Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 10:17 AM

494 posts, read 1,910,109 times

Advertisements

Millionaires in the making - Nickel and diming their way to $1 million (2) - CNNMoney

How can a single income public school teacher in their mid 40s with kids amass $600,000? Is this even possible? How much of this is unearned income that is attributable to pure luck - i.e. inheritance, real estate appreciation etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 12:09 PM

5,250 posts, read 6,337,101 times
I would bet a majority of it is real estate appreciation, but he's also had 20+ years of steady employment and if he's been investing steadily the whole time he would be right on track. Some people are also ok with plain lifestyles - almost austere- for a big payout at the retirement.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:21 PM

629 posts, read 1,713,734 times
I do wish they'd provide more info in these type of snapshots that articles usually provide. If they've been extremely frugal and he's been investing since the get-go I suppose it's possible for them to be at that range of net worth. Maybe he bought a house in the right place and that accounts for most of the net worth, maybe one of their parents bought them a home, maybe they received an inheritance. Not really a lot you can learn from a 150 word article like that, though the brief mention of keeping fees low is good advice.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:44 PM

30,856 posts, read 36,757,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
Millionaires in the making - Nickel and diming their way to $1 million (2) - CNNMoney

How can a single income public school teacher in their mid 40s with kids amass $600,000? Is this even possible? How much of this is unearned income that is attributable to pure luck - i.e. inheritance, real estate appreciation etc.?
I was thinking that maybe his wife worked and they saved most of her income before she became a stay at home mom.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:15 AM

2,220 posts, read 3,853,363 times
Quote:

I think it is very doable. A little real estate appreciation on the house, frugal living, maybe the stay at home mom worked before having kids...

My own situation is similar; though both spouses work-one part time.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:17 AM

2,220 posts, read 3,853,363 times
Is that area low COL? That would help...

Old 07-21-2012, 02:43 PM

21,647 posts, read 24,775,047 times
How's it hard to believe? The average teacher in NJ probably makes $60k a year. Assuming he worked 20 years and saved $10,000 a year at 7%, he'd be at $400k. It's not that hard for a single person to live off $30k, half a teacher's salary, so he could have saved more than ~15% of his gross. The stay at home mom is probably college educated and worked, very uncommon nowadays for people to marry outside of their class. Add in any assets she accumulated, equity in the home, a couple modest cars, present value of his pension... Doable.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:19 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,336,420 times
lol

How much of that is in the state Pension which he had to contribute exactly $0 to?

That 20 year government pension alone is prob worth north of $200k.

There's a reason why Gov Christie of NJ is basically waging all out war on NJ teachers.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:51 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,364,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
lol

How much of that is in the state Pension which he had to contribute exactly $0 to?
Why do you say that? From the New Jersey Department of the Treasury Division of Pensions and Benefits website:

The PERS employee pension contribution rate is increased from 5.5% to 6.5% of salary. An additional increase to be phased over the next 7 years will bring the total pension contribution rate to 7.5% of salary.

The TPAF employee pension contribution rate is increased from 5.5% to 6.5% of salary. An additional increase to be phased over the next 7 years will bring the total pension contribution rate to 7.5% of salary.

The PFRS employee pension contribution rate is increased from 8.5% to 10% of salary.

The SPRS employee pension contribution rate is increased from 7.5% to 9% of salary.

For JRS members the employee pension contribution rate will see a phased increase of an additional 9% of salary over 7 years beginning October 2011.

Cost-of-Living Adjustments (COLA) are suspended for all current and future retirees of all retirement systems.

It looks like most of these increases went into effect Oct 2011.

I'm a PERS employee in another state - and my contribution is 9%.

Last edited by Gandalara; 07-22-2012 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: Added date.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:01 PM

16,358 posts, read 30,066,770 times
Quote:

Teachers are notorious for being frugal with their money. I know a good number of teachers who are millionaires, excluding the impact of their retirement funds.

Also remember that teacher pay has increased a lot over the past twenty-five years. The local teacher pay is $60-80k with some earning over $100k when you include supplemental pay (i.e., coaches, drivers training, etc.)

Also, many teachers, firemen, and police officers have side businesses. The guy who recently refinished my hardwood floors teaches in a local high school. The waiter at the local tapas restaurant that we go to occasionally also waits teaches Spanish in another high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance