Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 11:47 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,002,666 times

Advertisements

I do a fairly good job of responsible spending but decided that
more careful budgeting for each category will help me even more to
stretch my dollars.

The part I am stumped on is non monthly expenses.. I plan to allow x amount per month for car repairs, gifts, vet bills, travel ,clothes ect.

But I am stumped on how to actually handle the money. Do people set up a separate account for this and sorta escrow that monthly amount into it ?? Then transfer money as needed ??

I know I could do cash but I like having the records on my bank statement of this stuff ..

I would like for my spending to be the same each month, so that if I need a car repair,travel,need dental I use the money that I had been allocating to that category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 12:02 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,609 times
I use a separate sinking funds checking account that I stick a $1000 in every month and use to pay insurance, vacations, furniture etc. This month it will be paying for summer camp for the kids and painting our bedroom.

That said we do alter our budget monthly to deal with smaller spending fluctuations.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:09 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,077,688 times
I have a separate savings account for all the common, but periodic, expenses. I use ING Direct, there are no fees, reasonable interest and once you are a customer you can create additional accounts with a few mouse clicks.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:18 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,854,770 times
Yes I escrow every month. I use ING. I transfer X dollars into ING per month.

From there I transfer some amount into different accounts. For example all insurance (car, life, home) goes into 1 account. I don't feel any need to have a separate account for each insurance, because I know that I will always have enough to pay whatever bill is due (might take a little figuring). Car fund (repairs or new car) gets another amount and another account. Condo maintenance fee gets another account.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:41 PM

643 posts, read 2,384,617 times
I create a spreadsheet with the different categories. Each category spans three rows - one row for deposits, one row for withdrawals, and one row for comments. Column wise I list months/years. For each month I sum up the "escrowed" amounts to keep track of it.

Separating the tracking from where the money is actually held means I can get better interest rates on the money. If I didn't do it this way, I would end up with a savings account for each category and make money deposits and periodic withdrawals. Another disadvantage of the multiple savings accounts method is that most banks do not let you put comments on your transactions and if they do, they may only show up online, not on your printed statement.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:52 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
But I am stumped on how to actually handle the money... so that if I need a car repair, travel,
need dental I use the money that I had been allocating to that category.
Slush fund it through the VISA card.
Even if you don't have a balance make a payment as if you did.

Then when you're at the dentist office or the car shop or whatever you just lay down the plastic and you're done.

A couple times a year sit down and get specific.
Adjust the payment amount then as needed.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Slush fund it through the VISA card.
Even if you don't have a balance make a payment as if you did.

Then when you're at the dentist office or the car shop or whatever you just lay down the plastic and you're done.

A couple times a year sit down and get specific.
Adjust the payment amount then as needed.
Interesting plan...I do get flyer miles which would be nice..

Old 06-02-2012, 09:48 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,279,455 times
For expenses which are only twice a year or once a year, total them up, then divide by 12. That is the amount you need to stick in a savings account (or whatever) each month to cover those expenses.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
For expenses which are only twice a year or once a year, total them up, then divide by 12. That is the amount you need to stick in a savings account (or whatever) each month to cover those expenses.
I know how to do the math..its how to hold the money I am deciding..
I don't want a bunch of accounts for each category vet,car repair,dentist,vacation ect.

I decided to put all the escrow money in a separate account, put these expenses on Visa and do a payment every month from that account (or transfer once) to pay the Visa. That way I also get the flyer miles for the spending...

For food & 25/week play money I am going to do cash..but I may change that..
I could roll that into the Visa also and have records of all my spending ..

Old 06-03-2012, 01:26 PM

777 posts, read 1,336,124 times
First, I keep track of my budgets on a spreadsheet - how much I want to add in each a month, and what the balances are at the end of the month. Then I have them transferred to ING. On ING, you can make separate accounts for different things. So I have an "emergency, vacation, school payoff, and car payoff," at the moment. And when my school payoff reaches the remaining payoff amount, i will extract it from the savings to pay it off. And in the end, you gain some decent interest by having a high savings account on ING. My only recommendation is that you set up a checking account with ING too, for easier control of that savings through money transferring, which I have yet to do. Because it takes 3-5 days for the money to transfer back and forth from an external checking account, which is a bit of a pain... especially if you'll ever need access to that emergency money ASAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance