Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 01:23 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,783,097 times

Advertisements

Anyone else waiting for a payout for the Debeers Diamond class action lawsuit? I filed a claim when I stumbled across an article about the lawsuit in 2008. I was thinking I could buy a riding lawn mower with my share. Well I since purchased my riding mower in 2009 and paid it off and I'm still waiting for my money from this class action lawsuit. Anyone else had big plans for this money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 06:43 PM

283 posts, read 581,597 times
We haven't heard anything, and have since moved. Some extra cash would have been nice, oh well

Old 07-06-2012, 07:39 AM

1 posts, read 5,526 times
[url]http://www.diamondsclassaction.com[/url]

It's been settled, you should see a check by the end of summer. However, it's not expected to be much at all. If your purchase was small, you probably won't even be above the threshold for receiving a check.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsec123 View Post
If your purchase was small, you probably won't even be above the threshold for receiving a check.
What do you consider small? I purchased a loose diamond for an engagement ring for $5,000, originally they had a estimated payout sheet, I was expecting about $2,000, but this was very dependent on the number of claims they received. Lots and lots of claims would equal a lower payout for everyone.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:04 AM

Judge Approves Distribution of De Beers Consumer Class Action Settlement Checks

The judge signed on order on May 13, 2013 approving the distribution of checks, but it wasn't filed with the court until May 20th. The checks should be on the way, based on the total number of valid claims of 505,909 and the distribution amount of $107.9 million, the average check should be $195

Old 05-22-2013, 12:53 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times
I would never make a purchase like that based on expected money, ESPECIALLY from a class action lawsuit (where you have no control over the outcome, no control over the amount, and no control over WHEN you MIGHT get any money).

I know you had a post previously about controlling credit card spending and debt. This type of spending is a good example of what to avoid if you want to stay out of debt. Riding mowers aren't cheap, and are not a necessity unless you have a huge yard. Buying one with expected/anticipated claims money is even more of a no-no in terms of good spending habits.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:16 PM

577 posts, read 1,001,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
I would never make a purchase like that based on expected money, ESPECIALLY from a class action lawsuit (where you have no control over the outcome, no control over the amount, and no control over WHEN you MIGHT get any money).

I know you had a post previously about controlling credit card spending and debt. This type of spending is a good example of what to avoid if you want to stay out of debt. Riding mowers aren't cheap, and are not a necessity unless you have a huge yard. Buying one with expected/anticipated claims money is even more of a no-no in terms of good spending habits.
Agreed, I wouldn't count this money in my budget, I would just consider it a pleasant surprise if I ever actually did receive it.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
Riding mowers aren't cheap, and are not a necessity unless you have a huge yard. Buying one with expected/anticipated claims money is even more of a no-no in terms of good spending habits.
I do have a big yard, and needed it. I used it to plow my 175 foot long driveway for 6 snowstorms, use it to mow the grass and move heavy items around the yard. As I stated, I financed it and long since paid it off, so your point is irrelevant. It's not like I brought the tractor and was waiting on this money to pay the bill. I just got my check today, $188, a far cry from what i was originally expecting.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:30 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times
if the result of this lawsuit truly had no bearing on your decision to purchase the riding lawnmower, then yes my point is irrelevant. But if that is really the case, I have to ask why you mentioned the riding lawn mower purchase at all?

Old 06-11-2013, 07:17 AM

38 posts, read 63,158 times
FYI. Received a check in the mail yesterday June 10. It was a large amount a little over 1000.00. I also had moved and notified the trustee of my new address 6 months ago. Not really expected much and was pleasantly surprised. They did ask me for documentation a while ago on my purchase which I did supply. My original purchase was approx. 6000.00. Years ago when I had money to spend. Hope that helps you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance