U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 07:33 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,238,664 times

Advertisements

I easily blow my $500 food budget out of the water every month. I live in NY.

What are you people eating to keep it in check? BTW, I tend to stay away from food from the "middle of the grocery store".

So, for $16/day, what's on your plate? PB&J? Mac and Cheese? Spaghetti in a jar? Chicken nuggets? Tuna Helper? Rice-a-roni? Frozen Dinner? Deli sandwich?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 08:15 AM

2,443 posts, read 5,650,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I'd challenge anyone to look at what they spend in proportion to what they made over the years and I'm assuming as your income rose, so did your level of spending. That's how it is in my situation and most people I know who make good money.
I've kept my spending levels to when I was making 50-60k. I also had a car payment back then, now that $575 that I used to pay is banked. Now that I'm making 6 figures I just max out my retirement accounts and pad my bank account. I save roughly 30% of my gross income in retirement savings and regular savings. I still manage to own two automobiles and two motorcycles outright. Go on vacations every year. Eat out at restaurants whenever I feel like it and not feel guilty. My only debt is my mortgage and if things pan out, that should be paid off in 13 years.

Realistically if I lost my job tomorrow and had to "settle" for a 60k a year salary, I could do it. I probably wouldn't be able to fully fund my retirement accounts, but I could still live the same lifestyle as I do now. I also live in the DC Metro area which has really expensive housing, but the upside is the economy is booming so it shouldn't take too long to find a decent job.

$1200/ mortgage PITI + utilities payment
$0/ student loans
$0/ car payment
$70/ cell phone
$400/ food (Grocery & restaurants)
$200/ fuel
$230/ health/car insurance
$200/ Misc expenses

Old 10-16-2012, 10:53 AM

917 posts, read 1,587,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I think $60K is decent for an individual. By the time you're 30, I'd imagine you should be in the 6 figure range if you're good at what you do. I know a lot of people in their 50s and 60s who still work minimum wage jobs or just above that and it blows my mind.
I don't think that's the case for most people. I wish it were true.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:35 PM

2,615 posts, read 4,176,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post

What are you people eating to keep it in check? BTW, I tend to stay away from food from the "middle of the grocery store".

So, for $16/day, what's on your plate? PB&J? Mac and Cheese? Spaghetti in a jar? Chicken nuggets? Tuna Helper? Rice-a-roni? Frozen Dinner? Deli sandwich?
My wife and I's regular food budget (Breakfast, lunch, dinner for all of our normal meals - not including the once a week or so we eat out with friends or on our own) is $400 per month for both of us.

Breakfast is usually eggs, coffee, with toast or fruit. Food throughout the day (I graze more than have one big lunch) is some sort of homemade sandwich (peanut butter+banana, peanut butter+jelly, etc.) various fruits, assortment of nuts, some homemade treats, various vegetables (tomatoes, carrots, broccoli etc.) usually with some cheese or hummus or something. Dinner is wide open. Sometimes it is homemade pizza, sometimes homemade pasta, sometimes homemade fish dishes. My wife is vegan and I eat 90% vegetarian with a little fish thrown in and sometimes beef out at restaurants. As you can see though, the key is we buy mostly individual fresh items and prepare our meals ourselves.

The more you eat out the faster your food costs rise (it's almost exponential). I can make a tasty, healthy breakfast for <$1, but breakfast out or heck even a single coffee out easily costs 5x what I spend. It adds up quickly.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:07 PM

22,021 posts, read 23,791,249 times
Quote:

Think "basic ingredients". Dried Beans. Whole Wheat Pasta. Fresh fruits & veggies. Trader Joes branc couscous. Stocking up when things are on sale. (EG. I have a bunch of boxes of whole wheat pasta that I bought for $1 on sale) Honestly, I don't know how anyone can blow $500 a month on food for a single person. I eat out a few times a week and don't spend that much.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:36 PM

8,762 posts, read 12,820,962 times
Quote:

We try to keep to a budget of $300 a month for food. My wife has also been on a fairly strict diet (she has a thyroid problem which causes her body to not burn carbs, and turn them into fat at a greater than normal rate). The diet also calls for very low sodium. We eat mostly chicken, fish, turkey, shrimp, scallops, etc at meals, with all fresh vegetables, etc. Nothing out of a box or can (except she eats tuna as a snack, she eats 6 small "meals" a day, but buys ultra low sodium 35 mg per can tuna which runs $1.50 a can).

A lot of what we spend is based on decent meal sizes, and just what the going rate is for that food. We usually get chicken at $1.99 a pound for boneless, skinless breasts. Fish is mostly talapia, haddock, or other fish which is on the cheaper end. Since our daughter is 3, she eats relatively little at meals anyway... although it has been very difficult to get her to eat anything outside of middle of the store stuff.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:39 PM

4,330 posts, read 4,111,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Only if you avoid whiskey and women. If you don't $600,000 is not enough.
LMAO!!!

Old 10-16-2012, 02:43 PM

6,623 posts, read 10,371,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post
I don't think that's the case for most people. I wish it were true.
Yeah it's not the case but I feel like people should have that type of goal.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:58 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,238,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Think "basic ingredients". Dried Beans. Whole Wheat Pasta. Fresh fruits & veggies. Trader Joes branc couscous. Stocking up when things are on sale. (EG. I have a bunch of boxes of whole wheat pasta that I bought for $1 on sale) Honestly, I don't know how anyone can blow $500 a month on food for a single person. I eat out a few times a week and don't spend that much.
2 slices and a coke for lunch cost me >$10 today.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:12 PM

2,615 posts, read 4,176,481 times
Quote:
2 slices and a coke for lunch cost me >$10 today.
doesn't surprise me. I think most people in here already said that the more you eat out, your food cost goes up exponentially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance