Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 02:31 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,041 times

Advertisements

...aren't afraid to discuss how much they make and those who make average/below average incomes are so tight lipped?

I just find this completely ironic and I do not think it stems from any embarrassment on the part of those who make less.

I've noticed this among friends, at work, and in general.

I realize talking about finances is generally looked down on but poorer folks seem incredibly more tight lipped about theirs than wealthier ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 02:39 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
What you describe has not been my experience.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:42 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
My wife and boss are the only ones who know what I make and it will stay that way. Those who brag probably make significantly less than they are claiming.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:45 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Maybe it's an NJ thing, but folks under 40 are generally more open about what they make. I've heard plenty of folks discuss their incomes ranging from $10/hr to mid six figures.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:46 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,654,156 times
It is bad manners. I feel embarassed for people when they feel the need to discuss their salary in a social setting. Tacky.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:03 PM

202 posts, read 472,819 times
Some people just like to brag. The ones that don't make much don't have much to brag about even they would like to. I just stay away from the braggarts and that makes me happy.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:04 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
I have not found this to be true in the Midwest. If that is true where you live it may be that people feel they will be treated better if they have more money. So if your income is below the median you believe others will look down on you. Therefore the less said the better.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:35 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
My wife and boss are the only ones who know what I make and it will stay that way.
I never had that luxury because my salary was a public record. In fact, my entire financial situation was open to the public. Every year I had to file a financial disclosure form that not only listed all my assets and liabilities, it also included every stock I bought and sold during the year. Anyone could contact my employer and request a copy of my form at any time.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:43 PM

106,654 posts, read 108,790,719 times
i just find this whole ssssshhhhh no one should know our finances thing a big much ado about nothing.

strangers tell strangers about their illicit love affairs, their sex lives etc but heaven forbid someone knows how much you make or have.

when you really think about there is no reason everything has to be a big secreat unless your living a financial lie.

all the time i talk about when marilyn and i were approached by money magazine to do a story on us.

they wanted their team of pros to go head to head against my own planning and strategies since im a do it yourselfer .

at first marilyn said no way does she want our financial pants pulled down for 8 million people to read.

but then we thought about it and we couldnt think of one valid reason everything had to be kept a big secreat .

were long lost relatives coming out of the woodwork? noooo

were we going to get kidnapped? nooooo

were we living a financial lie? nooooo

were charities going to call us? perhaps.

well when we really thought about this big secreacy surrounding finances we realized it was all a crock of crap.

i think most people just dont want it known for 2 reasons.

1 they are living beyond their means or 2 they are embarressed by how little they may have.

so we did the article and not 1 charity called either.

fidelity investment magazine asked to do a little story on us too and we said okay without even a thought.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:45 PM

106,654 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I never had that luxury because my salary was a public record. In fact, my entire financial situation was open to the public. Every year I had to file a financial disclosure form that not only listed all my assets and liabilities, it also included every stock I bought and sold during the year. Anyone could contact my employer and request a copy of my form at any time.
i guess they do that when your incarcerated ... ha ha ha...

hope all is well in vegas... im not jealous of your weather here in new york this year as we had an amazingly warm winter.

take care...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance