Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:28 AM

182 posts, read 477,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradlover View Post
What sort of jobs are available to High School and College students during the summer?

What is pay usually?
When I was in high school, my summer jobs were as follows:
  • Grocey Store Clerk ($5.50 an hour Mon-Sat and $8.25 an hour on Sun and for overtime)
  • Summer Camp Counselor ($5.85 an hour)
  • Crew member at Taco Bell ($5.50-$6.75 an hour)
In college, my summer jobs were:
  • Assistant Director at Summer Camp ($6.50 per hour)
  • Internships with Federal Government ($10.00 per hour as an underclassman, $12.00 per hour as an upperclassman)
In college, I also had a TON of friends that were servers at restaurants. The only made like $2.50 an hour, but their tips were amazing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 06:21 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
The Red Cross offers a lifesaving course to certify life guards. Once certified, public pools offer employment. The pay traditionally isn't great, but it's a pretty good gig for the summer.

Babysitting. Amusement parks. Ice cream stores. Mowing lawns.
That's what my son will be doing. You can supplement that by coaching a local, summer swim team if you are a swimmer.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:30 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
The Red Cross offers a lifesaving course to certify life guards. Once certified, public pools offer employment. The pay traditionally isn't great, but it's a pretty good gig for the summer.
Lifeguard jobs pay reasonably well, especially at private pools. If you are good, you can teach swim lessons and the pay for swim lessons is often very good. It is a GREAT job, and in many areas the supply of lifeguards is low.

My son earned $11/hr last summer as a "head" lifeguard. He earned over $20/hr for private swim lessons. He also worked at a different pool as a summer league swim coach.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:17 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
Minimum wage in WA is $9 / hr.

Many high schoolers here pull in that plus tips if they work at a smoothie stand or coffee hut.

Up in some of the other areas of the city and area, there's bikini huts that I've heard employ high school girls and they get serious cash. That's secondhand knowledge though, I prefer my coffee without scantily clad women serving me it.

The HS'ers can work a variety of jobs, ranging from office worker (doing the jobs nobody else wants to do) or babysitter or tutor if they're smart. Some tech firms hire summer HS interns to work at their firms so they get some basic experience and training which is a HUGE plus. And they get paid better than minimum wage.

The college folks should be able to get internships at one of the science/tech/engineering firms around here. Other than that, finance in Seattle pretty much died when WaMu collapsed. Medical work I think people going after their nursing or medical degrees get assigned here pretty regularly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance