Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 06:11 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,484 times

Advertisements

Apologies if this sounds similar to another thread (Am I Responsible to Pay Doctor).

I went to see a doctor a few months ago to get an HPV vaccine. They didn't have the vaccine available, and the doctor tried to discourage me from getting it, I suspect due to personal beliefs. I was told that "HPV rarely causes complications", though I explained that a close friend had HPV which resulted in cancer. Eventually the doctor claimed that my insurance wouldn't cover it and they would not order it for me. A week later, I was able to get the vaccine from different doctor, and it was fully covered by my insurance.

I just received a bill from the first doctor and am not sure how to contest this. I wasn't offered any medical advice, I was not given the service i requested. I'm all about meeting one's financial obligations—I pay my student loans back and my credit card bills are paid in full. But forking money over to a doctor that provided me with nothing more than a guilt trip followed by deception, doesn't seem right. Is there anything I can do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 07:52 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,711 times
Pay him and then write a letter of complaint to the state medical board...

Old 11-06-2012, 01:14 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Was this a walk in clinic or did you make an appointment? I'm a little unclear how you eneded up in an exam room talking to a Dr without anyone knowing beforehand why you were coming and what the apt was about and not telling you they didn't carry that vaccine.

Either way, we pay for office visits regardless of what went down in the office. I agree that a letter of complaint would be a start.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:50 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Was this a walk in clinic or did you make an appointment? I'm a little unclear how you eneded up in an exam room talking to a Dr without anyone knowing beforehand why you were coming and what the apt was about and not telling you they didn't carry that vaccine.

Either way, we pay for office visits regardless of what went down in the office. I agree that a letter of complaint would be a start.
I had made an appointment beforehand and explained what I was coming in for. Since I'd last been to a doctor's office, I had moved, so I was looking for a new PCP. I'd never been to this doctor before.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:30 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Yes, you did received an advice. The doctor discouraged you from getting it.
There is nothing to complain about to State Medical Board.

Maybe he tried to prevent you from this? Remember he has a right to his own opinion.
HPV Vaccine Victim Sues Merck | Gardasil Dangers

Last edited by elnina; 11-06-2012 at 06:39 AM..

Old 11-06-2012, 07:07 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
I went to see a doctor a few months ago to get an HPV vaccine.
They didn't have the vaccine available...
Did you choose this doctor out of thin air?
Did they say they had the vaccine when you made the appointment?
Did they say they would examine and consult and see about the Rx...
or did they say they wold give it simply because you asked for it?

In other words... what did THEY say (not what YOU heard)?

Old 11-06-2012, 07:16 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Did you get a bill for the full amount? Did they not turn anything into insurance? I would think the most you would be on the hook for is the office visit copay which you usually pay at time of service.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:46 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
Eventually the doctor claimed that my insurance wouldn't cover it and they would not order it for me.

I wouldn't pay him.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:50 AM

399 posts, read 705,202 times
Yeah, you have no choice but to pay him since you did see him whether he performed the service or not. Same thing happened to us. Spouse was admitted to hospital than told they couldn't do the surgery cause doc was too tired (which is good) but we had to foot the hospital bill for the few hours he was there. Not fair yeah, not right, yeah, did I have a choice (NO). So the bill is/was paid and I learnt a lesson.

JMHO

Old 11-06-2012, 07:58 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
Quote:
I had made an appointment beforehand and explained what I was coming in for. Since I'd last been to a doctor's office, I had moved, so I was looking for a new PCP. I'd never been to this doctor before.
So let me get this straight? You made an appointment with a doctor, you went to that appointment where you met the doctor and discussed the HPV vaccine, and then you left the appointment because the doctor discouraged you from getting the vaccine?

The doctor provide you a service, giving his medical opinion about getting the vaccine, in an appointment YOU initiated with him. You took time away from the doctor, who could've been meeting with another patient, and you don't want to compensate him for his time because you aren't satisfied with his advice? Of course you have to pay him! Why would you think you wouldn't have to compensate a professional of ANY sort for taking their TIME to meet with you? That's like going to an accountant to get your taxes done and leaving unsatisfied because he couldn't get you a tax refund and then saying you don't have to pay.

There is nothing to report to the medical board. You were provided advice (a service) in exchange for a fee (payment of said service). Just because you don't like the advice doesn't mean you don't have to pay the doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance