Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 01:46 PM

61,639 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Advertisements

Here are few credit cards for excellent credit to compare:
Credit Cards for Excellent Credit with No Interest & Tons of Rewards - Creditnet.com
Blue Cash American Express: As Good As Hyped?
Best Cash Back Credit Cards, April 2012 (Free Money Finance)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 03:01 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
my favorite card is my fidelity retirement rewards card. i get 2% cashback on everything. i know other cash back cards offer higher % on certain items then 1% on everything else, but at least with mine i know im averaging out to 2% across the board. with those other cards you could be closer to 1%.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:39 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMarcan920 View Post
Thanks, Blackbeauty, I'll look into the Citi Forward. Do you find you can use a Discover card everywhere or do you find limitations.
10 yrs ago you would find plenty of limitations where you could use Discover....today very few and far between, I would say Discover is on Par with AMEX for acceptance.

Also I must correct myself, when I said "5% cash back on the Citi forward" I had a brain fart with thinking of my Discover...I meant to say the Citi forward is 5X the points, redeemable for either 100$ statement credit or gift card per every 10K points.

Sorry about that.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:40 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Discover.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:06 AM

8,408 posts, read 4,571,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
10 yrs ago you would find plenty of limitations where you could use Discover....today very few and far between, I would say Discover is on Par with AMEX for acceptance.

Also I must correct myself, when I said "5% cash back on the Citi forward" I had a brain fart with thinking of my Discover...I meant to say the Citi forward is 5X the points, redeemable for either 100$ statement credit or gift card per every 10K points.

Sorry about that.
Forward is indeed 5 points per dollar spent on the categories you mention, however redemption options suck. A 25 dollar visa gift card is like 3600 points. A 25 dollar statement credit is something like 4800 points. If you ALSO have one of Citi's ThankYou cards you can get true 1:1 redemption's on most store gift cards. You can also redeem 10000 points for a mortgage (citi or non-citi) payment or student loan (best deal if it applies to you).

Old 04-27-2012, 06:11 AM

148 posts, read 309,508 times
For rewards cards the AMEX Blue Cash and the Discover More card are the best, imo.

Of the two, the AMEX is better. Discover (and most reward cards) use rotating categories for 5%, and give 1% back on everything else AFTER you have spent $3,000 in the current year. The AMEX Blue Cash (the one with no annual fee) gives 1-3% cash back with no rotating categories, no spending limits or tiers, and you get all the the perks of AMEX (i.e. extended warranties on everything you but, guaranteed returns, etc.) Discover doesn't do extended warranties (if you want one, they make you purchase one through them from a third party for each individual item :/).

Old 04-27-2012, 07:52 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikaku View Post
For rewards cards the AMEX Blue Cash and the Discover More card are the best, imo.

Of the two, the AMEX is better. Discover (and most reward cards) use rotating categories for 5%, and give 1% back on everything else AFTER you have spent $3,000 in the current year. The AMEX Blue Cash (the one with no annual fee) gives 1-3% cash back with no rotating categories, no spending limits or tiers, and you get all the the perks of AMEX (i.e. extended warranties on everything you but, guaranteed returns, etc.) Discover doesn't do extended warranties (if you want one, they make you purchase one through them from a third party for each individual item :/).
But when adding in Customer Service....I think Discover is the best in the business, even against American Express....I heard Chase's Sapphire program has top notch CS as well.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:15 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,927,572 times
I really, really love my Discover More card. Excellent cash back options and I can use the cash back money at Amazon with any amount (like, I could apply $2 to an order if I want). Other than that I have an AmEx Blue Cash which I use for Costco/gas and groceries when the Discover card doesn't have any extra promos for groceries. And, if somewhere doesn't take AmEx or Discover I use my USAA MasterCard which I get 1% back on for everything.

I own a Chase Freedom and Chase Sapphire as well, but I don't really use those--although the Freedom has good rewards too (I'll admit, I opened the Sapphire just for a $300 promo). Just make sure to pay in full each month and you're set.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:01 PM

741 posts, read 1,287,970 times
I really enjoy the customer service on my plain jane USAA Platinum Master card, but I barely get 1% back, sigh.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:17 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
anyone with a rewards card that gets a variety of % depending on where you spend the money figure out the overall %?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance