Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 06:50 PM

64 posts, read 376,455 times

Advertisements

For the first time in my life, here I am .... No job, No Income, health problems, lots of medical expenses, prescription drug costs, and no
hope for the future. Having now to file Bankruptcy, will Lose my Car,
which means No car - No way to even get to a job if I were offered one.

I don't think I've ever felt so horrible in my life. I woke up this morning
and my only thought was, "I just want to die"......

I'm broken, devastated, sad, depressed and don't know how to begin
putting my life back together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 06:57 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Think of those who love you. I think your kids would rather have a father with no job than none at all.
Imagine if the millions who have exhausted their unemployment benefits did so.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:59 PM

14 posts, read 52,101 times
Have hope that things will turn around. Life sometimes gives your struggles so you can be stronger later. All the best.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:23 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,505,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugDaddyNJ View Post
For the first time in my life, here I am .... No job, No Income, health problems, lots of medical expenses, prescription drug costs, and no
hope for the future. Having now to file Bankruptcy, will Lose my Car,
which means No car - No way to even get to a job if I were offered one.

I don't think I've ever felt so horrible in my life. I woke up this morning
and my only thought was, "I just want to die"......

I'm broken, devastated, sad, depressed and don't know how to begin
putting my life back together.
Unemployment? Welfare? Food Stamps? COBRA? You can buy Health insurance plus free clinics. How much is the total debt? You financed a car?

Old 03-24-2012, 11:47 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
PugDaddy -- look into getting presscription cards or assistance through the non generic makers of the drugs you are taking. Some of them offer low income drug cards.

You have to do some research as to what you are taking. Like -- my mom took Procardia from Pfizer. The generic is nifedipine. With her Pfizer card she got Procardia for 15 bucks a month.

The hard part is breaking the pharmacist. They reach for the generic all the time, which your card WON'T cover.... so she ended up telling them all the time. (Also in my mom's case she had to take Procardia -- the generic's binders caused her all sorts of problems and rendered the medication ineffective)

There really are resources out here for you -- you just have to find them.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:55 AM

566 posts, read 958,003 times
Move back in with your parents.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:51 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
I can usually find something positive about any situation.

When it gets REALLY bad, I say to myself... "It can't get any worse than this, things are bound to improve." (i.e. There is nothing more left to go wrong, the only direction left is up!)

With that said, we all like to have jobs and be independent. But sometimes things happen and you need to figure out how you are going to survive with nothing...

Luckily there is a LOT of help out there. Unfortunately people who have worked all their lives don't know a thing about any of this.

The hardest part is asking for help. Learning what resources are out there to help you.

Get down to basics. You need food, water, shelter. You will always have that in America. Just ask.

Search google.com for the following words...
new jersey food stamps

Call or visit some of these places. Tell them your situation about everything including housing if that is a problem and your prescriptions. They not only can help with food stamps, but also know about all sorts of other help and services. And can direct you to other places which can help you.

Then call or go to those other places and tell them about all your needs. Those other places might know of still more places which can help.

Also search google.com for the words...
new jersey food boxes

Some of these places are churches or non-profit groups which can help you right now today. Again tell them your needs. They might be able to help you with some stuff and direct you to other places which can help.

As for your prescriptions, also talk to your doctor's office and ask if there is anything you can do. They may have some solutions. Or might know of somewhere which can help.

I have been in this situation and it is very difficult at first. Just switching from being independent to relying on others for help. But you have probably been paying taxes for years to support a lot of this stuff. Just think of it as a tax refund you are due!

Take care...

Old 03-25-2012, 12:23 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Billy J's answer is a good one. Especially if you've been a productive your entire life, you are certainly entitled to help from the many agencies, churches, and individuals who are willing and able to help you.

First of all you are very depressed, so I would seek assistance for that. I got almost-free medical care from a low-income clinic once. I had a good doctor, antidepressants were prescribed and they only cost me $4 a month. The best thing of all: there was a case worker there who was able to point me to all the state services I was eligible for. She got me the right forms and gave me advice on filling them out.

Please, please check that kind of thing out. Following are links that are applicable to New Jersey:

http://www.njfamilycare.org/index.html

New Jersey free community clinics

The Beehive New Jersey | Free help with money, housing, jobs, health and school, available in English and Spanish.

New Jersey mental health professionals run a help line you can call toll-free: 877-294-4357

You can also get help paying utilities:
http://www.njcleanenergy.com/residen...tance-programs

Also, Google the name of the NJ county you are in along with the words "neighborhood and social services." Most counties have lists that are online.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 03-25-2012 at 12:34 AM.. Reason: added links

Old 03-25-2012, 07:51 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
You won't lose your car or your house. Over a decade ago I helped a relative through bankruptcy and it turned out to be the turning point of his life. He now has $200K in the bank. Hang in there

Old 03-25-2012, 08:32 PM

17,262 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
You won't lose your car or your house. Over a decade ago I helped a relative through bankruptcy and it turned out to be the turning point of his life. He now has $200K in the bank. Hang in there
Not 100% correct:

If there are payments on the car/home and they aren't made they will get repo'd.

If the car is free and clear and worth over $2,000 it may have to be sold to satisfy a creditor.

That being said, PugDaddy end the pity party. Get up tommorow morning and "OWN THE DAY!" Don't let anything get in your way, buy the paper, look for any job (even something lower level than you last had, it will boost your confidence). Set a schedule, just like a job. Get out of the house by 8am and don't go home until 5pm spending your time looking for another job. Shower/shave/look your best, it will improve your outlook 100%!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance