33 PM

297 posts, read 726,216 times
Some people are the only people who know how to do their jobs and they can't be easily replaced. Perhaps she is being "nice" and giving her employer time to find a replacement?

The worst thing you can do to any employer is to quit suddenly with no notice. It takes time to find a replacement. For some specialized jobs, it could take 6 months or longer to find a replacement.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:46 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
It used to be that someone who didn't contribute to the society at large (i.e., someone who didn't work) was the selfish, worthless type... regardless of how much money they had in the bank.

My, how times have changed... now it's "selfish" to keep a job if you don't "need" it?

Old 01-26-2012, 07:47 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
No, these people are not being selfish. There's nothing wrong with an honest day's work for an honest pay. If both the employee and employer are happy with the situation, then everyone who matters has already been considered.

However, it is well within the unemployed individual's right to attempt to prove that he/she would be a better fit for the position.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:53 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
The first and beginning of the second paragraph of the article:

Quote:
If you thought you'd just won a fortune, would you go to work the next day? Eight women who toil in a tax office in Morgantown, West Virginia did just that on Monday, as they anxiously await confirmation that they hold the winning ticket in a $276.3 million lottery jackpot.
But whether they'll be back again this week is another matter.
Eight women walking off a job could be devastating for their employer. They don't work at McDonald's. It wasn't confirmed that they won. And it doesn't say they won't quit. (Although I didn't read the rest of the article because I was so disappointed with the false representation that I didn't think it was worth it. )

Old 01-26-2012, 08:13 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
I would definitely keep working until I had the money in my hand. And even then I would give notice.

I think I would definitely quit though!

Old 01-26-2012, 08:16 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Some people actually LIKE their jobs and worked hard to get where they are. I don't see a problem with wanting to work even if you are rich. Most rich people do work, it's how they got rich.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:17 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,376,539 times
Not everyone works just for the money. Some people have jobs they love.

If you have a great life, and love the work you do, wouldn't you want to continue with that life?

Definitely not selfish.

And if you need a job? Go out and make your own way in this world - don't begrudge someone else's good fortune.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:28 PM

If I were in the military, and had a career job like flying F-18 hornets, like say a title...Naval aviator...ect ect...than yes, I'd probably stay...cause some careers, money alone just can't by...

But if I were an assembly line worker, or janitor or held some other non skilled labor job...I'd be gone...

Old 01-26-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
It used to be that someone who didn't contribute to the society at large (i.e., someone who didn't work) was the selfish, worthless type... regardless of how much money they had in the bank.

My, how times have changed... now it's "selfish" to keep a job if you don't "need" it?
Think what this lady could do with $276 million dollars...

They could start their own company, and create at least 10-50 other jobs...minimal...

But by sitting on that job, with $276 million dollas under their belt, who are they helping? what point are they trying to proove?

Why not create a morgage bail out company or something...do something with it other than bury it under the mattress...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance