U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 02:16 PM

15,952 posts, read 12,417,192 times

Advertisements

Fill my gas tank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 02:20 PM

7,590 posts, read 7,989,745 times
I posted this on another thread:

I might move to a somewhat nicer house with a bigger yard, but don't see myself buying a mansion or anything particularly lavish. I'd also share with friends and family members, at least enough to get everyone out of debt and pay for whatever education anyone wanted or needed. Plus some money to play with. I'd buy a couple of properties in great locations and make them available to whoever wanted to use them.

But what I really dream about is setting up a non-profit foundation to fund causes I'm interested in. I'd like to buy land as close in to town as possible and create an a amazing park--rivaling Central Park or Golden Gate park, but on a smaller scale. (Our community is sorely lacking in beautiful public projects.) I'd set up an entirely free spay-neuter clinic with flexible hours for animals in our community. I'd set up a scholarship program targeted toward single parents. I'd put together an endowment for our local public tv and radio station so they wouldn't have to beg for funds all the time. Same for our local library system.

I could go on and on, but for me the joy would come from creating things I wish we had in our community and giving people who are struggling the opportunity to have a productive and meaningful life.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:31 PM

151 posts, read 25,837 times
Interesting replies. I feel the way a lot do. I also have family I want nothing to do with and don't want the whole world knowing I got the money. I love to help homeless folks who are just down on their luck so would do something there to help and would love to help a animal shelter or at least possibly finance a large animal shelter where I move to. Thinking about Switzerland.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:42 PM

25,486 posts, read 16,813,372 times
I'd probably take it in installments then give a bunch of it to other people and let them be responsible for it. I wouldn't even want to be in control of that much money. I'd give to charities, set up some family trusts and whatnot and basically just live life like I always do, but without worrying about money. My ex husband would be happy because I'd definitely let him off the hook for spousal support! Haha!

Old 03-30-2012, 02:51 PM

8,731 posts, read 7,253,499 times
I said this in another thread, but I would not tell ANYONE I won the lottery, including my young adult kids because I want them to have a good work ethic. When I die, they can find out then when they inherit a lot of money that I was rich. Until them, let them work - it's good for them. In my state you can remain anonymous (only 5 states let you do that) if you win. I would help family but without making it obvious I was rich.

I would pay off all my debts. I would pay off all my kids' student loans. I would buy each of my kids a modest home. I could make up a convincing story as to how I had money for this. Maybe say the money came from their grandparents who died within the last two years.

I'd pay off my siblings' homes and debt, again thinking of some kind of story about where the money came from without telling anyone I had millions.

I'd buy a big, nicer, newer house with a little acreage, maybe 5 to 20 acres. I'd still want to be close to the city so I don't a big farm or ranch, just room for some outbuildings and a big yard.

I'd buy a winter home someplace warm. I wouldn't spend one more winter in the snow and ice.

I'd travel to all the places I've always wanted to go - Pompeii at the top of the list, the Holy Land, Egypt, France, other parts of Italy, Greece, Bora Bora, and places I don't even know about yet.

I'd plan a big family extravaganza/vacation somewhere, but not too extravagant - just something fun to get everyone together in one place away from home (still have to downplay being rich).

I'd want to do something for homeless/abused animals. Not sure what. I like a couple of the ideas for cats I've seen on this thread so far. Maybe help homeless/abused people too, but I have to say sometimes I have a lot more empathy for animals than people because sometimes people (not all) create their own problems and animals are at the mercy of humans. I'd give to charities and worthwhile causes as I saw fit, but I'd probably want to see first hand what/who I was helping instead of writing a check that paid the salaries of executives at a charity.

I might try to do something with restoring and maintaing historic/abandoned cemeteries and also creating green cemeteries or figuring out a better way. I mean, if everyone is buried in a traditional grave one of these days we are going to run out of space for the people still living!

The rest I would invest and I'd live off of the interest. If my kids were still young I'd set it up so they didn't get all of it at once. I want them to know the value of hard work and don't want them to become lazy/unambitious.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:59 PM

8,619 posts, read 12,249,116 times
I'm gonna win. I have not bought a lottery ticket in 10 years and today, I was driving to work and my car just pulled into the gas station and my wife asked why we were stopping and it just came out that I wanted some tickets. I didn't even plan on it. Something subconscious. That means something.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:07 PM

11,338 posts, read 8,180,026 times
Pay off my mortgage
buy 2 new cars
give money to immediate family
pay off credit card
buy another house
buy a private jet
hire a maid
go on a lavish vacation
Buy an apartment in Chicago so when I visit my nephew I have a place to stay instead of getting a hotel room
the possibilities are endless.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:24 PM

7,590 posts, read 7,989,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I'm gonna win. I have not bought a lottery ticket in 10 years and today, I was driving to work and my car just pulled into the gas station and my wife asked why we were stopping and it just came out that I wanted some tickets. I didn't even plan on it. Something subconscious. That means something.
Well don't forget about your friends over here at City-Data!

Old 03-30-2012, 03:34 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,634,468 times
unless you actually enjoy investing or real estate and would be doing it for fun why bother?

Old 03-30-2012, 03:41 PM

5,341 posts, read 9,328,409 times
help alot of people , the working people who need it!! Strangers to me, I dont need any money so it would be fufilling to help others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance