U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 01:45 PM

48,519 posts, read 80,998,062 times

Advertisements

By far the best cutomer service I have experienced is Discover.Also like their rewards .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 02:01 PM

48,880 posts, read 39,370,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMarcan920 View Post
Opinions please? What do you consider the # best ever credit card for rewards and customer service.

I'm seriously thinking of closing (customer requested closures) credit cards I don't use and getting one "best ever".

Currently have 3 Chase cards, all Visas (Amazon, Disney, Coldwater Creek), Capital One Rewards Visa and Barclay MC.
I spend over 20k a year and pay my balance at the end of every month.

In the last couple months I have been scoring hugely on card offers for the initial bonus, not so much the longevity. I intend to cancel these cards eventually.

Chase Freedom: 1% cash back, up to 5% cash back on some items. (Main Card)

Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa: $70 annual fee....got 50,000pts after first purchase....which is about $900 worth of plane tix. (I swore I'd never pay an annual fee until I got this offer.)

American Express Blue Sky: No annual fee, had to spen $1200 on it the first 3 months...got 50,000pts worth $500 off travel expense charged on card.

Citi Thankyou Premier: Waived for 1 yr annual fee (otherwise $125)
50k points after spending 3k in 3months. Worth $500 in gift cards.

So, I'm getting roughly $1800 in perks and will then terminate all those cards and go back to using my chase freedom card....

By doing this, I'm going to get about 10% back this year on my credit card spending. Granted I won't always get these types of offers but that's a pretty good reward haul.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:59 PM

22,668 posts, read 28,551,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I spend over 20k a year and pay my balance at the end of every month.

In the last couple months I have been scoring hugely on card offers for the initial bonus, not so much the longevity. I intend to cancel these cards eventually.

Chase Freedom: 1% cash back, up to 5% cash back on some items. (Main Card)

Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa: $70 annual fee....got 50,000pts after first purchase....which is about $900 worth of plane tix. (I swore I'd never pay an annual fee until I got this offer.)

American Express Blue Sky: No annual fee, had to spen $1200 on it the first 3 months...got 50,000pts worth $500 off travel expense charged on card.

Citi Thankyou Premier: Waived for 1 yr annual fee (otherwise $125)
50k points after spending 3k in 3months. Worth $500 in gift cards.

So, I'm getting roughly $1800 in perks and will then terminate all those cards and go back to using my chase freedom card....

By doing this, I'm going to get about 10% back this year on my credit card spending. Granted I won't always get these types of offers but that's a pretty good reward haul.
haha nice work.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:23 PM

2,539 posts, read 8,563,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
I really enjoy the customer service on my plain jane USAA Platinum Master card, but I barely get 1% back, sigh.
I know, me too! It's my "places that don't take Discover or AmEx" card.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:07 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
I use, almost exclusively, my Citi World Dividend MC card, which Ive had for about 8 years, and I am very satisfied with it. Customer service is quick and personable, problems are rare and resolved immediately, online is user-friendly, there are no surprises, and what I think is good protection, in that they have twice reissued me a new card because they felt it might have been affected through a seller that was compromised. No annual fee and at least 1% cash back on everything including utility bills. I pay the full balance the minute I get my invoice.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:55 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,820,141 times
The Dave Ramsey people are really missing out!

I know, rice and beans...

Old 04-28-2012, 12:09 AM

29,580 posts, read 31,900,225 times
PenFed rewards, AMEX/Costco, Discover.

In preperation for a divorce I've cancelled cards and simplified my credit with no problems whatsoever. If my score took a hit it bounced back before I could notice it.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:14 AM

8,206 posts, read 9,093,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMarcan920 View Post
Opinions please? What do you consider the # best ever credit card for rewards and customer service.

I'm seriously thinking of closing (customer requested closures) credit cards I don't use and getting one "best ever".

Currently have 3 Chase cards, all Visas (Amazon, Disney, Coldwater Creek), Capital One Rewards Visa and Barclay MC.
I can't say what is the "best" but I can tell you which is the worst and to avoid. It's the Wells Fargo Visa. I signed up for their rewards program and found out they charge $25 a year for it. Back then I wasn't making much money so I couldn't spend much and it took me an entire year to earn $25 in 'rewards'. I kept it for another year and, again, only earned $25 with it so, basically, I spent $50 and earned $50. I decided it wasn't worth it and cancelled it BUT they wouldn't let me have the $50 I 'earned' either. I didn't know they'd do that! I should have taken the gift card and THEN cancelled it! Hindsight and all that....

Old 04-28-2012, 02:05 PM

29,580 posts, read 31,900,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I can't say what is the "best" but I can tell you which is the worst and to avoid. It's the Wells Fargo Visa. I signed up for their rewards program and found out they charge $25 a year for it. Back then I wasn't making much money so I couldn't spend much and it took me an entire year to earn $25 in 'rewards'. I kept it for another year and, again, only earned $25 with it so, basically, I spent $50 and earned $50. I decided it wasn't worth it and cancelled it BUT they wouldn't let me have the $50 I 'earned' either. I didn't know they'd do that! I should have taken the gift card and THEN cancelled it! Hindsight and all that....
True. I only had that for awhile becasue they offered it to me FREE. I advised both my kids to avoid it...don't pay for any "bonus deals".

Old 04-28-2012, 02:20 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,157,324 times
The best is AMEX Blue Cash. Ends up being about $600 in cash back for me every year. I was using Citi Card Thank you Preferred and I was always called about questionable charges. Started to really annoy me. Just got an email for the Southwest Airlines Chase Visa for 2 Flights. Going to see what that one is like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or