Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 08:26 PM

222 posts, read 222,625 times

Advertisements

Didn't see any new threads but this just happened to me. After a long road trip, my debit card would not work at a fuel pump. Called my bank and my card had been compromised. Apparently someone had tried to pay for a dating website with it so my bank cancelled the card. I was 1300 miles from home so I transferred some money from my bank account to my Google wallet card. That was compromised only a couple days later. I'm still getting emails for attempted charges all over the world. From china, middle east, U.S., etc.

Absolutely no idea how it happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 08:54 PM

834 posts, read 2,684,209 times
RFID wallets or card covers should help prevent someone from stealing your card info. Also my understanding is that the credit cards with chips on them
Will help as well.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:13 PM

222 posts, read 222,625 times
I've been using a metal wallet since 2013. My identity was stolen earlier this year as well, someone set up 4 Verizon cell phone lines in my name as well as a mobile data "jetpack".

At a time when I'm trying to keep my credit in tip top shape to buy a newer house...

Old 01-02-2016, 03:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,454 times
Default Debit Card Number Stolen in Raleigh 27610 Area

Happy New Year! My debit card number was stolen and used on Jan 1, 2016. Thankfully, I was checking my account and found two Way2Ride charges on my account. I had to Google Way2Ride - it's similar to Uber. I immediately canceled the card and opened charge disputes. The last place I used my card was at a fast food restaurant in the 27610 Raleigh Area. Well! That area is off my list of quick stops.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:56 PM

524 posts, read 521,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl007 View Post
my bank said the key to it was me putting my pin number in. They urged me to start trying to have vendors run my card as credit if at all possible
The banks would love that because they can charged 18% interest on credit transactions.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:58 PM

524 posts, read 521,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston_2010 View Post
RFID wallets or card covers should help prevent someone from stealing your card info. Also my understanding is that the credit cards with chips on them
Will help as well.
A bank employee told me the hackers/thieves have already figured out how to bypass the chips on the cards.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:53 AM

8,418 posts, read 4,575,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionsRGood View Post
The banks would love that because they can charged 18% interest on credit transactions.
WTF?

Your intentions might be good, but your info is terrible.

Choosing credit at the POS just uses the VISA/MC payment network. It still is a debit purchase but now has some of VISA/MC protections.

Besides, even if you were making a credit charge on an actual credit card, where does this 18% come from?

Old 01-04-2016, 12:51 PM

22,590 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionsRGood View Post
Not really... and if it were possible, that 18% (why that %?) would kick in only if you did not pay off your balance in full.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 891 times
This past Thanksgiving, I was with my family having a great time and I never took my debit card out that day, but i had been using it at different places earlier that week, that Saturday I checked my account and there was a $403 withdrawal from my account and i knew I didn't do it, i went to my bank and they told me that it was withdrawn at a atm somewhere where i had never been and they used my pin number, how is that possible, because I had my debit card in my wallet?

Old 11-30-2016, 01:19 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoods6 View Post
This past Thanksgiving, I was with my family having a great time and I never took my debit card out that day, but i had been using it at different places earlier that week, that Saturday I checked my account and there was a $403 withdrawal from my account and i knew I didn't do it, i went to my bank and they told me that it was withdrawn at a atm somewhere where i had never been and they used my pin number, how is that possible, because I had my debit card in my wallet?
The thief got hold of both your debit card number and PIN, and made a duplicate card. It's not hard to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance