Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much do you charge each month on your credit cards?
Less than $500 16 26.67%
$500-$1000 7 11.67%
$1000-$2000 20 33.33%
$2000-$3000 7 11.67%
$3000-$4000 4 6.67%
$4000+ 6 10.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 10:02 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times

Advertisements

Between $4000 and $6000 per month. Paid off every month. (Have earned a lot of free Southwest Airlines flights over the past 15 or so years.)
Never had a credit card balance in my life.
Never had a car payment in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 10:18 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post

$500 is nothing to charge on a card; that's a few dinners out at a nice restaurant.

I generally charge all of my restaurant visits throughout the month ($1000-$1200) plus fuel ($500-ish) plus clothing ($100) plus any household goods/necessities ($200-ish) plus any large purchases or boating expenses. Last month was around $2600, this month might be slightly less because fuel went down in cost and I haven't gone boating this month.
As I said, compared to my lifestyle, yours is incomprehensible, and I don't feel deprived of anything I wish I had.

I've had a few dinners in my life at nice restaurants, but I can't recall ever enjoying any of them very much.
I get a burger once or twice a month, $5, which is $995-$1195 less than you.
I walk nearly everywhere, take the bus every week or two. $495-ish less than you. I wouldn't spend $500 on fuel making a coast-to-coat road trip.
I think I bought new socks this year, so clothing is $99 less.
My last large purchase was light bulbs, and I have no boat, so $195-ish less.

I'm going to guess that your boat alone costs you more than my entire cost of living. I would not trade places with you, but that's OK, because you wouldn't trade places with me either. In fact, I wouldn't trade places with you even for a day, because I'd be afraid you wouldn't give mine back.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-16-2012 at 11:17 AM..

Old 10-16-2012, 11:33 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,043,113 times
I'm working on my first card, a secured card, and only using it for gasoline. I've been averaging $60-$70/month. If they let me graduate to a legitimate credit card, I'll probably use it more in place of my bank debit card.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:37 AM

890 posts, read 1,649,075 times
I only use my card for emergencies

Old 10-16-2012, 11:39 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
I'm with you jtur

If I charged all my daily expenses on my card every month, it would still be less than $500/month. I just don't spend that much. Groceries, about $300...fuel about $40, occasional clothing, maybe $20 month average, although that tends to be all at once in one big shopping trip, maybe a pizza for $15. That's about it. I do charge some of those things, but not all. Sometimes I just pay cash, or use my debit card, depending. Online purchases, I always use my credit card, but again, I just don't buy much in the first place.

I always pay everything in full. And I've had the same 2 main cards now for about 10 years. I added a Best Buy card a few years ago that my husband charges on for the bonus reward points when he shops there, but then we always pay it off immediately.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:40 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
We charge nothing on our credit cards except for travel which we pay off immediately upon reciept of the expense check and emergency charges. However our cards are all pretty much full from emergencies that bunched up in a 2-3 year period. Prior to that, we would charge a lot and pay it off each month to get the points and boost our credit rating. Maybe $6000 - $10,000.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:44 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I don't use CCs because I'm a holier than though CD member.
Yay Dave Ramsey!

(Around 1k per month paid in full each month)
hahaha nice.

1500-2000 per month for us. Paid off completely in full every time.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:01 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You mean there are people who spend more than $500 a month on their card? I can't even imagine needing to spend that kind of money every month on things that I can put on my card. What do you do, put your mortgage and car payments on a credit card? $100 a day for lunch?

$4,000 a month is more than the gross pre-tax earnings of the median family, and that's what you spend besides your mortgage, car payments, saving and investments? I can't even imagine Mitt and Anne charging that much stuff.
I think you're feigning shock here. Yes, I understand you keep your expenses pretty low, but from what you listed in follow-up posts, it's not sustainable to spend the $ (or lack thereof) you claim for food and clothing each month. I'm happy you can live so thrifty, but you shouldn't be surprised others spend more. Unless that first sentence was sarcasm and I totally missed it...

Except for mortgage, student loans, utilities, car/life insurance, church giving and HOA dues, we put everything else on our CC's each month. So a couple thousand dollars is not particularly unreasonable since we're not trying to survive on a 30K HH income budget.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:12 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
As I said, compared to my lifestyle, yours is incomprehensible, and I don't feel deprived of anything I wish I had.

I've had a few dinners in my life at nice restaurants, but I can't recall ever enjoying any of them very much.
I get a burger once or twice a month, $5, which is $995-$1195 less than you.
I walk nearly everywhere, take the bus every week or two. $495-ish less than you. I wouldn't spend $500 on fuel making a coast-to-coat road trip.
I think I bought new socks this year, so clothing is $99 less.
My last large purchase was light bulbs, and I have no boat, so $195-ish less.

I'm going to guess that your boat alone costs you more than my entire cost of living. I would not trade places with you, but that's OK, because you wouldn't trade places with me either. In fact, I wouldn't trade places with you even for a day, because I'd be afraid you wouldn't give mine back.
I'm not trying to compare lifestyles, you seem to have take offense for some unknown reason. I never said anyone who spent less would feel deprived and I don't know what you're trying to prove by stating how much less you spend than me on certain items. It's petty and childish and I don't care if you wouldn't want to trade places, I never asked if anyone wanted to be in my position or visa versa.

And one of my leisure activities is boating; millions of people have boats, not something out of the ordinary. Between docking fees, slip rental, maintenance, insurance, fuel, etc...I probably spend over $10K/ year on having a boat but it's one of the few things I take pure enjoyment in so it's money well spent in my book. Certainly you have something you enjoy as well, everyone does.

Quote:
I think you're feigning shock here. Yes, I understand you keep your expenses pretty low, but from what you listed in follow-up posts, it's not sustainable to spend the $ (or lack thereof) you claim for food and clothing each month. I'm happy you can live so thrifty, but you shouldn't be surprised others spend more. Unless that first sentence was sarcasm and I totally missed it...
My thoughts precisely. I didn't even KNOW you could buy a burger for $5 nowadays unless it's at a fast food restaurant.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:01 PM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,727,922 times
We charge somewhere around 4 to 7k per month across two cards, paid in full. This type of poll is silly because it doesntndo much for comparison purposes unless you have identical income to your sample.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance