Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 11:56 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times

Advertisements

Say that you met someone who was rather well-off or even wealthy. Would you react differently if you knew that they had won it in a lottery vs. an inheritance vs. careful earnings management and investing vs. an extremely high-paying job?

Those are 4 different ways to accumulate significant wealth. Would the different manners of earnings matter to you?

I guess I mean, if you knew someone won the lottery vs. simply invested very carefully and luckily, would you be more likely to think about being profligate with their money? As in "you won this money! You didn't do anything for it!" or something of that nature?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 12:00 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
There is an expression: new money and old money. Generally, people from old money behave differently than those of new money....

Old 05-29-2012, 12:35 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
I just wouldn't want to be with someone that had made their money illegally or immorally.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:48 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Say that you met someone who was rather well-off or even wealthy. Would you react differently if you knew that they had won it in a lottery vs. an inheritance vs. careful earnings management and investing vs. an extremely high-paying job?

Those are 4 different ways to accumulate significant wealth. Would the different manners of earnings matter to you?

I guess I mean, if you knew someone won the lottery vs. simply invested very carefully and luckily, would you be more likely to think about being profligate with their money? As in "you won this money! You didn't do anything for it!" or something of that nature?
It quite frankly sounds like you are damning people who through a stroke of good fortune have found their lives financially improved.

Maybe you should be looking at that judgement, and not at other people. Perhaps you are simply envious, which is what it sounds like.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:54 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,823,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I just wouldn't want to be with someone that had made their money illegally or immorally.
I agree, my concern would be if they made their money legally or illegally. I wouldn't mind if they won or inherited their money instead of working for it.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:02 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
^^^ This!

Old 05-29-2012, 04:07 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
As another couple of posters mentioned before for me it is about Ethics and whether the wealth was acquired on the backs of others. If you are a billionaire who owns seatshops and is busy destroying the rainforest , evicting natives to grow soya then yes it does matter.

Which is why on the whole huge wealth to me is usually a sign of something whiffy somewhere, somehow. Nobody makes gazillions without exploiting many people down the line at the end of the day IMO.

Old money in Europe for example often comes from the profits of Slavery or economic Slavery during the industrial revolution and though the descendents are not responsible for the actions of their ancestors I would certainly expect them to realise the fact and try and use that wealth to even the level playing field socially nowadays.

On the whole I prefer Old Money to New Money, I find Old Money in Europe at least to be a lot more understated and modest in the way they display their wealth and less blingy. I find people who flash their money around vulgar and off putting.

I think you can acquire a reasonable amount of money without stamping on anyone but not huge amounts. Somewhere, somehow someone is getting screwed.

As for the lottery then I suppose the aspect is that someone did not have to work for it and that is was pure luck which is also a little weird for me. I don't play myself, I suppose I don't like my chances and I find the concept a little strange. I suppose I don't particularly understand or "approve" of gambling.

I have no desire to be a multi millionaire. As long as I have enough to have a decent house, car and some travels I really am not that bothered. I came from huge wealth and could not wait to leave it ( which I did at 17). I would prefer EVERYONE was at a comfortable level and nobody at the top or bottom. As this is pure Utopia I then prefer to have a much smaller gap between the haves and have nots. A majority middle class is my personal Utopia. Poverty will always exist as will obscenely rich "oligarchs" types.

Ethics is what it comes down to for me though.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:19 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Old money, new money. Whatever. To me is is all about how they manage this money. Are they smart with it? Or do they spend extravagantly and ostentatiously on stuff that has little real value? Do they waste it? Do they give to charity? Do they hoard it? Do they obsess over it? Do they flaunt it?

Old 05-29-2012, 05:22 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
As long as it wasn't gained in an illegal manner, stealing, murder, insurance fraud, it doesn't matter to me.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:29 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
I wouldn't care as long as they were spending some on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance