Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 03:29 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalebx28 View Post
why do we allow these credit companies to do this....
Because "we" - by which I mean you - are of weak character and prefer to blame others rather than manning up and taking responsibility for our own choices.

If you spend like a drunken sailor and run up your debt, that's your fault alone and you deserve what comes to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 04:04 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Don't buy what you can't afford to pay off that month.

The only exceptions I make to this rule are home, education, and cars. And I still research those decisions long and hard and in the case of homes and cars, borrow much much less than the bank will qualify me for.

Learn the difference between wants and needs.

Perfect post.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:13 AM

657 posts, read 716,636 times
thanks to credit card going on another trip i can't afford......... thanks american express

Old 10-10-2012, 08:23 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
credit card companies do not enable us. People should be responsible for their own actions. Let those people who are responsible enough to use credit cards and pay their balance off enjoy the benefits of a credit card.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:53 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpress View Post
I don't even know what is going on in this thread.
Yup, that pretty much describes most of the OP's posts. I either don't understand the sentence structure, or I don't understand the point being made.

I can't imagine not paying a CC balance in full at the end of each month, unless it were truly extenuating circumstances. I guess I got good direction (i.e. warning) from my parents, because I didn't even start using one until I was done with college and had a decent job - I only used debit cards up until then and always knew my balance.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who only paid (pays?) the minimum balance and what decision making led them to that course of action. Lack of information? Bad understanding of interest? No self-control?

CC's are great for me since I get 1% back unlike my debit card, and all the transactions don't clog up my checking account statements - I can view them on a separate sheet of paper. But other than those reasons, it's like a debit card to me. (I do feel a little bad that the 1% money is coming from people using CC's irresponsibly)

Old 10-11-2012, 01:22 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Don't buy what you can't afford to pay off that month.

The only exceptions I make to this rule are home, education, and cars. And I still research those decisions long and hard and in the case of homes and cars, borrow much much less than the bank will qualify me for.

Learn the difference between wants and needs.

What if you're living on a poverty level income and you're not buying stuff but you can't afford your rent?

Move out and sleep in doorways?

Old 10-11-2012, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Because "we" - by which I mean you - are of weak character and prefer to blame others rather than manning up and taking responsibility for our own choices.

If you spend like a drunken sailor and run up your debt, that's your fault alone and you deserve what comes to you.

Government says sleeping in a tent in my friend's back yard is not a lawful option.

Shouldn't I have that choice if that's what it takes to live within my means?

Old 10-11-2012, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I'm sorry, don't you know how to say no?
I'm very old. I own one credit card. I use it a regularly and pay it off every month.
My limit is $3k. I need no more, in fact, I don't need that.

You choose to live beyond your means, it's all about choices.

I live on a poverty level income without credit.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlaw View Post
credit card debt is stupid. If you use CC's there is no one to blame but yourself. FICO scores are just a measure of how badly you handle money.

So if you have a minimum wage job and good FICO, then you end up in hospital and are unable to work for a year, you suddently went from handling money okay to handling money poorly?

Old 10-11-2012, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchristian View Post
I agree, there are some serious problems with the culture of spending in America, the entire economy has failed because of the mortgage problem and the people over-leveraging undervalued property.

How is property undervalued? Last I looked, in all but two of the 50 largest U.S. housing markets, it's cheaper to own than to rent.

This means that renters are paying an arm and a leg for the inability to buy a home, that homeowners should be grateful they own and not rent, and that home values SHOULD be higher than they are.

Why are homeowners so cheap?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance