U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 07:30 AM

380 posts, read 244,030 times
Quote:
Can anyone lend some advice?
Next time wear a condom? You should speak to a lawyer. Sometimes the courts have free legal advice on certain days of the month. Ask a clerk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 07:32 AM

10,579 posts, read 4,731,262 times
Yes- get personal- the problem with break ups is that they are controlled by a system who remove the power of BOTH parties. The "machine" takes over- if possible make personal contact and works something out- going through the courts is not always your best bet.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:21 AM

5,368 posts, read 10,247,456 times
I see this original post is over a year old, so the original poster may be long gone, but since it has been bumped back up, I don't see that anyone commented on the fact that the OP's business checking account only had $1 in it. To me, that reeks of the "I know I owe someone money and I don't want my account garnished, so I'm going to operate on a cash only basis" syndrome. If I were the person money was owed to, I might take this same step and put the OPs account in a deficit as a statement that they can't get away with that game.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:08 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,798,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? So a non-parent who doesn't pay child support for somebody else's kid is a loser? If the non-parent paid, wouldn't they still be a loser?
If you marry someone with children then you should expect them to pay their child support. If they lose their job then yes, you pay.

I honestly don't understand how anyone can stay married to a deadbeat.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:31 AM

17,206 posts, read 5,193,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
If you marry someone with children then you should expect them to pay their child support. If they lose their job then yes, you pay.

I honestly don't understand how anyone can stay married to a deadbeat.

I said nothing about the deadbeat's spouse, only whether a deadbeat who is not the biological parent is really a deadbeat. I would have a hard time dealing with an obligation imposed in such a situation, especially at my income level.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:53 AM

3,936 posts, read 2,406,207 times
Most of these problems are easily prevented by the male thinking before doing. If you are a male, once you jump in the sack you've turned over any rights you have regarding the results to the woman. That is just the way it is.

The issue of child support can be argued from many perspectives but the only one that matters is the one the law defines, everything else is just noise.

On a thinly related topic, if you've ever wonder why prostitution is so challenged by women, think about what making it legal means consider that it means. How many men would simply add up the possible consequences of child support (it often ends up that way) to the cost of engaging a prostitute? I bet more than a small number of men who are not married would just as soon engage a prostitute as jump in the sack with a "girlfriend" and risk the life changing event that unplanned parenthood can bring.

More related is the changing laws regarding marriage. It won't be too long now before child support issues affect the homosexual part of society that decides to get married. To date it hasn't really been an issue but it will soon. If the laws applied now are also applied to homosexual married couples that elect (since they don't conceive) to have children, there are going to be some very nasty consequences reported in the news within a few years.

Lawyers no doubt, are waiting in anxious anticipation.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:53 AM

4,700 posts, read 3,207,466 times
An $8K deficit in back child support sounds like more than a couple of missed payments. The children, who are likely unemployed, have had no choice, but, to figure out a way to 'manage' without the funds needed for their care. But, I guess that's 'their responsibility', right (?)

In fairness, it sounds like your husband is trying, but, kids are still his responsibility (not 'optional' if he happens to have the money on hand). --- I grew-up with an ex, 'deadbeat' father who 'ran away' and never sent a dime of child support. My mother took-up the responsibility alone and raised three kids on secretarial wages; ... It wasn't pretty and it isn't fair to the children.

Last edited by jghorton; 07-22-2013 at 12:04 PM..

Old 07-25-2013, 07:32 AM

115 posts, read 60,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
If your idiot bank actually debited your account 8K that you didn't have to send out to them, and if that pays them off, all you have to do is pay the bank back. You should be in the clear child support wise.

And if your bank was stupid enough to actually DO THIS -- then screw over your bank.

I used to handle these types of transactions at two different local banks I worked for and we never never ever overdrew the account -- we zero'ed it out, took our fee and sent what was left to the judgement holder. It makes no sense for the bank to be left holding the bag while everyone else gets satisfied.

BUT -- this isn't the first time I've heard something like this that flys in the face of what I was taught. And I'm betting you bank at a big bank. Normally I don't say stuff like this, but if your bank is really so stupid to do something so patently WRONG -- screw them.

After years of working at small banks who followed the rules and didn't get caught up in all the stuff I've been reading about for the past several years, the big banks need to be taught lessons.

I wouldn't pay this bank. I'd tell them that they should have denied any charge over the amount in the account. Further, your husband should close ALL of his bank accounts. If you are not part of the judgement, you should have accounts in your name only to handle paying the bills. You can both contribute to the account, but his name must not be on it so it won't be "garnished". Keep small balances in it for the first year or two so that if something happens it won't be too harsh, and during that time he should just use cash to pay for everything.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 501 times
Turn your business into a corporation.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:06 AM

17,206 posts, read 5,193,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
If your idiot bank actually debited your account 8K that you didn't have to send out to them, and if that pays them off, all you have to do is pay the bank back. You should be in the clear child support wise.

And if your bank was stupid enough to actually DO THIS -- then screw over your bank.

I used to handle these types of transactions at two different local banks I worked for and we never never ever overdrew the account -- we zero'ed it out, took our fee and sent what was left to the judgement holder. It makes no sense for the bank to be left holding the bag while everyone else gets satisfied.

BUT -- this isn't the first time I've heard something like this that flys in the face of what I was taught. And I'm betting you bank at a big bank. Normally I don't say stuff like this, but if your bank is really so stupid to do something so patently WRONG -- screw them.

After years of working at small banks who followed the rules and didn't get caught up in all the stuff I've been reading about for the past several years, the big banks need to be taught lessons.

In this case, there was $1 in the account, so you'd take the dollar and debit the rest of your fee to leave the account with a negative balance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance