Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 06:44 AM

566 posts, read 958,339 times

Advertisements

I'm not a millionaire, but my parents are. However, I'm only 28 and expect to have a net worth of at least $1-2 million within the next 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 07:42 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
thats such a crock of bull.." wont compromise your values"... thats laughable.

no where is it written to be worth a million bucks that you have to do anything unethical. i can tell you first hand that is a cop out answer and so far out in left field .

theres always an excuse for those un-motivated financially . usually its the fault of everything and everyone else or the fact they have no motivation,drive ,luck or ability to do better. .

its okay to not be motivated by money , not everyone is , i get that but dont try to hand us that you have to compromise your personal values as your reason. investing in funds and having it grow is no more a breach of your personal values then working for a living.

taking a shot with a business or investing in markets or a rental property is not unethical unless you want to be unethical last time i checked.

when the time comes to retire and you cant make it on your own income and have no money for your own medical care or nursing home care sponging off the tax payers wont be a compromise of your personal values?

no one needs more money until they need it. you know what having money does? it gives you choices in life. to be able to have choices is what life is about many times.

as a kid i grew up in a lower middle class family, actually a very lower middle class family in a nyc housing project. you had to be almost in poverty to qualify in those days for a nyc project.

my friend got into some trouble and his family income was just over the limit for legal aid.

he couldnt afford a lawyer and was offered a plea bargain to plead guilty. he had NO CHOICE but to plead guilty to something he didnt do. he couldnt risk pleading not guilty with no lawyer.

how do i know he didnt do it? because i was supposed to be part of it and my friend and i chickened out and didnt go with the group.

a family member ended up mortgaging their house and my friend got a lawyer and was found not guilty.

yep life is about choices, and choices cost money.

not having an interest in money is never a problem, that is,until its a problem.
That is a really great post and I don't think it could be said better. I really believe that poverty is the root of all evil, not money.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:31 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Money isnt the root of most evil, lack of money is

Old 05-08-2012, 09:13 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
thats such a crock of bull.." wont compromise your values"... thats laughable.

no where is it written to be worth a million bucks that you have to do anything unethical. i can tell you first hand that is a cop out answer and so far out in left field ..
Maybe my ethical values are not the same as yours. For example, my ethical values do not consist mainly of raging diatribes ridiculing and insulting other posters.

By the way, do you realize that telling someone something "first hand" is the same thing as saying something that "nowhere is it written"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
That is a really great post and I don't think it could be said better. .
Oh, don't underestimate yourself. You could have said it a lot better. You use capitals and apostrophes and commas, you form syntactically complete sentences and correct grammar, you draw logical and non-contradictory conclusions. You take a moment to think before you write. You avoid using simplistic anecdotal evidence as proof of sweeping and self-gratifying truisms, you have a basic fundamental and historical comprehension of economics and human nature. You're mot motivated by anger and greed and a a burning need to belittle others.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-08-2012 at 09:45 AM..

Old 05-08-2012, 09:27 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Maybe my ethical values are not the same as yours. For example, my ethical values do not consist mainly of raging diatribes ridiculing and insulting other posters.

By the way, do you realize that telling someone something "first hand" is the same thing as saying something that "nowhere is it written"?
So, you consider it ridicule if someone is in disagreement with you?

Old 05-08-2012, 10:26 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:

Oh, don't underestimate yourself. You could have said it a lot better. You use capitals and apostrophes and commas, you form syntactically complete sentences and correct grammar, you draw logical and non-contradictory conclusions. You take a moment to think before you write. You avoid using simplistic anecdotal evidence as proof of sweeping and self-gratifying truisms, you have a basic fundamental and historical comprehension of economics and human nature. You're mot motivated by anger and greed and a a burning need to belittle others.
If you think the truth about people is insulting and ridiculing then i guess you will just have to think that.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:27 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:

So what don't you do? Do you have job? Car? Are we talking you'll only work at a non profit?

Old 05-08-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
So what don't you do? Do you have job? Car? Are we talking you'll only work at a non profit?
I don't know if you have noticed this or not, but the world is not all black and white. Nobody can spend their whole life absolutely conforming at every moment with their core values. There are compromises that need to be made, and some people try to make them without selling out and losing sight of their values and principles.

Money is neither the absolute root of evil, nor the absolute key to virtue. It is somewhere in between. Becoming a millionaire lies outside the acceptable middle-ground for me. By choosing to take very little, it was not necessary for me to give a great deal back. My answer to the question of why I am not a millionaire. I don't want to be, and more importantly, I don't need to be. And most importantly of all, I am not spending my old age wishing I had done things differently.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:38 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
I don't know if you have noticed this or not, but the world is not all black and white. Nobody can spend their whole life absolutely conforming at every moment with their core values. There are compromises that need to be made, and some people try to make them without selling out and losing sight of their values and principles.

Money is neither the absolute root of evil, nor the absolute key to virtue. It is somewhere in between. Becoming a millionaire lies outside the acceptable middle-ground for me. By choosing to take very little, it was not necessary for me to give a great deal back. My answer to the question of why I am not a millionaire. I don't want to be, and more importantly, I don't need to be. And most importantly of all, I am not spending my old age wishing I had done things differently.
It seems your goal here is to be very general. It's quite possible to do everything you did and still have a million. Not much difference in giving continually over life conpared to a big lump sum at the end.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
It seems your goal here is to be very general. It's quite possible to do everything you did and still have a million. Not much difference in giving continually over life conpared to a big lump sum at the end.
Anything is possible, but I usually make plans based on the probable. Through my whole life, I always had enough to do everything I wanted to do, without ever being anywhere near a millionaire. If I get a big lump sum at the end, it will be too late, but instead I had what I wanted all my life, and that is a huge difference.

When I respond go general forum topics, yes, I am very general. Unlike those above, who insist that everyone needs to do exactly what they did, in order to fulfill ones own set of unique goals.

You can do whatever you want to, with any set of goals and principles of your choice. I answered the OPs question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
isn't the truth is that your simply not as smart as you think you are? Your not really that talented - you would have done it already.
No, that's not why. I could have learned to speak Italian, too. It's a little bit presumptuous of the OP to assume that I was not smart enough to, just because I didn't. I'm also smart enough to spell "you're" correctly.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-08-2012 at 03:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance