Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 04:21 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Very few of us can double our income.

All of us can decrease how much we spend.

Our spending is fully under our control, and allows us to save / invest.
It's all under out control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 04:23 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,033,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenPatton View Post
I just found out the other day that one of my friends has a business on the side that effectively doubles his money. He's able to put away about $3,500/month in savings and investment. I had NO idea he was doing that well. I was thinking he was doing a little bit better than average but I would never have guessed he was banking so much. He drives a 10 year old Lexus, wears average clothes, isn't really flashy. I know he's not lying because I know the guy he partnered up with for the side business. Kind of makes me wonder how many other people who I think are doing OK are really making some good coin. Anybody else know any people like this?
I'm willing to bet that a large number of the well-off are similar. It's the flashy ones that usually have less than they portray. That's my experience, any way.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:29 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,134,533 times
It depends on your definition of well off I guess~ most farmers take jobs to pay for their living~ vacation time spent getting the crops in and out~extra hours doing the farmwork~putting everything they earn into farm payments and machinery. After working that way for years they go into retirement having taken no vacations~ no going out to eat at expensive resuraunts~ wearing patched clothing and driving whatever they can keep on the road. Their machinery worth hundreds of thousands paid for~ the farm they paid on for years is now paid for~ worth quite a lot~~~ and the snooty people that turned their nose up that took vacations every year and drove new cars and lived in big houses all stand around talking about how rich the farmer is and he didn't deserve to have all that money~ he was just a farmer.

And I also remember the founder of Winnebago Industies talking to my dad in the field~ wearing his bib overalls with patches on the patches and his old beater pickup behind him. So yes, think I've met a few that I think of as wealthy~ but none that wear suits impress me much.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:51 PM

917 posts, read 2,005,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Very few of us can double our income.

All of us can decrease how much we spend.

Our spending is fully under our control, and allows us to save / invest.
That's a sad way of looking at things.

I'm all for saving/budgeting but at some point you just have to earn more money. Speaking from experience.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:21 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post
That's a sad way of looking at things.

I'm all for saving/budgeting but at some point you just have to earn more money. Speaking from experience.
If you have the ability to increase your wages at will, that is great! Go for it

Speaking from experience, I was able to increase my Net Worth through my investments. Which was due to my budgeting.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:51 PM

404 posts, read 904,563 times
Contrary to what most people are saying, most people I know that are wealthy drive nice newer cars, live in million dollar plus homes and eat out on a regular basis. Living frugally and saving so you have a million or two at retirement doesn't make you rich IMO. Having all the nice new toys and gadgets, homes, vacations, etc and still having a few million in the bank is my definition of rich. You're not truly rich unless you live very well and still accumulate wealth. Otherwise you're just living comfortablely.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note

Old 07-28-2012, 01:26 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a bag of it View Post
Contrary to what most people are saying, most people I know that are wealthy drive nice newer cars, live in million dollar plus homes and eat out on a regular basis. Living frugally and saving so you have a million or two at retirement doesn't make you rich IMO. Having all the nice new toys and gadgets, homes, vacations, etc and still having a few million in the bank is my definition of rich. You're not truly rich unless you live very well and still accumulate wealth. Otherwise you're just living comfortablely.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note
Your definition of wealth is not attainable for the majority of people. Your definition of financially comfortable, however, is. Unfortunately, most people never even get to comfortable.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:14 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Your definition of wealth is not attainable for the majority of people. Your definition of financially comfortable, however, is. Unfortunately, most people never even get to comfortable.
The varying degrees of comfortable = the varying degrees of middle class.
You earn enough to pay your own way and that way includes some comforts too.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:15 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,508,680 times
The richest person I know lives in nice middle-class suburb in OHIO. She's worth at least $50 million. You'd never know it.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:03 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,033,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
The richest person I know lives in nice middle-class suburb in OHIO. She's worth at least $50 million. You'd never know it.
Agreed. I thought I knew rich people until I realized that the richest I knew was the closest person to me. No one knew until she passed away and they were sorting out her estate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance