Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 10:20 AM

32,509 posts, read 47,521,327 times

Advertisements

Mostly real estate, but also oil wells, department stores, insurance, surgery, parts for rocket ships. Old money, publishing, household electronics, swords and razors, cotton plantations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 11:18 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,458,156 times
The few I know are from:
Real Estate (1)
Business owners (2)- HVAC and Roofing
Inherited family business that revenues 30 million a year (1).
Partner at large firm (1).

Old 09-15-2015, 08:13 PM

17,004 posts, read 21,680,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotodc View Post
I know a few, although most are more like $100M than $10.. The $100m plus friends I have are all old money... Think magazine /newspaper founders, oil and gas company founders, media and entertainment moguls, etc. The $10m are just well off mostly normal folks.... bankers, private equity, general counsel, etc.
Old money in magazines/newspapers = dead broke today!

Keep in mind a VCR manufacturer was on the top of their game in 1985, today not even in business!

Old 09-15-2015, 08:14 PM

17,004 posts, read 21,680,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
The few I know are from:
Real Estate (1)
Business owners (2)- HVAC and Roofing
Inherited family business that revenues 30 million a year (1).
Partner at large firm (1).
Keep in mind 30 million in revenue and 31 million in expenses = in the red 1 million dollars!
Revenue doesn't always = profit!

Old 09-15-2015, 09:56 PM

3,653 posts, read 4,782,767 times
I know plenty as in order to afford the types of boats I work on, and use them, one must be well off. But I really don't pry into the personal finances of my bosses. As far as a couple that I worked for, they started out regular people, not remotely rich.

One worked his butt off in a construction trade and moved up to commercial contracting. He still gets his hands dirty right besides his employees and is one you don't say it can't be done. He'll prove you wrong every time!

One started a small company and it was sold and payed for partially in company stocks. He be came a billionaire!

Looking at the names on the back of boats in assorted places you can kind of figure out what they did. There are multi brand car dealers, high end commercial contractors, Dr's, Stock brokers and investing firms, Real estate, yacht dealers/brokerage firms, retired athletes, singers, sportfish yacht builders, assorted internet and tech CEO's and a few from the "lucky sperm club" and trust fund kids.

The one trait those I know all seem to share is that they are always busy. Even when out of the country on a fishing trip they'll be inside on the phone.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:15 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,661,204 times
The richest person I know he has a few hundred million dollars, and he never worked a day in his life. He inherited his money. I think some of my neighbors have millions of dollars that they also inherited. I have an uncle who made his own money. One of those businesses started in the garage that grew much much larger.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:17 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,104,614 times
Real estate.
Owns own business.
Owns own business.
Does startups.
Hedge fund manager.
VP oil company.

Otherwise, most millionaires I know are more in the 2-6 mil range.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:29 AM

24,512 posts, read 18,016,093 times
I have a 30 year friend who made $25 million in a dot.com startup. I know the number because she was named in the SEC filing. Her startup was sold to another private company. She had a falling out and quit but kept all her stock. That private company was then purchased by a public company. She made $25 million on something that could easily have been worth zero.

My dot.com startup got bought by a private company that was bought by Lucent. I never sold the stock and learned a valuable lesson when the stock crashed when the dot.com bubble burst. I still own that almost worthless Alcatel-Lucent stock as an object lesson in maintaining a diversified portfolio.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:43 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,257,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevechang103 View Post
Hello,

To anyone who has known a decamillionaire,

if you have ever known or spoken to them,

how did they get rich and how did they find the specific niche that allowed them to get rich?

Thanks
They worked hard and knew how to hire people to help them get more work done than they could by them self.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:57 PM

581 posts, read 611,136 times
The ones I know are: (In order of most to least wealth)

Retired CEO of publicly traded oil services company
Small Business owner who sold company at retirement
Small Business owner who sold company at retirement to large publicly traded company
Trust Fund baby
Modest inheritance he used to build a bar/restaurant empire back in my hometown.
Plastic Surgeon.

The one thing they all have in common (aside from the trust fund baby...) is they all worked their butts off and didn't come from much. And the two richest ones, live very modest lifestyle despite being worth in excess of 100mil these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance