Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2009, 09:02 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times

Advertisements

And since none of this is YOUR fault, I guess you'll just sit at home and watch TV on the Plasma TV that you bought with the credit card you now refuse to pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 11:35 AM

312 posts, read 860,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
And since none of this is YOUR fault, I guess you'll just sit at home and watch TV on the Plasma TV that you bought with the credit card you now refuse to pay?
thats a great idea besy buy here i come

Old 01-24-2009, 11:25 AM

349 posts, read 1,040,287 times
Default To Loose Canon

Hey Loose Canon,
Let me give you some sound advice and not criticize you, I have been where you are and after losing my job I could not pay my cc debt, it's enormous. Anway call a debt settlement company, and have them negotiate a smaller amount to satisfy the loan, then over time rebuild your credit, if you do not pay this they will find you and can seize bank accounts, cars, anything of value and if you get married they can also attach garnishment to your spouse. Your balance is not that high you would be able to take care of this in a short time, and you will sleep at night not being hounded my collections and them finding you anyways. The price you pay for ignoring debt can make your auto insurance higher, you can be denied a bank account or job because of it, these are facts. I wish you well and please don't make the same stupid mistake I did.

jadbad

Old 01-24-2009, 02:30 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadbad2004 View Post
Hey Loose Canon,
Let me give you some sound advice and not criticize you, I have been where you are and after losing my job I could not pay my cc debt, it's enormous. Anway call a debt settlement company, and have them negotiate a smaller amount to satisfy the loan, then over time rebuild your credit, if you do not pay this they will find you and can seize bank accounts, cars, anything of value and if you get married they can also attach garnishment to your spouse. Your balance is not that high you would be able to take care of this in a short time, and you will sleep at night not being hounded my collections and them finding you anyways. The price you pay for ignoring debt can make your auto insurance higher, you can be denied a bank account or job because of it, these are facts. I wish you well and please don't make the same stupid mistake I did.

jadbad
False statement . CC debt , is unsecured , . With out a judgment , thru a lawsuit , they can not do much of anything. You do not need a " negotiator," a waste of money , just when you need it the most. make your own deals with the CC companies , document it well , have proof , should it come back to bite.
Unless the CC debt is over 100,000 , most likely they will not bother with a direct lawsuit. Your bad debt , will be sold to various " collectors" , who ever collects , gets a major portion of the spoils. If uncollected , after three years , it goes away , they give up. ( Your credit score will be affected for some time). However , a lot of people don't care about that ether , especially when they are facing a foreclosure, and , have no place to live. Food and housing should always come first , preserve your cash , you will need it even more when you are homeless.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:53 AM

Default CC Debt

That is what i was referring to ..That a judgement can be made against you and I spoke with an attorney because I received a summons I was being sued, I also found out they may not be able to directly take my VA disability but once it is in my account it can and will be seized. I was letting them know and anyone else it will not go away...And some CC companies will not negotiate directly with you, I tried this with mine and was flatly denied.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadbad2004 View Post
That is what i was referring to ..That a judgement can be made against you and I spoke with an attorney because I received a summons I was being sued, I also found out they may not be able to directly take my VA disability but once it is in my account it can and will be seized. I was letting them know and anyone else it will not go away...And some CC companies will not negotiate directly with you, I tried this with mine and was flatly denied.
It does depend on what state you are in also. savings and loan banks, credit unions , are the worst. If you are in that bad a fix now , don't put anything in the bank. cash all your checks , do not do direct deposit.
The credit card companies and their collectors , will always take the easiest way . They will look up your last payment , the bank it was written on , and , go there first. Same goes for judgments , there is protection out there , they can't take everything. Seek legal help , someone who knows the laws as they apply in your state. Bankruptcy may be your best avenue , once you file , the nightmare will be over.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:28 PM

Default thanks

Thank you, this is what I plan on doing, I know that this debt I received a summons for was sold off, the others do not state that but I figured why take a chance that they will not continue to threaten me, the last account I made a payment on does not get much activity but my VA, I have since moved to a different state and have a different bank for my living expenses here. I only hope once I tell them I'm filing bankruptcy they will not push for a quick court date and garnish my husbands wages before the bankruptcy is actually filed. Athough I have been told that they may not because they know any judgement they get will be discharged.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:33 PM

389 posts, read 1,075,254 times
You're a complete idiot. Pay your debts. And if you can't afford to pay for something...

DON'T FARKING BUY IT!!!!

Sorry if this has essentially been said already (I'm sure it has).

It takes a LONG time to get out of debt. I paid off 15K in debt in 3 years, though.

Make a budget, stick to it, pay off your debts, and THEN you can stop living paycheck to paycheck.

Or you can be a douche nozzle and try to avoid paying what you rightfully owe (whether or not you were drunk when you bought what you bought).

Old 01-27-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticPhoenix View Post
You're a complete idiot. Pay your debts. And if you can't afford to pay for something...

DON'T FARKING BUY IT!!!!

Sorry if this has essentially been said already (I'm sure it has).

It takes a LONG time to get out of debt. I paid off 15K in debt in 3 years, though.

Make a budget, stick to it, pay off your debts, and THEN you can stop living paycheck to paycheck.

Or you can be a douche nozzle and try to avoid paying what you rightfully owe (whether or not you were drunk when you bought what you bought).
You do not know this persons situation , don't judge just based on your general position .

Old 01-28-2009, 03:15 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
What's wrong with being in debt? I have $15,000 in unsecured debt and $17,000 on a car loan. Because I kept my nose clean, played it smart and took advantage of balance transfer offers, I have a combined interest rate of 4.3% on all of that debt, and once I get the AmEx paid off, it'll be 3.8%. In that situation, it's not why pay it.. it's why pay it off? After the inflation effect, it's like financing for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance