Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 06:03 AM

297 posts, read 740,209 times

Advertisements

You can live on a 50k salary. I know some who live on a 35k salary and are not hard up for money.

It's all about the priorities you have. Focus on your needs first, then with some money left over, then you can cater to your wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 06:27 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,894,530 times
As long as you're saving a good percentage of your income, live in a decent neighborhood and aren't suffering, that is enough. There was actually a post by someone who claimed to be doing all right on $10K in Las Vegas.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:57 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,908,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Fort Lauderdale.

I work in higher education....
Works in higher education = free tuition for children later in life.

You may not be making much now, but if you can play the game right and have a plan, you will be fine. Below is an example of a couple that I knew who really knew how to play the game:

I went to a boarding school and the teachers that were couples couldn't have made over 80k a year yet they had a quality of life better than many people I know.

Their two kids both attended the school, then went onto ivy leagues which they had minimal expenses due to their parents low income. The parents lived at school in a nice house (seniority gets you nice things) and got their meals from the dinning hall. Yet they owned a small cabin on a lake in New Hampshire that they spent their summers. A cheap place due to the remote location, but they didn't have a primary residence to pay a mortgage on so it worked out.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:21 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,516,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Works in higher education = free tuition for children later in life.

You may not be making much now, but if you can play the game right and have a plan, you will be fine. Below is an example of a couple that I knew who really knew how to play the game:

I went to a boarding school and the teachers that were couples couldn't have made over 80k a year yet they had a quality of life better than many people I know.

Their two kids both attended the school, then went onto ivy leagues which they had minimal expenses due to their parents low income. The parents lived at school in a nice house (seniority gets you nice things) and got their meals from the dinning hall. Yet they owned a small cabin on a lake in New Hampshire that they spent their summers. A cheap place due to the remote location, but they didn't have a primary residence to pay a mortgage on so it worked out.
Higher education is not HS. It sounds like a public university in FL and your kids don't go free automatically.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:22 PM

837 posts, read 1,797,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post

I also went to a boarding school... Tuition is approximately $90,000 a year per kid. The teachers who taught there sent their kids for free - and then subsequently shipped them off to top notch colleges (international applicant!) with honking scholarships to boot. Some couples lived in the boarding houses in small but well furnished private apartments and ate with students (free). They made not have made much, but they saved a bundle with these arrangements.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 8,129 times
Yeah I'm late...

But man o man...$50K/year for a "single" male IS very good. With that money, "I" could afford:

- $25-$30K new car
- $200K - $300K new home or $1800/month for very nice apartment.
- 1 week in Hawaii resort 3 times a year
- Shop at mall for clothes, not Target or Walmart.
- Eat out 3-5 times per week
- Contribute $250 monthly to my 401K

...and still send my momma money. Key word is "SINGLE". No strings baby!!! Add any dependent to the mix and you can take 1/3 off the top and redo the math.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:34 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,827,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectorknows View Post
Yeah I'm late...

But man o man...$50K/year for a "single" male IS very good. With that money, "I" could afford:

- $25-$30K new car

...and still send my momma money. Key word is "SINGLE". No strings baby!!! Add any dependent to the mix and you can take 1/3 off the top and redo the math.
Not if you live in Chicago... lol. I make above that and am still barely scraping by.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:50 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Not if you live in Chicago... lol. I make above that and am still barely scraping by.
he even said he could afford an $1,800/month rent. that has got to be a joke! i think your take home pay would be about $3,000.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:23 PM

233 posts, read 720,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Not even in Southeast Florida can you have those things on 50K, just not realistic.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:58 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,239,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectorknows View Post
Yeah I'm late...

- $25-$30K new car

Wow... now we see how people get into credit card debt up to their eyeballs....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance