Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 04:18 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,505,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
That may be true, but I can understand how he succumbed to the "you must go to college at any cost" brainwashing.
That is how the parents are though. Atleast the older generation parents are. They want their kids to be a Doctor, Engineer, Lawyer especially in the Asian culture. Instead of giving them thousands of dollars to go to college, why not give them that money to start at business and help them out? Maybe a family owned business. Normally, the parents start off the kids when their are young at their small business and take over eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 04:26 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
Other people is not YOU. Different situation.

It's the in the past. Besides, I think your parents did the right thing. Now you have your education out of way, you can focus on developing your career.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:04 PM

890 posts, read 1,649,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
It's the in the past. Besides, I think your parents did the right thing. Now you have your education out of way, you can focus on developing your career.
Thanks. That's what I am doing.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:32 PM

837 posts, read 1,798,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
If you have 10+ years of solid experience then they will hire you regardless of your degree. Marketing degrees are dime a dozen.
Bit of a catch-22 though. Pretty hard to get any "solid experience" without a degree. Finance degrees are common too but not everyone works on wall street. I guess well just have to agree to disagree here. I'm guessing I'm the one who got the degree and made money and your the one who didn't and made money

Old 05-23-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Is this for me?

It is like this.

After high school, go to college, graduate, get married, have kids, go to college for masters's and then phd.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotodc View Post
Bit of a catch-22 though. Pretty hard to get any "solid experience" without a degree. Finance degrees are common too but not everyone works on wall street. I guess well just have to agree to disagree here. I'm guessing I'm the one who got the degree and made money and your the one who didn't and made money
It cost money to train the new graduate. Experience folks can produce from day 1. Finance and Accounting degrees in Business Administration is much better for jobs and salary. I also have a degree lol

Old 05-23-2012, 07:28 PM

175 posts, read 600,253 times
If I were you, I would look into prepaid mobile phones. I don't know what's available in your area but you may want to look into Cricket Wireless, Boost Mobile, and Virgin Mobile. Even Walmart has a mobile phone service now.

Do not touch your 401k nor your savings account. You need to build up an emergency fund so keep adding to that savings account.

I think you should keep the car but shop around for insurance. I understand that you definitely need dependable transportation. I've visited Atlanta and have family that live there so I know that public transport is no friend to the suburbs.

Atleast your living situation is good. $175 rent is awesome. I think your biggest hurdle is the student loan debt. Please look into student loan debt consolidation. Although you didn't understand much about financial aid or how student loans worked, please educate yourself about personal finance so you can formulate a plan. Also two words, Suze Orman. Google and youtube her and watch the videos. You will learn alot.

Keep your chin up and your head held high. Don't give up. It might take a while but if you start making the practically decisions now it will definitely pay off. You may want to consider working a second part time job to help you save money.

You mentioned that you have good credit. Keep it that way because it will go along way for you. I wish I had learned that lesson early on.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:31 PM

175 posts, read 600,253 times
$200 to $250 a month for gas is cheap IMO. I pay $200 a month in gas for an older car with a 3.0 V6 engine. My commute is 22 miles round trip per day for 5 days, plus my weekly errands for groceries and a little shopping. When I had an old cadillac with V8 engine I was paying $350 a month in gas.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starhawk18 View Post
$200 to $250 a month for gas is cheap IMO. I pay $200 a month in gas for an older car with a 3.0 V6 engine. My commute is 22 miles round trip per day for 5 days, plus my weekly errands for groceries and a little shopping. When I had an old cadillac with V8 engine I was paying $350 a month in gas.
Why not get a 4 Cyl and a gas efficient car? I pay about $80 a month.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:43 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
See what the Kelley Blue Book Value is on your car. You can make a quick $5,000 possibly by selling your car and getting a cheaper one. You can get a perfectly reliable car for $7,000-$8,000.

Also, talk to the lender on your auto loan about refinancing that loan. You can lower your payment by quite a bit.
If he knows a dealer, he could get a car at an auction that's in great condition as well for a fraction of that. I got a 2010 Ford Fusion for $3K on auction. All it needed with a brake check up and a new windshield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance