U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-14-2012, 07:43 PM
 
1,081 posts, read 1,701,660 times
Reputation: 1495

Advertisements

We live in a society where everyone is an expert an on everything - Everyone you meet on daily basis claims to know everything- you can't escape this know it all attitude, its everywhere. I see so many people pretending to smarter than they actually are - but they are just really average when it comes down to it. But there is not point in trying tell them that - they will insist they are some kind of genuis.

A large percentage of the population are highly educated, have apparently high IQs - but at same time despite having high IQs choose to work for fairly average wages.

Whilst I am not saying everything is about money - I see so many people who act like they have everything figured but at the same time choose to slave away for most of their lives.

Therefore - no excuses, no bull - if your not very well off already, or have something in the pipeline - isn't the truth is that your simply not as smart as you think you are? Your not really that talented - you would have done it already.

I mean honestly if your truly talented, or smart you have developed or invented something, found a business opportunity - not just followed a degree course for 4 years and did some exams -produced a dissertation thats not worth the paper its written on - and produced no decent research - basically just rewriting previous research. Why would you choose to run some business just making a marginal profit, why would you choose to work in a job where you just get by and make a living. If you had some talent that created real value- wouldn't employers all over the world be knocking at your door to employ you, begging you to come work for them?


My point is this - its all very well talking about IQ and knowledge - but there are few and far between people who can actually invent genuine innovations, who can develop large businesses etc.

Therefore point is - Your not talented enough, not smart enough, your not a millionaire at the moment and its unlikely that you ever will be - if you were you would have done it already.

Last edited by mikeyking; 04-14-2012 at 07:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-14-2012, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Fairfield, CT
5,538 posts, read 8,199,914 times
Reputation: 5790
For self-made people, wealth is largely a function of age. I have a lot more money than I did 10 or 20 years ago, but my level of intelligence hasn't changed (though level of knowledge and experience has).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2012, 07:50 PM
 
Location: Fairfield, CT
5,538 posts, read 8,199,914 times
Reputation: 5790
Also I'd say, if you're going to go on a rant, spell correctly. "You're" is the contraction for "you are," while "your" is a possessive adjective to describe ownership of something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2012, 08:00 PM
 
1,081 posts, read 1,701,660 times
Reputation: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Also I'd say, if you're going to go on a rant, spell correctly. "You're" is the contraction for "you are," while "your" is a possessive adjective to describe ownership of something.
Ok, so you are not going to answer the question then? Just take it back to a discussion about grammar - I am guessing your not a millionaire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2012, 08:26 PM
 
4,044 posts, read 5,952,401 times
Reputation: 3819
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
We live in a society where everyone is an expert an on everything - Everyone you meet on daily basis claims to know everything- you can't escape this know it all attitude, its everywhere. I see so many people pretending to smarter than they actually are - but they are just really average when it comes down to it. But there is not point in trying tell them that - they will insist they are some kind of genuis.

A large percentage of the population are highly educated, have apparently high IQs - but at same time despite having high IQs choose to work for fairly average wages.

Whilst I am not saying everything is about money - I see so many people who act like they have everything figured but at the same time choose to slave away for most of their lives.

Therefore - no excuses, no bull - if your not very well off already, or have something in the pipeline - isn't the truth is that your simply not as smart as you think you are? Your not really that talented - you would have done it already.

I mean honestly if your truly talented, or smart you have developed or invented something, found a business opportunity - not just followed a degree course for 4 years and did some exams -produced a dissertation thats not worth the paper its written on - and produced no decent research - basically just rewriting previous research. Why would you choose to run some business just making a marginal profit, why would you choose to work in a job where you just get by and make a living. If you had some talent that created real value- wouldn't employers all over the world be knocking at your door to employ you, begging you to come work for them?


My point is this - its all very well talking about IQ and knowledge - but there are few and far between people who can actually invent genuine innovations, who can develop large businesses etc.

Therefore point is - Your not talented enough, not smart enough, your not a millionaire at the moment and its unlikely that you ever will be - if you were you would have done it already.
I understand and sympathize with where you're coming from but you formulate your argument in a very sleazy manner.

The reason we are not all millionaires is because most of us indeed DO NOT have the kind of talents that produce miraculous inventions, mesmerize an imbecilic market with some kind of product or look everyone drools over (see celebrities...how do THEY become rich?), or talents that allow us to multiply money via speculation.

MOST people don't have such talents, you are very right about this.
But does that mean that if they don't have such talents, they are largely worthless or stupid as you seem to imply?
Or are you saying most of us are mediocre?
Oooo-hooo...the genius observation of the century!

You are obviously emphasizing only one TYPE of smarts - the speculative, ultimately selfish-kind. The kind that produces lots of money for the self so that the self can ultimately show anybody the finger whenever the self feels like it.

Many highly educated, knowledgeable people simply do not/cannot engage in big money-making pursuits. Why do you assume that everybody would even want to do that?

Most contemporaries have financial problems not because they don't produce miracle-values in the market, but because they have a very poor understanding of how to manage the money they make with their regular talents/attributes.

I am not denying there is serious intelligence (I call it "shrewed"-ness) and satisfaction in being able to accumulate wealth and have that feeling of independence from hierarchies of all sorts (the equivalent of being able to show anybody the finger).

However, to imply that smart/valuable/talented is only someone who can create lots of personal advantages is to be very obtuse and miss a lot of points about life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2012, 08:46 PM
 
Location: DFW
6,718 posts, read 11,187,950 times
Reputation: 4986
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
We live in a society where everyone is an expert an on everything - Everyone you meet on daily basis claims to know everything- you can't escape this know it all attitude, its everywhere. I see so many people pretending to smarter than they actually are - but they are just really average when it comes down to it. But there is not point in trying tell them that - they will insist they are some kind of genuis.

A large percentage of the population are highly educated, have apparently high IQs - but at same time despite having high IQs choose to work for fairly average wages.

Whilst I am not saying everything is about money - I see so many people who act like they have everything figured but at the same time choose to slave away for most of their lives.

Therefore - no excuses, no bull - if your not very well off already, or have something in the pipeline - isn't the truth is that your simply not as smart as you think you are? Your not really that talented - you would have done it already.

I mean honestly if your truly talented, or smart you have developed or invented something, found a business opportunity - not just followed a degree course for 4 years and did some exams -produced a dissertation thats not worth the paper its written on - and produced no decent research - basically just rewriting previous research. Why would you choose to run some business just making a marginal profit, why would you choose to work in a job where you just get by and make a living. If you had some talent that created real value- wouldn't employers all over the world be knocking at your door to employ you, begging you to come work for them?


My point is this - its all very well talking about IQ and knowledge - but there are few and far between people who can actually invent genuine innovations, who can develop large businesses etc.

Therefore point is - Your not talented enough, not smart enough, your not a millionaire at the moment and its unlikely that you ever will be - if you were you would have done it already.
What crowd are you addressing this to?

Teenagers?

20-30 somethings?

60-70 somethings?

The first 2 obviously still have a chance if they're not millionaires right now. The last one has very slim chances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2012, 08:47 PM
 
5,496 posts, read 8,179,751 times
Reputation: 7357
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
We live in a society where everyone is an expert an on everything - Everyone you meet on daily basis claims to know everything- you can't escape this know it all attitude, its everywhere. I see so many people pretending to smarter than they actually are - but they are just really average when it comes down to it. But there is not point in trying tell them that - they will insist they are some kind of genuis.

A large percentage of the population are highly educated, have apparently high IQs - but at same time despite having high IQs choose to work for fairly average wages.

Whilst I am not saying everything is about money - I see so many people who act like they have everything figured but at the same time choose to slave away for most of their lives.

Therefore - no excuses, no bull - if your not very well off already, or have something in the pipeline - isn't the truth is that your simply not as smart as you think you are? Your not really that talented - you would have done it already.

I mean honestly if your truly talented, or smart you have developed or invented something, found a business opportunity - not just followed a degree course for 4 years and did some exams -produced a dissertation thats not worth the paper its written on - and produced no decent research - basically just rewriting previous research. Why would you choose to run some business just making a marginal profit, why would you choose to work in a job where you just get by and make a living. If you had some talent that created real value- wouldn't employers all over the world be knocking at your door to employ you, begging you to come work for them?


My point is this - its all very well talking about IQ and knowledge - but there are few and far between people who can actually invent genuine innovations, who can develop large businesses etc.

Therefore point is - Your not talented enough, not smart enough, your not a millionaire at the moment and its unlikely that you ever will be - if you were you would have done it already
.

No, I'm working on it!!!

Many "overnight successes" took YEARS of work!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2012, 08:51 PM
 
348 posts, read 358,846 times
Reputation: 318
I think you took mikeyking post the wrong way. I would bet that he is some type of business owner with employees that seem to have all the answers but yet they are unproductive and refuse to grow in their prospective positions. I could be wrong.

There are a ton of people who live frugal, work hard, and enjoy their line of work and happen to be smart, humble individuals that live prosperous happy lives. There are also people who have 20 different jobs in the last 15 years and always seem to think the grass is greener on the other side. If they would just water their grass, it would be green where its at.

I have an employee in a sales position that knows everything there is to know about the business and sales, but yet he has worked 6 sales job in the last 10 years. Sounds like the kind of person this Gentlemen was referring to. Its obvious why people in academia are mostly broke. They are so consumed trying to push a socialist agenda becaue they are on the "Government I cant get fired regardless of how poorly I perform program". (sorry for the run on).

If these genius individuals would apply themselves with some real knowledge and research, and not just listen to their favorite news castor, they could join that millionaire club one day. And no I don't buy it that it is not about money.

Last edited by proverbs23and7; 04-14-2012 at 09:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2012, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Fairfield, CT
5,538 posts, read 8,199,914 times
Reputation: 5790
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
Ok, so you are not going to answer the question then? Just take it back to a discussion about grammar - I am guessing your not a millionaire.

I'm a millionaire a few times over, actually. I thought that was implied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2012, 09:34 PM
 
1,592 posts, read 2,865,816 times
Reputation: 2124
This question reminded me of this by Kurt Vonnegut:

Kurt Vonnegut on Why the Poor Hate Themselves - Mark Wilson - Open Salon

Quote:
The meanest eating or drinking establishment, owned by a man who is himself poor, is very likely to have a sign on its wall asking this cruel question:"if you’re so smart, why ain’t you rich?” ... Americans, like human beings everywhere, believe many things that are obviously untrue. Their most destructive untruth is that it is very easy for any American to make money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top