Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 04:08 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gritsmassboy View Post
yeah but what if someone wants to stay clean?
What's that got to do with cutting your hair???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 04:29 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
yeah but what if someone wants to stay clean?
What's a haircut got to do with cleanliness? Women love to cut hair. Find a girl friend who will cut it for free. I haven't paid for a haircut in 40 years. I've saved $40,000.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:30 PM

46 posts, read 143,343 times
clean cut

Old 11-18-2012, 04:38 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Too much for me. But for a movie star or prominent politician who is always out in public, it might be reasonable.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:38 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
$20 a week 52 weeks a year
30+ years ago my barber retired. I promptly went out and bought a Wahl home haircutting kit.

From that moment on my wife was our barber clipping all four of our sons hair as well as mine. The boys are all grown now and I need a cut about once every 2>3 weeks which my wife still does.

To be fair some of the money we save always went to my wife's hair dresser to keep my wife as beautiful as ever at no additional cost to the family. It's a win win for the whole family!! I have no idea how much money we saved over the years but I know that it was enough to pay for many things we needed without straining our budget!

I really like the part where I can kiss the barber when she's done with my hair!

So buy a good clipper set , take good care of it , oil the blades (3 in 1 oil) after every use and start saving some real money!!
http://wahl.factoryoutletstore.com/c...FcU-MgodQx4A1w

Old 11-18-2012, 04:43 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
What's that got to do with cutting your hair???
It is a mental condition. Some people associate longer hair on men with dirt for some reason.

My parents and my grandparents were all like that. Any man with hair longer than about 2 inches was 'filthy' and sinning. 'Long' hair [regardless of bathing and shampoo] on a male is rebuking God and dirty in some context outside of physical dirt.

Of course none of this applies to females.

I was confronted with people bearing this mental condition many times as a teenager, and through-out my career.

I thought it was humorous since I was career military and more than conformed to Navy Regs grooming standards. But until each of them died, by grandparents and parents all insisted that 'long' hair on a male is a sign of sin and filth.

It has no bearing to society standards or the physical presence of dirt.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:46 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
It is a mental condition. Some people associate longer hair on men with dirt for some reason.

My parents and my grandparents were all like that. Any man with hair longer than about 2 inches was 'filthy' and sinning. 'Long' hair [regardless of bathing and shampoo] on a male is rebuking God and dirty in some context outside of physical dirt.
I get a giggle out of folks that think long hair is "dirty". Ever see a picture of Jesus with a flat top or skinned head? Many, many famous men had long hair so these people are dumb bigots.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:49 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times
Quote:
why you don't wanna get one every week and just spend the extra $820 to stay looking good?
Getting a haircut every week is an unnecessary expense, I'm not John Edwards. I'd rather spend $820 on eating out, boating, fun activities, etc. I look good without needing expensive or weekly haircuts; I've never been that superficial I guess.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:54 PM

46 posts, read 143,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
30+ years ago my barber retired. I promptly went out and bought a Wahl home haircutting kit.

From that moment on my wife was our barber clipping all four of our sons hair as well as mine. The boys are all grown now and I need a cut about once every 2>3 weeks which my wife still does.

To be fair some of the money we save always went to my wife's hair dresser to keep my wife as beautiful as ever at no additional cost to the family. It's a win win for the whole family!! I have no idea how much money we saved over the years but I know that it was enough to pay for many things we needed without straining our budget!

I really like the part where I can kiss the barber when she's done with my hair!

So buy a good clipper set , take good care of it , oil the blades (3 in 1 oil) after every use and start saving some real money!!
Wahl Hair Clippers
dude if you get a cut every 2 weeks in 4 years you would only save $2,000 whats the point?

Old 11-18-2012, 04:54 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
I get a giggle out of folks that think long hair is "dirty". Ever see a picture of Jesus with a flat top or skinned head? Many, many famous men had long hair so these people are dumb bigots.
I know. My family tree was filled with dumb bigots
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance