Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What social class would you consider the Hoovers?
Upper Class 4 15.38%
Upper Middle Class 2 7.69%
Middle Class 1 3.85%
Working Class 1 3.85%
Working Poor 11 42.31%
Lower Class / Underclass 8 30.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 03:00 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,380,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
lol but he didn't even mention them being black in the op
But he did admit to basing this off of blacks.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:52 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,415 times
If you truly wanted to know what class this family falls into, all you needed to post was your first and last paragraphs.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:19 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Actually,it depends on what state they live in.

In NJ,that's rock bottom dirt brick red POOR.
If she lives in Miss. or AL I think she could live on that and do well.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:42 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
I wrote more extensively on Laqueesha here:

Character Development: LaQueesha Hoover

Old 03-05-2012, 06:26 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
(Note: All names here are completely fictional, and if there happens to be a resemblance to any real person, living or dead, it is completely coincidental).

LaQueesha, a 32-year-old woman, lives with her 3 children, DeWayne, 16, Moesha, 14, and Jackson Jr., 6, in a small apartment in a somewhat marginal neighborhood. She works as a manager at a fast-casual restaurant chain's outlet, which pays her roughly $25,000 a year.

DeWayne Hoover's father is "Anthony" (49), who ran down south to his uncle's house as soon as LaQueesha's pregnancy was made known to him; Moesha Hoover's father is "Tyrone" (40), who was LaQueesha's abusive partner that finally got locked up for drug-related charges; and Jackson Jr.'s (last name "Hill") father is "Jackson", who broke up with LaQueesha shortly after his birth. She only receives child support payments from Jackson.

DeWayne tried out for his high school's football team, but did not make the cut and is at imminent risk for dropping out; however, Moesha is a promising, college-bound student who participates in her school's Speech team and gets good grades all around. She will surely be the first one in the family to graduate high school, although LaQueesha obtained her GED at the age of 23 and dabbled in community college for a semester.

LaQueesha generally listens to the city's "urban" station, "Hot 99", but never misses the daily celebrity gossip show on "Mix 107" and she generally does not read except when necessary, but has a voluminous TV diet, with "Keeping Up With the Kardashians" and "American Idol" as the highlights of her viewing week.

The only travel the family has ever experienced together has been to Detroit, an 12-hour Greyhound bus ride, to see family members, and to family reunions on the shore, which they attend sporadically. LaQueesha drives a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix, but as the car is of dubious reliability, rarely drives it out of town. Moesha, however, has been selected to go to Washington D.C. for a youth conference, which she will fly to. It will be the first time any of the Hoovers have been on a plane.

She occasionally attends church, but not frequently - usually when her grandmother goes. As for politics, she is mostly apathetic but supported Obama.

The family has absolutely no investments other than LaQueesha's car, valued at $2500, and perhaps their new 45" LCD TV, valued at $800. LaQueesha does get a large tax refund every year because of the Earned Income Tax Credit program.

(This is my last "social class" post here, don't worry about me spamming the boards).

I would say....working poor. Lower middle class? This was my babysitters family, but they are white.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:48 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
My question to you is this -- what the hell does this have to do with personal finance?

I am sick to death of people coming on various boards posing questions that are purposely inflammatory in order to start sh*t.

SO -- let's have a refresher on how to block posters. Click on My Settings near the top of your screen, scroll down to Edit Your Ignore List under Settings and Options, put a screen name into the add a name box and click okay.

The posts won't completely disappear, but you won't have to read the crap they spew.
Right, people should stop giving in to these pointless posts. It only creates debates that lead to anger and negativity.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:51 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Closing this one. Where was Uncle Ruckus and distant cousin Thugnificent who became a promising rapper?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance