Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 11:47 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelStraker View Post
He was probably financing a dead-beat child who refused to leave the basement.
Grandchild, more likely. Generations spread by 30 years, 84 year old, child 54 year old, with 24 year old that just graduated college and came back home. (All give or take a few years)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 12:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,122 times
Thanks for your many comments and suggestions. As I said, I keep a bank account in the US so I can pay my medical insurance (such as it is) plus the one cc that I have left that could be used for an air ticket back to the US in case of emergency. I cannot get medical insurace where I am because of my age, or which would be prohibitive in price through some European company. (Cheapest I found was $599 a month with a $5000 dollar deductible and maximum of $2000 in coverage - again due to my age.!) It's another topic but many still feel medicare should pay for treatment to qualified overseas hospitals, especially since in most cases it is about a tenth of the cost in the US. After all, I did pay into it from age 14 through my last year of work at 80. I meant ss and then when they added medicare, I guess in the 60's somewhere.

I did have my ss sent over here directly but I had to return to the US for several months for checkup/treatment and needed the funds while there, so had to have it sent back to the US bank. If you have your money sent to a foreign bank, you must collect it in person with your passport (no atm cards etc.,) which ensures the US government it is you collecting it and not some other person for years after you pass on..........makes sense!

Again Thanks to you all!

Old 08-04-2014, 03:09 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
The OP has not been here since this post - ~1.5 years ago. He probably has it figured out!
I have to be honest, figuring it out is probably the second most likely scenario.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:23 PM

213 posts, read 237,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senior12 View Post
I am a 86 yo senior who was still working till 2 yrs ago when i lost my job and now have 32,000$ in credit card debt eating me alive . i now cannot keep up my payments on the credit cards from what is left of my savings and social security. i live in a retirement home with association fees that i need to pay with nothing left over to pay off the cc debt . what should i do ? File bankruptcy?
Don't worry about it they can't come after you if you don't have anything, just ignore them. Bsnruptcy would leave you in the same spot that you are currently. Except you have to pay a lawyer and will incur other cost. Just pay your normal bills and live your life

Old 01-29-2015, 09:30 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
The problem with debt is the loans,mortgages and credit cards are not usually owned by the bank.

They sell it to investors,pension funds ,endowments etc and to them these are very real losses when someone defaults.

The banks just do the loan servicing and collections but may not be owed a penny.

Then if they hire defaulters, they can get back their traumatic losses. Win-Win.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:38 AM

6 posts, read 16,858 times
no assets, thanks to many layoffs, save the USA from Commies and get laid off -

pension and ssa and IRA are protected. so with old cars, 2006 and 2012,

do not have jewelry, paintings, investments.

should have filed 2 years ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance