U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 03:56 PM

8,270 posts, read 5,896,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
So yes, there is NO reason someone can't live on a $250K salary in any US city.
I agree, one could live a decent lifestyle in any metro area in the US on $250k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 04:52 PM

4,227 posts, read 3,196,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I agree, one could live a decent lifestyle in any metro area in the US on $250k.
What if one wants to live a celebrity superstar and needs to spend $1 Million a year?

Old 05-28-2012, 08:36 PM

8,270 posts, read 5,896,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
What if one wants to live a celebrity superstar and needs to spend $1 Million a year?
Then one doesn't understand the definition of the word decent. I didn't claim one could live up to whatever level their imagination allows them to fathom, I said a decent lifestyle which while certainly open to interpretation isn't best defined by the obviously atypical example you're harping on of being a celebrity superstar.

250k annually = a safe and and comfortable place, good food, some travel, not watching the pennies, etc. in any metro area in the U.S.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:07 AM

4,487 posts, read 9,943,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
If someone "needs" to spend a million a year, they have a bad self-esteem problem to live that sort of lifestyle.

Notice we're all talking about a "decent lifestyle" and $250K/ year will provide a "decent lifestyle" to anyone in any metro.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:01 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,537,202 times
Quote:
If someone "needs" to spend a million a year, they have a bad self-esteem problem to live that sort of lifestyle.

Notice we're all talking about a "decent lifestyle" and $250K/ year will provide a "decent lifestyle" to anyone in any metro.
No they don't. Spending does not equate to lack of self esteem necessarily. They may enjoy living a lifestyle beyond yours or mine but to label them as lacking self esteem... That's a stretch.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
No they don't. Spending does not equate to lack of self esteem necessarily. They may enjoy living a lifestyle beyond yours or mine but to label them as lacking self esteem... That's a stretch.
When they want to live like a "celebrity superstar" then I'd say they're definitely lacking somewhere and trying to fill that void with drinking/partying/etc.

I could probably spend a million a year if someone gave it to me but I'd spend that money on traveling to exotic destinations, learning more about historical sites/cities, and becoming a more knowledgeable person. I wouldn't spend a million on "popping bottles" or club hopping though.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
When they want to live like a "celebrity superstar" then I'd say they're definitely lacking somewhere and trying to fill that void with drinking/partying/etc.

I could probably spend a million a year if someone gave it to me but I'd spend that money on traveling to exotic destinations, learning more about historical sites/cities, and becoming a more knowledgeable person. I wouldn't spend a million on "popping bottles" or club hopping though.
That's your opinion, that's fine. But who's to say that just because you party, you're automatically lacking self esteem?

Old 05-29-2012, 12:11 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,001,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
That's your opinion, that's fine. But who's to say that just because you party, you're automatically lacking self esteem?
There's a difference between partying and blowing a million per year on partying.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
There's a difference between partying and blowing a million per year on partying.
Exactly my point. I have no problem with going out and enjoying myself but if you feel compelled to spend a million per year on partying (which some celebrities do) then you really have some sort of problem. Feeling the need to be constantly surrounded by people lauding over your every wish and whim is definitely one of the signs of having low self-esteem or self-confidence. Just look at all of the celebrities who have followed this route in life and in the end, they either end up dead/broke/addicted/lonely etc. The celebrities who at least appear to have some happiness in life are the ones who have a family, live modest lives (relatively speaking for their wealth), and don't go out every night of the week blowing tens of thousands of dollars on an entourage/drinks/etc.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
What's the difference? Cost?

Perhaps the guy spending 1M on partying has an earning of 10M per year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance