Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 05:48 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,131,647 times

Advertisements

RN's can make terrific money in Connecticut. Connecticut has a shortage of RNs and offers sign on bonuses and also offers a bonus if you refer a RN friend that is hired. In 2004 the starting pay for an RN was about 50,000, I can only imagine it has increased since then. Do keep in mind that Connecticut is a very expensive state to live in so you would have to weigh salary and cost of living. I was told by the RNs in Florida how terrible they pay scale is. It seems many have a part time job in addition to being an RN or XRay Tech. I found that so odd after coming from a state that they are so well paid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 05:52 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,420,766 times
Pj1552, I live in a depressed part of the country and 50k even 60k is a little better than struggling. Anyway personally I think with the low pay, stress, responsibility and shift work I am actually older than my years lol.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:44 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Pj1552, I live in a depressed part of the country and 50k even 60k is a little better than struggling. Anyway personally I think with the low pay, stress, responsibility and shift work I am actually older than my years lol.
50k is median Household income in US. You are in a big city?

Old 03-05-2012, 08:24 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,420,766 times
No I am not in a big city although i traveled almost an hour and worked in the city. So my 12 hour shift with travel turned into 14 hours. Actually we are dinks and get taxed to death. The marraige pennalty did not help. Made too little money to be able to do much (invest etc) but of course made too much to get any breaks. It might sound like good money to some but it isn't.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:17 PM

296 posts, read 413,425 times
CRNA's may have "nurse" in their name, but they are much different than a regular floor nurse. In Iowa, CRNA's are making about $160K in small towns. With that income you can buy a $400K house, drive new cars, and take tropical vacations twice a year. (Sorry for the generalization, I know there are lots of variables). That sounds upper middle class to me.

On the other hand, floor nurses make about $60K here. This is not upper-middle class.

If two people making $60K have a family income of $120K, that might do it here in small town Iowa.

Side note: When I watch House Hunters on HGTV, I am amazed at the horrible houses people will pay $500K to live in. Here, $360K will get you this:

160 size 360K house picture by flip333 - Photobucket

Old 03-09-2012, 01:52 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I wish House Hunters would explain a bit about how people with X income can buy YYYY house, especially in the "second-home" segments.
The numbers truly don't add up, not even close, most of the time.
I have noticed that "Flip This House" is no longer on the air, though!

Old 03-11-2012, 10:29 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Depends on where you live helps quite a bit. I have siblings that are both nurses and make middle class incomes. The cost of living is higher where they live so their income affords them to live in mostly working class neighborhoods. Nicer areas have higher taxes which would eat up their income. Where I live it is an area of middle class to wealthy (the area is spread out). Most of my neighbors work in the medical field. Property taxes are very low so that gives you more income for a nicer home in a nicer area.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:52 PM

334 posts, read 537,341 times
Contract nurses make good incomes.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:49 AM

2 posts, read 11,088 times
Default Should I become a CNA before getting RN?

Hello all, I am 36 yrs old going back to school in the fall for RN. I have read a lot of posts how new grads are having trouble finding jobs because of no experience. Should I go get my CNA and start working in a hospital to get hospital experience so that when I do graduate as an RN I have some experience working in a hospital setting

Old 03-14-2012, 10:18 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandiLJ View Post
Hello all, I am 36 yrs old going back to school in the fall for RN. I have read a lot of posts how new grads are having trouble finding jobs because of no experience. Should I go get my CNA and start working in a hospital to get hospital experience so that when I do graduate as an RN I have some experience working in a hospital setting
This is what my siblings did. They are both nurses and worked as CNA's while in school. It gave them a good perspective on what they were getting themselves into. Nursing is a stressful field with long hours. It is both mentally and physically draining. Being a CNA gave them real experience other than clinicals but also when a nursing position opened at the hospital, they had a better shot at it because a lot of hospitals do in-house hiring first before looking at outsiders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance