Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 08:07 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,016,325 times

Advertisements

Depends on the interest rate.

Around 3%, make just the payment, and put the rest of your money elsewhere.

10%... that's a different story.

So lower interest rate longer loan. Higher interest rate, shorter loan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 09:05 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,525 times
100% of foreclosures occur with homes that are mortgaged.

Can't say the same of homes owned "free and clear". Peace of mind, is priceless.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:10 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
100% of foreclosures occur with homes that are mortgaged.
I agree with the sentiment, but technically this isn't true. Some homes are foreclosed on due to liens placed on them for reasons other than a mortgage such as taxes or judgements.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I agree with the sentiment, but technically this isn't true. Some homes are foreclosed on due to liens placed on them for reasons other than a mortgage such as taxes or judgements.
That's true, but most foreclosures can be initiated after one failed payment. Tax liens are a bit more cumbersome to execute foreclosures, it's not a fast process and it's far easier to paydown a $3K loan as opposed to a $100K+ mortgage when you have no job - you can pawn items, borrow from family/friends, work part-time, sell old gold, etc.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:00 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggwish View Post
What are people's thoughts about the 15 year mortgage vs. 30 year mortgage. I feel a 30 year mortgage is the biggest scam in the world. First, you are crippled by the mortgage for 30 years just to have lower payments. At, least in 15 years you could be debt free.

Also, how much should I borrow. I want to borrow no more than $100K. I feel mortgage people are just loan shoarks in disguise. Why should I give someone all my money.

Anyone buy a house with just cash?

Yep, we took a 30 year mortgage. We pay it as a 15 year, but if my wife wants to quit work to stay at home with our kids, we won't have to refinance our 15 year into a 30 to be able to do it.

30 year mortages are just fine, especially if you pretend it's a 15 year

Old 12-06-2012, 12:09 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
That's true, but most foreclosures can be initiated after one failed payment. Tax liens are a bit more cumbersome to execute foreclosures, it's not a fast process and it's far easier to paydown a $3K loan as opposed to a $100K+ mortgage when you have no job - you can pawn items, borrow from family/friends, work part-time, sell old gold, etc.
Tax liens are just one example, though. Another common one is a $200K lien for an unpaid hospital bill on a $50K house, that's a little harder to swallow. Of course at that point an individual doesn't have much choice but bankruptcy anyway, so it's probably a moot point.

I would disagree that the process is more cumbersome, though. You don have to wait a certain period of time before starting foreclosure proceedings (18 months in Iowa), but after that it's really just a matter of sending a couple of certified letters.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:31 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post

Anyway, I guess I'll be the oddball in the thread and say that my wife and I did a 20 year mortgage with our new house last year.
We did a 20 year mortgage too ... back in the day.
Paid it off in 7.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Tax liens are just one example, though. Another common one is a $200K lien for an unpaid hospital bill on a $50K house, that's a little harder to swallow. Of course at that point an individual doesn't have much choice but bankruptcy anyway, so it's probably a moot point.

I would disagree that the process is more cumbersome, though. You don have to wait a certain period of time before starting foreclosure proceedings (18 months in Iowa), but after that it's really just a matter of sending a couple of certified letters.
Try foreclosing in NJ - takes an average of 3 years. Have fun, plus only under limited circumstances can a lien force the sale of the home. You can't pay your bills with a lien.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:40 PM

17,301 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I don't always buy the argument of "take a smaller payment with the 30 year mortgage and invest the difference." How many Americans actually do that?

Same argument can be used for term insurance vs. whole life.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:43 PM

389 posts, read 1,218,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggwish View Post
What are people's thoughts about the 15 year mortgage vs. 30 year mortgage. I feel a 30 year mortgage is the biggest scam in the world. First, you are crippled by the mortgage for 30 years just to have lower payments. At, least in 15 years you could be debt free.

Also, how much should I borrow. I want to borrow no more than $100K. I feel mortgage people are just loan shoarks in disguise. Why should I give someone all my money.

Anyone buy a house with just cash?
I usually go for the 15 year mortgages because they have lower rates. I have also had about three variable rate loans and although they are risky it depends on how long one intends to live there. However with these historic rates I wouldn't do that now under any circumstances.

The advantage of 30 year loans is that you will have lower payments and can simply pay additional principle to reduce the time you will be paying on the loan. You can use "Bankrate" to calculate the savings.

If payments are not important to your budget go for the 15 year rate.

Actually the 30, 15, or 20 year loans are really meaningless anyway. No one (well almost no one) lives in one place that long today. It is basically an amortization method for stretching out the payments. I think the average time one stays in one house used to be seven years. Now I was recently told it was as low as 3-4 years. I'm not sure I believe that but it isn't long anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance