Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your retirement strategy?
I have no idea 27 12.16%
Savings/investments/house and I'm on track 105 47.30%
Savings/investment/house but I know I'm behind 37 16.67%
Corporate/gov pension so I don't need to worry 28 12.61%
I can just sell my house & downsize and should be ok 8 3.60%
I may just live abroad in a cheaper place 17 7.66%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 10:16 AM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
If anyone just sits with a calculator and ask themselves how much they need to retire on, it's scary. I would say one needs at $1-1.5 million in cash/assets to retire at age 60-65 and live another 20-25 years. $1 million dollars over 25 years is $40k a year so we are not even talking about living lavishly here. And I'm assuming we cannot rely on the government here. Whatever benefits we get will be insignificant.

Sure some people can save this money but how many really can, especially the way the markets and the world has turned. Some people even retire abroad in Panama and Thailand because they can't afford it. My question is that are you saving for retirement and how do you plan on funding it?
I wonder how you calculate this?

What is the income stream you want to fund starting at age 60-65 - 40K? I think you are way off if you calculate 1-1.5 million. Are you including social security?

If you need to have 40K per year I'm assuming you make about 90K because taxes are about 30% and savings probably another 15% gets you to 40K per year. If your pre retirment income is 90K then your social security benefit is approximately 2000 per month.

So to match 40K per year minus 24K from social security you only need 16K! You can buy an annuity with a withdrawal rate of 6% so you need about 300K in savings not 1-1.5 million.

You need to be 67 to start social security so maybe add another 200K to pay for years 62-67
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 10:29 AM

106,655 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Im assuming he wants an inflation adjusted 40k to add to his social security.

You can get an immeadiate annuity that spins off over 6% at age 67 but its not inflation adjusted . 300k gets you about 1800 a month. Thats 22k a year.

600k will get you about 40k but thats without inflation adjustments.

For safety i would want no less then 1 million if i wanted 40k inflation adjusted from savings .

Old 11-24-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Im assuming he wants an inflation adjusted 40k to add to his social security.

You can get an immeadiate annuity that spins off over 6% at age 67 but its not inflation adjusted . 300k gets you about 1800 a month. Thats 22k a year.

600k will get you about 40k but thats without inflation adjustments.

For safety i would want no less then 1 million if i wanted 40k inflation adjusted from savings .
The life expectancy at age 67 is about 18 years

Inflation protection would only cost you about 20% so 300k would become 360K.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:52 AM

there are better ways to inflation proof. just meeting the cpi index may mean little compared to your actual cost of living.

you really need the ability to exceed that index by a good couple of points long term.

as far as life expectancy age it really depends if your single or married . the life expectancy you need to plan for with 2 horses in the race is alot higher.

the 50% point isnt reached for a 65 year old couple until 87. even 87 is now pretty good odds one of you is going on even longer as thats only the 50% point.

even a single man at 65 has a life expectancy of 82 but thats only the 50% point too.

the important thing to remember is those life expectancy averages are only the 50% mark. thats still pretty good odds 1 out of 2 people will go beyond that point.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:14 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,671,924 times
Yes.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
there are better ways to inflation proof. just meeting the cpi index may mean little compared to your actual cost of living.

you really need the ability to exceed that index by a good couple of points long term.

as far as life expectancy age it really depends if your single or married . the life expectancy you need to plan for with 2 horses in the race is alot higher.

the 50% point isnt reached for a 65 year old couple until 87. even 87 is now pretty good odds one of you is going on even longer as thats only the 50% point.

even a single man at 65 has a life expectancy of 82 but thats only the 50% point too.

the important thing to remember is those life expectancy averages are only the 50% mark. thats still pretty good odds 1 out of 2 people will go beyond that point.
You could buy an annuity that adjusts for inflation.

Under this scenario you have basically 100% protection. You would need savings of 360K I'm not sure what a joint annuity would cost maybe tack on another 20%.

I think this is about understanding the risk and imagining every what if scenario and trying to protect against it means in the end you protect against nothing. You have to consider the likelihood of failure and with an annuity there isn't any. I guess you could imagine nuclear war but then every strategy fails except buying a bunker and moving to Montana.

The point is advice to save more or else is wrong because it fails to measure the risk properly. Sure anything can happen but some strategies are more likely to succeed than others.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:01 AM

the point i was bringing out is the annuities that adjust for inflation dont provide enough slack to really keep up with personal cost of living.

its like cola adjustments dont usually reflect our true cost of living, true cost of living takes in other parameters along with the cpi.

you really do need more then just something that strives to match the cpi ,you need a few points over and above that as a cushion.

a cola adjusted annuity linked to the cpi with no chance of doing any better is cutting things to close in my opinion.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:
the point i was bringing out is the annuities that adjust for inflation dont provide enough slack to really keep up with personal cost of living.

its like cola adjustments dont usually reflect our true cost of living, true cost of living takes in other parameters along with the cpi.

you really do need more then just something that strives to match the cpi ,you need a few points over and above that as a cushion.

a cola adjusted annuity linked to the cpi with no chance of doing any better is cutting things to close in my opinion.
If the annuity offers 3% and you need 4% then buy more annuity.

Also I think the spending rate generally drops as people get older so this sounds like incorrect advice

The larger point is that people on the board overestimate how much they need in retirement

Old 11-25-2012, 06:18 AM

well the problem with buy more annuity is your assuming we had only a set amount of money to put in one which was enough to draw 40k or so..

its still not a good eiher to commit such a large percentage of your money to an inurance company.

they can and do fail and although you may be covered up to a limit that only applys to principal you put in.

it may or may not be true spending drops as we age. money will always find a use and a home.

while no question spending on ourselves drops, the fact is spending on others can take up the slack.

doing for our grand children or children with any extra money seems to be the natural course of events. i know as we age we hope to do more and more for our grand kids when we are alive.

you still cant commit all your money anyway to the annuity as expenses dont care about your budget. any major expense will always cost far more then you are prepared to handle from income alone.

the fact is you need a few years expenses on the side tucked away so that drives up the amount you need to save as well.

think about this ,far fewer retirements fail because folks over estimated what they needed. the retirement graveyard is filled with those who failed because they under estimated.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
well the problem with buy more annuity is your assuming we had only a set amount of money to put in one which was enough to draw 40k or so..

its still not a good eiher to commit such a large percentage of your money to an inurance company.

they can and do fail and although you may be covered up to a limit that only applys to principal you put in.

it may or may not be true spending drops as we age. money will always find a use and a home.

while no question spending on ourselves drop the fact is spending on others can take up the slack.

doing for our grand children or children with any extra money seems to be the natural course of events.
What is the probability of failure? Your advice doesn't make any sense if you don't include the likelihood.

This is one piece of advice that everyone touts but there is zero evidence backing it up.

How many insurance companies have failed to pay a life insurance or annuity claim?

I think the answer is zero. But anyway one could fail sure.

You just don't need 1.5 million dollars to generate 16K in retirement savings

I also don't agree that there are lots of people who saved too little. I think the opposite is true most hoard their money scared to spend a penny because catastrophe could strike. They follow a 4% or 3% rule that doesn't make any sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance