Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 10:13 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,889,948 times

Advertisements

So I'm aching to do my own thing. I'm an almost flat broke college student and bartender who will most likely get fired soon.

I go to college on a full-scholarship which I must maintain a high GPA for which has made it almost impossible for me to hold down a job on the side.

I hate bartending, everyone I have worked for has been a real *******.

I want a low cost idea for me to generate my own income without having a set schedule.

I have considered babysitting but I have no recent references. I baby sat for one couple 8 years ago but they relocated and I have no way of finding them.

I'm willing to invest up to $600, but even that will be tough for me.

I'm also a few years older than most college students so if that stands for anything....

thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 04:28 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,358,294 times
I wish I had some words of wisdom for you. It's hard enough working while attending college (and having to maintain a certain GPA) -- but starting your own business while attending school is very difficult.

Can you get a job that would coordinate with your area of study? Does your college offer job counseling?

I'll be sending good vibes your way that you can make it until your graduate.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:52 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,716,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Which city is best for a budding CPA?
I will graduate in about a year maybe 1.5 years and have to get my CPA...
Quote:
...low cost idea for me to generate my own income without having a set schedule.
This does NOT describe a "business plan".
Using the term so poorly may just be hyperbole but that really doesn't serve you well at all.

If you're actually studying to be an accountant... (or is it only for the CPA certification?)
you should have a job with a local accounting firm now. Most would be decent paying.
This is the best move both immediate and long term that you can make.

Last edited by MrRational; 06-05-2012 at 05:01 AM..

Old 06-05-2012, 05:12 AM

4,001 posts, read 6,260,123 times
Quote:
So I'm aching to do my own thing. I'm an almost flat broke college student and bartender who will most likely get fired soon.

I go to college on a full-scholarship which I must maintain a high GPA for which has made it almost impossible for me to hold down a job on the side.

I want a low cost idea for me to generate my own income without having a set schedule.

I have considered babysitting but I have no recent references. I baby sat for one couple 8 years ago but they relocated and I have no way of finding them.

I'm also a few years older than most college students so if that stands for anything....

thanks for the help.

Figure out what skills you have first...if you have one that others want, you can charge for it.

If you have no skills, then I suggest starting with something basic like a lawn mowing or window washing round...don't knock it you can make good money especially if you throw in other services as well.

It's all about filling a need - what do people need where you live?

Old 06-05-2012, 05:46 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,151,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Using the term so poorly may just be hyperbole but that really doesn't serve you well at all.

If you're actually studying to be an accountant... (or is it only for the CPA certification?)
you should have a job with a local accounting firm now. Most would be decent paying.
I agree there is nothing better for your long term well being than getting a part time accounting job, even if it's unpaid and only for a few hours a week. This is especially true since you're on scholarship.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:12 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,889,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

I'm studying to be an accountant, yes indeed. I guess I should have a part-time with a local firm. Once my career center opens again I'll have to see if they have any listings.
I applied to a few accounting summer internships which pay $20/hour or something around that but because at the time I was a Sophomore and possibly my interviewing skills I wasn't offered anything.

I guess this thread was partly inspired by someone else on another thread talking about how Warren Buffet had gum ball machines in public places before he made it big

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Figure out what skills you have first...if you have one that others want, you can charge for it.

If you have no skills, then I suggest starting with something basic like a lawn mowing or window washing round...don't knock it you can make good money especially if you throw in other services as well.

It's all about filling a need - what do people need where you live?

I'm willing to fill any sort of need be it dog sitting/walking, cat sitting. No real skills, except I'm microsoft office savvy, can make spread sheets, can cook, and I can mix cocktails but I'm so done with working in bars.

I'm not above cleaning people houses but other people's filth just kind of grosses me out since I am usually pretty anal about my house being clean.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:35 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,358,294 times
There's a great need in my area for someone to run errands for shut-ins and take them to doctor appointments, do their grocery shopping or take them to do it, take their pets to the vet, etc.

I had a stroke six years ago and, during my lengthy recovery, I couldnt drive -- so I paid a service to take me to daily therapy sessions and to many doctor appointments. I'm still paying that service to take me to doctor appointments and to/from procedures where I have to be put under twilight anesthesia and cant take a taxi.

They also check on shut-ins daily for family members and perform any kind of legal service anyone wants:

Meal Preparation
Transportation for doctors, airports, and other commuting.
Pet Service Taking care of your pets within your household.
Grocery Shopping With or without the client
Light Housekeeping
Laundry Services
Household Management

One guy takes an elderly woman to the park one day a week and spends several hours with her there. Her out-of-town family pays for it as it's a good way to get her out of the house.

You could have some business cards made up and give them to doctors, hospitals, physical therapy offices, etc. And you could also take them to churches -- and put them in grocery stores, post offices and other public places.

But your schedule would have to be pretty flexible to do that, as being prompt and dependable is very important in such a service.

Last edited by TFW46; 06-05-2012 at 10:44 AM..

Old 06-05-2012, 12:14 PM

3,890 posts, read 6,803,407 times
There is no magical answer to your problem, if it were that easy, everyone would do it! But with a little bit of effort and finding your correct niche, you could succeed.

My roommate actually owns and operate his own online T-Shirt company. He is very good with photoshop, web design, etc. He designs his own shirts and then has another company print them and ship them to his house. From there he ships it out to the buyers who order from his website. Start up costs are very low and profit margins are high. If you manage to make a hit design you could probably pay for college doing it.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:15 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,151,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
There's a great need in my area for someone to run errands for shut-ins and take them to doctor appointments, do their grocery shopping or take them to do it, take their pets to the vet, etc.

I had a stroke six years ago and, during my lengthy recovery, I couldnt drive -- so I paid a service to take me to daily therapy sessions and to many doctor appointments. I'm still paying that service to take me to doctor appointments and to/from procedures where I have to be put under twilight anesthesia and cant take a taxi.

They also check on shut-ins daily for family members and perform any kind of legal service anyone wants:

Meal Preparation
Transportation for doctors, airports, and other commuting.
Pet Service Taking care of your pets within your household.
Grocery Shopping With or without the client
Light Housekeeping
Laundry Services
Household Management

One guy takes an elderly woman to the park one day a week and spends several hours with her there. Her out-of-town family pays for it as it's a good way to get her out of the house.

You could have some business cards made up and give them to doctors, hospitals, physical therapy offices, etc. And you could also take them to churches -- and put them in grocery stores, post offices and other public places.

But your schedule would have to be pretty flexible to do that, as being prompt and dependable is very important in such a service.

This is an interesting idea. I would add that keeping very good track of your finances, which should be easy to do given your chosen field of study and your aptitude for MS Office, will not only lead you to being a better business person but will also allow you to demonstrate your skills to a prospective accounting employer. Doing things like properly tracking miles driven to a worksite, adequate accounting for income and expenses, etc. will give you something concrete to discuss during any interview that you might have, in addition to the entrepreneurial spirit and life lessons that you've gained while doing something like this..

Old 06-05-2012, 12:28 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,566,723 times
Quote:

thanks for the help.
I have posted this idea on many of the city-data work sites . It what i do as I travel all over the Western states ( I am retired now for 4 yrs@ age 70) Its restoring Headlamps ( Polishing Headlamps on vehicles) and it's really easy ,
I do most of them at campgrounds and truck stop's when iam traveling . I only charge $25.00 , so it isan't expensive compaired to the cost to replace the lights.
It takes about 30 minutes to do a vehicle once you get the hang of it , ( $50.00 per hr. !).
Check out my post and then DM me for a number to call so I can explain it , if you need more info . the best part is you do it when you want to .
Pass out business cards in the malls , shopping centers , truck stop's.
Just look around at all the clouded headlamps ! that's money !
This work can be done by a male or women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance