Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 01:10 AM

297 posts, read 726,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Why did your dad not tell you where the will was?
He did! He kept all of this information in one spot in his office!

He also sent me a copy and my brother a copy. So we had plenty of copies.

The only problem was the will was a copy and not the original! But the bank wanted an original or a "certified copy"!

We found that elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 01:12 AM

37,111 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow4yield View Post
Actually that is what my dad did, had it recorded at the court house. And his was a bit more complex than your basic will.

But anyway a bank wanted a "certified copy" of the will. And we were able to get a certified copy from the court house for a fee of $10 or whatever.

Then did not have to pay the "extortionate" $2000.00 charges the lawyer wanted.

Also we found the original.

And a law for the state also said the executor could sign a statement attesting that the will was valid, etc.

After going thorough this with my dad, I decided to have my will updated. My lawyer said he could keep the original for me...

I said "I DON"T THINK SO!"
It seems as if there must be something you are leaving out of this story. What did the lawyer want $2000 to do exactly?

And wouldn't have been easier if the lawyer did have the original?

Old 03-12-2012, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It seems as if there must be something you are leaving out of this story. What did the lawyer want $2000 to do exactly?

And wouldn't have been easier if the lawyer did have the original?
Actually a trust, but that was his will. And maybe 10 pages total.

He wanted $2000.00 JUST for a certified copy of the will/trust. That is all we asked of the lawyer.

The same thing the court house gave us. A copy of the will/trust "stamped" with an official stamp and maybe signed by the clerk? I don't remember what made it "certified".

As to WHY the lawyer did this? Maybe because he could?

Old 03-12-2012, 07:02 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,545 times
I have two original wills, both the same, one is in my safe, the other was given to my PR.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
I have two original wills, both the same, one is in my safe, the other was given to my PR.
http://www.americanbar.org/content/d...thcheckdam.pdf

"It's not a bad idea to make a few unsigned copies of your will and have them available for ready reference, but to avoid confusion, you should sign only one original. This--and only this--is your legally valid will."

Old 03-12-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow4yield View Post
Actually a trust, but that was his will. And maybe 10 pages total.

He wanted $2000.00 JUST for a certified copy of the will/trust. That is all we asked of the lawyer.

The same thing the court house gave us. A copy of the will/trust "stamped" with an official stamp and maybe signed by the clerk? I don't remember what made it "certified".

As to WHY the lawyer did this? Maybe because he could?
Sorry, but this is still not making sense. How could the attorney give you a certified copy if he did not have the original? If he had a copy, it would be unsigned.

The court house had a copy of the signed original. Big difference. Essentially what they had was a certified copy, and they made another certified copy from it.

I think that the reason for the high lawyer's fee was that he was going to have to try to prove to the court that the unsigned copy was the deceased person's last will and testament. That sounds as if it would be tricky to do, maybe impossible, and would involve going to court.

I am happy that you were able to get your situation resolved, but it could have been avoided if your dad either left the original with the attorney or told you where the original was.

Advising people to put the original in a safety deposit box when that might lead to a delay in probating the will is not a good idea.

http://www.americanbar.org/content/d...thcheckdam.pdf

"While many people keep their wills in their safe deposit boxes at a bank, in some jurisdictions the law requires those boxes to be sealed immediately after death, until the estate is sorted out. Needless to say, if your will is inside that box--or your cemetery deeds and burial instructions--sorting things out might get pretty complicated. If you do keep it in a safe deposit box, make sure to provide that someone else (and certainly the executor you name) can get at the will when you die. Tell your executor and your beneficiaries where the will is located, and make sure your executor, or someone you trust, has authority (and a key!) to open the box after your death. Many estates have gone through long probate delays because the bank didn't have permission to let anyone open the safe deposit box except the person who had just died."

Old 03-12-2012, 10:15 AM

I'm not going to argue. Different states have different laws. NO COURT REQUIRED!

The LAW in this case for the state of residence allows a person knowledgeable about the will (Lawyer, executor, trustee) to attest that the will/trust is valid. Just a signed notarized piece of paper stating that and attached to the will/trust.

The lawyer was GREEDY plain and simple.

My bank will allow the safe deposit box to be opened to look for a will. That is all that matters!
And there is no charge for this. I trust the bank more than lawyers...

Old 03-12-2012, 10:27 AM

P.S. When you get down to basics, it is what the BANK REQUIRES to transfer/distribute an account upon death.

You can tell them your lawyer said this and that until you are blue in the face, it does not matter! It is what THEY will accept.

For example many banks will not accept a power of attorney. You can wave that power of attorney in the banks face all you want, but if they will not accept it, then that is that!

Bottom line: Get it straight from the horse - Ask your bank about these things.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:18 PM

3,920 posts, read 6,833,898 times
What about your siblings kids? Your nephews or nieces? A lot of times, I see them get completely overlooked. If you have enough issues with your siblings that you don't want to give them anything, then what if you help your nephews and nieces? They probably never wronged you, and if you hardly know them, at least they are family.

A lot of younger people are heavy in college debt, and lack proper jobs to pay for their loans. You should treat them like charity if they seem hard on times and you can feel good about it knowing they are family.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:07 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,802,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
What about your siblings kids? Your nephews or nieces? A lot of times, I see them get completely overlooked. If you have enough issues with your siblings that you don't want to give them anything, then what if you help your nephews and nieces? They probably never wronged you, and if you hardly know them, at least they are family.

A lot of younger people are heavy in college debt, and lack proper jobs to pay for their loans. You should treat them like charity if they seem hard on times and you can feel good about it knowing they are family.
I think this is a good idea if the children exhibit qualities you'd like to reward, i.e. fiscal responsibility, meaning not gambling or spending money wildly. My nephews are my age so I will have to wait to see how their children turn out (if they choose to have any). My husband's sisters have no children and probably won't so they'll be no flow in that direction. Cousins or cousins' kids might be the best bet for us. Don't know if the OP is in a similar position or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance