Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2012, 11:56 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times

Advertisements

I had several tenants when I was managing for others that were doing ok... they paid their bills and had money to go out on weekends... nothing fancy.

In each case... they were evicted several months after they had bought cars because they were in over their heads... one was used and she spend $3600 for a rebuilt engine and never could get the car to run right...

Another had bought a new car and missed a monthly insurance payment before totalling the car... she was being sued for property damage, the car lender was after her and she ended up moving back to her parents...

Cars can cost a lot more than some people imagine...

Right now, I have a couple 29 and 31... they bought a used Range Rover... I advised against it because I know how expensive repairs can be... it's been a rat hole since the second week they owned it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 05:40 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,320,786 times
We can't afford it that's why, which is why I'm not going to go to a university. I don't want to have to deal with debt causing me to delay my future life stages.

I know if I had the money, I'd be living in my own house by now!

Old 09-29-2012, 08:03 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
The way I see it, not much changes generation wise. Young people ( especially Guys) get involved with their cars. Then they get married and everything changes. Cars get sold, small houses are whats on th minds of the couple. Over time as they save up a little for the downpayment, the sale of anything they don't need takes front and center. If there are kids coming along, saving becomes harder.
Bottom line, I see the lack of income the reason 20s something young people are not buying.Remember, many of these kids have trouble acquiring credit and banks are not loaning, so no car, no house, until they get older or some help from their folks.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:22 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,744,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
We can't afford it that's why, which is why I'm not going to go to a university. I don't want to have to deal with debt causing me to delay my future life stages.

I know if I had the money, I'd be living in my own house by now!
I'd rather make a down payment for a house than to be strangled with debt after getting a college degree and not being able to get a "Good job". I think college is worthless so I'd rather buy a house. At least I'll have somewhere to live rather than getting a piece of paper that I can wipe the floor with.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:46 PM

2,250 posts, read 1,395,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
"Why don't young people buy cars and houses like they used to?"
We don't have any money because college left us in debt and getting a degree nowadays doesn't guarantee you anything farther than being able to say that you're a college graduate.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:30 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
I'd rather make a down payment for a house than to be strangled with debt after getting a college degree and not being able to get a "Good job". I think college is worthless so I'd rather buy a house. At least I'll have somewhere to live rather than getting a piece of paper that I can wipe the floor with.
Your thoughts have great merit these days. I to long long age chose the same route, I just did not have time for college with all the ventures in front of me.From my part, perhaps the early result was a bad one ,considering I learned I needed more time and experience in the business world. Some of that could have come from higher learning. For a lot of kids though, I could see trade school as a better more productive route to travel. Most of those Grads are working and doing well. Skilled workers are in big demand in our Country, contrary to what you may hear about the high unemployment rate in general.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:34 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
"Why don't young people buy cars and houses like they used to?"

In my experience, they are.

Even my own kids, both twenty-somethings married to twenty-somethings.
All four are employed in their fields, have houses, and three have new cars. Three of them also have their student loans paid in full.

Their friends have similar stories.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:26 AM

890 posts, read 1,649,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
In my experience, they are.

Even my own kids, both twenty-somethings married to twenty-somethings.
All four are employed in their fields, have houses, and three have new cars. Three of them also have their student loans paid in full.

Their friends have similar stories.
Depends who you hang around. I live in a major metro, most of the people I know have cars, but not houses. It's a transient city however, so it is to be expected. Although homes are pretty cheap here

Old 09-30-2012, 12:44 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,989,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
What industry are people working in to make enough to live independent, and comfortably where a "bachelors degree" isn't a prerequisite to apply?

Old 09-30-2012, 03:02 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,320,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
What industry are people working in to make enough to live independent, and comfortably where a "bachelors degree" isn't a prerequisite to apply?
I don't know where the OP you quoted lives but in my state (Florida), there are lots of jobs available people can get without a college degree. Most men work in manual labor jobs like construction, farming, plumbing, electrician, etc and women usually work in offices. The majority of people here can afford a house with these kinds of jobs too and most people here don't have college degrees.

I know plumbers who make more money than people with college degrees. Also, it seems like the 20 something I know who didn't go to college are further ahead in life than the ones who did go to college. Meaning, the ones who didn't go to college, most of them are married with children a house already. While the college ones are still living at home and seem to be more immature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance