Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 05:17 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times

Advertisements

How do people avoid these? Do they do something special to offset them? Is there anything a regular(poor) person can do. I was told they are in excess of 30%. Is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 07:07 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
it depends on what the gains are on and how long the asset is owned as well as your agi

Old 04-21-2012, 11:51 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
There are short term capital gains and long term capital gains - a different rate for the latter which can be 13% less. Long term is an investment held for 12 months or longer.

It can be a good thing to pay a fortune in capital gains, because that means you are making a lot of money and will get to keep 2/3 of it. Better to make money and pay taxes than to make nothing and not pay taxes I say!

Also you can trade within an IRA account and avoid capital gains. Traditional taxed at regular income rate at time of withdrawal, ROTH IRA not taxed at all!

If you are selling real estate, check with a CPA.

You can also invest in stocks which pay high dividend yields instead of buying/selling short term. Go to the following site and move the "Div yield (%)" slider to the right to find stocks which pay the most % yield dividends. (Be sure they have consistently paid dividends for the last several years! Not just one big dividend recently.)
Google Finance: Find top stocks with our stock screener

Or you can invest in bonds which pay "coupons". Search for those here...
FINRA - Investor Information - Market Data - Bonds - Advanced Screener

Old 04-22-2012, 04:29 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
anything with big long term capital gains would be foolish to do in an ira. why pay as much as 2x the tax rate.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:37 AM

It's not stock profits or anything like that. It's mineral rights.

Oil companies pay me to lease rights I own and I get a small percentage, royalty, on the oil and gas they extract. The big chunk of change comes in when I agree to a new lease. The leases are usually for 2 years with a 2 year extension option.

The mineral rights have been in my H's family for generations and now they are mine. It didn't take me long to find out they were also grossly underpaid, probably because they were doing business with 'friends'.

I figure since the leases were mismanaged, there's also a possibility they were overpaying on taxes too.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:02 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
If you just inherited these, then the current value (basis) at the time you inherited the mineral rights is the "starting point" for you. Talk to a CPA about establishing a "basis" for these.

As for signing a new lease which brings you more income, you are not "selling" the mineral rights, so I don't think that would be capital gains.

This would be like owning a rental house. If you sell the house for more than what you paid for it (basis), then there would be capital gains. But if you just get higher rent, then not capital gains.

Anyway oil has all sorts of special tax rules. Like "depletion". Best to talk to a CPA who is familiar with the oil industry.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
If you just inherited these, then the current value (basis) at the time you inherited the mineral rights is the "starting point" for you. Talk to a CPA about establishing a "basis" for these.

As for signing a new lease which brings you more income, you are not "selling" the mineral rights, so I don't think that would be capital gains.

This would be like owning a rental house. If you sell the house for more than what you paid for it (basis), then there would be capital gains. But if you just get higher rent, then not capital gains.

Anyway oil has all sorts of special tax rules. Like "depletion". Best to talk to a CPA who is familiar with the oil industry.
I will! Sounds like I need lots of help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance