Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2012, 01:48 PM

20,571 posts, read 19,222,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
Well, in a lot of ways that poster is right. In a lot of the more expensive parts of the country, the salaries are not actually scaled proportionally if you are working middle class type jobs and it really is more expensive just to live on the necessities.

However, the important thing to note is this: If you cannot afford to live where you live and you KNOW and can prove that other parts of the country are cheaper to live in even working the same or similar job ... MOVE THERE or stop complaining. I'm guessing that people live in San Diego because they want to live in San Diego...they enjoy the benefits of being there versus being in Ohio. Guess what? You pay for that. You lose sympathy to complain about your cost of living because you CHOOSE to live in an expensive city.

That's what I did back in 2007. When I graduated college, I weighed the salaries vs cost of living (as well as the actual positions themselves of course) as opposed to just the salaries. I ended up moving to the place with the lowest cost of living out of all my job offers (but it was my 2nd highest salary offering). While I would have loved to have moved to Chicago or San Diego or Portland or some place, I knew those places were expensive and that I would not be able to save as much as I would like. Instead I chose to live somewhere cheap and visit other places that I liked.

If I had moved to a high cost city, you wouldn't see me on here complaining about it because it would have been my choice to live there. Yet, I see people all the time my age, who graduate college and move to NYC or some other big city without a great job lined up...and then 6 months later they are complaining about how they are barely scraping by and living in a run-down apartment and crying that people just don't know how expensive it is to live in (insert big city here)! Guess what, no sympathy from me.
Yeah, and I have tried to explain it to you fruits and nuts on the coasts with your stupid tax policy. Prop 13 was real brilliant. Am I supposed to feel a swell of pity for those that self flagellated their economy ? Its the same policy as revolutionary France.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
Yeah, with the name Ohio girl, I should assume you don't live there. Give me a break. You can change your screen name, so don't take it personally when people assume you're from Ohio when your freaking name is "Ohiogirl".

The fact is, people who live in the Midwest have no clue about financial hardship. Try living in DC, NYC, Boston, San Francisco, LA, San Diego or Seattle and talk about home ownership. Only those of us who have every advantage and high-level careers can afford it...none of my friends is in a position to own, most struggle to keep up with the rent and can't save a dime. When you can't even rent a BEDROOM for less than $750 a month, it's pretty freaking hard.

Why live there to become their peasantry? Unless you buy assets to get some of the rent capture, you are a slave.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:02 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,121,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Oh I have a few mistakes that is for sure. Don't always have time to edit.
I see. When you make mistakes it's due to lack of time but when others do it's because they're "poorly educated".

Old 09-13-2012, 02:06 PM

88 posts, read 93,430 times
IMO, I think the passage of time will reveal this generation, which at 30 I am nearly a part of, will show themselves to have an extreme aversion to debt. Too many of them have been burned by huge student loan debts, which unlike the debts their parents generation built up cannot be discharged by a bankruptcy. At least people who got in trouble with mortgages, auto loans and credit cards had a way out, even if it meant not having access to more credit for a few years.

That will mean fewer car purchases and fewer homebuyers as well. I think you'll see this generation rent homes even when it might make more financial sense long-term to buy a home (depending on location of course). The benefits of homeownership will matter little to a generation that feels so insecure about its future.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:38 PM

4,670 posts, read 5,058,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
"Why don't young people buy cars and houses like they used to?"
Because we're poor.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:40 PM

577 posts, read 998,646 times
Quote:
Cars are terrible investments, especially new ones, but it's better to own than to lease because at least you have some kind of equity and can eventually pay it off and have no expense in that area.

But you're clearly very sheltered because you can't find decent living accomodations in many places for $700, and a $1200 mortgage gets you a shack where I'm at (unless you put down 35% like I did).

Look at the crap you can get for $700 in San Diego

It's even worse in San Francisco, it's essentially impossible, none of the listings are actually in SF.

In fact, it's definitely cheaper in the long run to buy here than rent, hence why I just purchased my condo.
Cheaper to buy in San Francisco than rent?

Old 09-13-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I see. When you make mistakes it's due to lack of time but when others do it's because they're "poorly educated".
Yep. I am afraid there is a difference between forgetting a comma or misspelling a word against complete ignorance and cognitive failure basted in arrogant pig grease. Not once have you done anything other than attack me.

Stop being a hypocrite with your comma errors.. You are humiliating yourself.

Sentences:* Simple, Compound, and Complex
A compound sentence contains two independent clauses joined by a coordinator. The coordinators are as follows: for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so. (Helpful hint: The first letter of each of the coordinators spells FANBOYS.) Except for very short sentences, coordinators are always preceded by a comma.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomalak View Post
IMO, I think the passage of time will reveal this generation, which at 30 I am nearly a part of, will show themselves to have an extreme aversion to debt. Too many of them have been burned by huge student loan debts, which unlike the debts their parents generation built up cannot be discharged by a bankruptcy. At least people who got in trouble with mortgages, auto loans and credit cards had a way out, even if it meant not having access to more credit for a few years.

That will mean fewer car purchases and fewer homebuyers as well. I think you'll see this generation rent homes even when it might make more financial sense long-term to buy a home (depending on location of course). The benefits of homeownership will matter little to a generation that feels so insecure about its future.
They don't care.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:21 PM

41,727 posts, read 74,665,297 times
Quote:
Yeah, with the name Ohio girl, I should assume you don't live there. Give me a break. You can change your screen name, so don't take it personally when people assume you're from Ohio when your freaking name is "Ohiogirl".
Why would you assume anything about anyone? Well ... You know what they say about people who ASSume.

Quote:
Try living in DC, NYC, Boston, San Francisco, LA, San Diego or Seattle and talk about home ownership.
I own a home in Philly. Close enough for you?

Quote:
So yeah, people in the Midwest have NO clue what it's like to struggle for money to afford housing.
You have two choices: Move, or stop complaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomalak View Post
IMO, I think the passage of time will reveal this generation, which at 30 I am nearly a part of, will show themselves to have an extreme aversion to debt. Too many of them have been burned by huge student loan debts
That's a good point; the one small loan I took out was paid off within three years despite my being laid off twice within the first 15 months after graduating from college. I can't imagine being saddled with loans of tens of thousands of dollars.

But would an "extreme aversion to debt" would involve ditching the credit cards?

Old 09-13-2012, 03:26 PM

4,149 posts, read 6,839,060 times
I am extremely averse to debt (only debt is our mortgage...student loans and cars are all already paid off) but I have no problem with credit cards.

We've never carried a balance or missed a payment. We use them for the convenience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance