Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 06:20 AM

89 posts, read 149,571 times

Advertisements

Finance a boat, use boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 05:26 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
With 3K extra per month my need for hookers and blow would partially be rectified.
I'm 99.7% sure your kidding.....but if not...ouch.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:17 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,297,951 times
I think i've made a decision....I'm looking into a rental property in the area of 170-210k in a great location. apt is very small (~700 sqft) with only 1 bath 1 bed but as mentioned, in a GREAT location with a metro station being built very close by (almost walking distance ~1 mile).

condo fee is there but manageable (~275/month). The mortgage will be about 1050 + 275 + 100 misc. and i think it'll rent for around the same price given the location....

this way, i can try to pay off this rental property using most of the 3k surplus...

any thoughts and/or suggestions?

Old 10-02-2012, 09:39 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,893,349 times
Hopefully you have a nice house. I'd rather dump into a nice 3k sq ft home on a lake with a pool and a 5 car garage full of toys. But that's just this guy.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:03 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,223,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Assuming you're already paying double on your 10 year mortgage, maxing 401k, enough emergency stash, what would you do with the remaining 3k take home?

Options:

- IRA (no ira account currently)
- save in cash
- pay down mortgage even further
- buy stocks/large caps
- mutual funds
- invest in local businesses? (don't know how to even go about this...)
- CD (at 1% return...)
- Other?

I do like the idea of having liquid assets, as you never know when the BEST opportunity on the planet may present itself and you won't be able to 'jump' on it, unless you have cash....as cash is always king it seems...

thoughts welcome.
I'd do what I've been doing: put that money into my own business.

Of your options listed, the only even remotely good ideas are just saving for whatever or buying stocks (but even that, I'm not crazy about). IRAs, mutual funds, CDs, and investing in SOMEONE ELSE'S business are a sucker's bet.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:17 PM

23 posts, read 23,778 times
Drop IRA contribution to zero. Take $3k + former Ira contribution (less current taxes) and buy 24k physical gold bullion quality coins. This would largely limit you to Maple Leaf and Philharmonic.

To take any other action with the Ira funds involves a lot of guessing on what the future will look like. Over the past 4+ years a trend seems to have emerged globally on both issues and paths towards solutions.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:09 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,786 times
$750-savings
$750-investments/ira
$1500-vegas

single, no kids, no mortgage, no cc debt. sucks for you guys

Old 10-03-2012, 10:23 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,297,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJack87 View Post
I'd do what I've been doing: put that money into my own business.

Of your options listed, the only even remotely good ideas are just saving for whatever or buying stocks (but even that, I'm not crazy about). IRAs, mutual funds, CDs, and investing in SOMEONE ELSE'S business are a sucker's bet.
i don't have a business......how would your comment help someone like me? Are you suggesting i start a business with the 3k a month? (i'm not saying it's a bad idea....i'm just trying to clarify what you meant exactly)...if so, then the question becomes 'what' business?
thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonydr2 View Post
Drop IRA contribution to zero. Take $3k + former Ira contribution (less current taxes) and buy 24k physical gold bullion quality coins. This would largely limit you to Maple Leaf and Philharmonic.

To take any other action with the Ira funds involves a lot of guessing on what the future will look like. Over the past 4+ years a trend seems to have emerged globally on both issues and paths towards solutions.
I thought about physical gold....but others have suggested that it's a big gamble.......not sure if it'll go right back down to 500.....or skyrocket to 4k.....
regardless, it seemed a bit risky.....maybe i'm wrong though.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:28 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
50% savings until I have enough for six months of household expenses.

10% for discretionary purchases, i.e. fun.

40% for investments.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:33 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,007,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Assuming you're already paying double on your 10 year mortgage, maxing 401k, enough emergency stash, what would you do with the remaining 3k take home?

Options:

- IRA (no ira account currently)
- save in cash
- pay down mortgage even further
- buy stocks/large caps
- mutual funds
- invest in local businesses? (don't know how to even go about this...)
- CD (at 1% return...)
- Other?

I do like the idea of having liquid assets, as you never know when the BEST opportunity on the planet may present itself and you won't be able to 'jump' on it, unless you have cash....as cash is always king it seems...

thoughts welcome.
Open a ROTH IRA - all earnings are tax-free upon liquidation. You can't beat that anywhere.
Buy Series I bonds at Treasury Direct - super safe, will earn the rate of inflation, currently paying 2.20%, but hurry the rate will most definitely go down on November 1st.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance