Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 11:31 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times

Advertisements

I don't like either one, either, for most of the reasons listed.

It's a pretentious title, but I've been recommending Daniel Solin's "The Smartest Money Book You'll Ever Read" to people who are ready for his advice. He's not an entertainer! And don't look for a bunch of case histories to illustrate his concepts, but he has a clear, slightly technical style, and I certainly see more common sense in one of his chapters than ten of the other authors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 07:57 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,697 times
You don't mind if they need a guru because they work for you and are handling others' money. But honestly, if you knew your FA could not 'multi-task' money, would you really want this person handling your life savings? Maybe you are ok with that. I, on the other, absolutely would not. That would be like hiring an accountant whose own return gets audited by the IRS every year. I am an aggressive investor, but that is a level of risk even I am unwilling to take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I didn't read through it all so I didn't catch who is an advisor who also needs Dave Ramsey. I oversee many advisors and I wouldn't have a problem if one of them needed the total money makeover at some point in their life to get on track. I also wouldn't mind if they kept up with Dave or Suzie unless that was their only source of information. What we deal with normally is far more advance stuff than either of these put out and some of their stuff isn't the best or sometimes it's wrong. That said they to provide information that is valuable to the majority of Americans.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:47 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
You don't mind if they need a guru because they work for you and are handling others' money. But honestly, if you knew your FA could not 'multi-task' money, would you really want this person handling your life savings? Maybe you are ok with that. I, on the other, absolutely would not. That would be like hiring an accountant whose own return gets audited by the IRS every year. I am an aggressive investor, but that is a level of risk even I am unwilling to take.

I think you misunderstood what I posted. Nothing I said was remotely close to an accountant being personally audited every year. Nowhere did I mention anything about failing to " multitask" money or currently needing a guru.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:49 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
brother dave does not say anything that was not common place speech 50 years ago.
dave is not different-- he did not change, we did.
the other gal is good but dave cuts to the chase.
americans, in 50 years, have come to accept debt as normal. debt, my friend, is slavery.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:23 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
i find my best education comes from consuelo mack. she has some of the smartest people on her show with fabulous view points and information.

it is geared for succesful people though ,not financial misfits committing financial suicide like suzy's show.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:43 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Try Bob Brinker. Just common sense investing...no showboating or grandstanding. Bob Brinker's Land of Critical Mass : bobbrinker.com Marketimer © Moneytalk Bob Brinker
Yep. My financial decisions were made from listening to a radio talk show by this gentleman. And I'm the better for it. My wife doesn't quite understand though.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:53 AM

i suggest she learn. financial ignorance in wives can be a big issue. they traditionally leave it to the husband and when he is gone they are lost and get taken advantage of by so called planners.

we have these discussions all the time on retirement forums. while men are all for taking ss at 62 and investing the money it is a different story when their wives are left alone.

instead of a safe secure consistant higher ss payment the surviving wife with zero knowledge gets left holding the bag to fend for herself in the investment world.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:58 AM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,697 times
Men are little better. That statement about SS proves it. I really doubt the majority of people who invest that money do better than the return they would get by taking SS later. People are generally lousy investors, men included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i suggest she learn. financial ignorance in wives can be a big issue. they traditionally leave it to the husband and when he is gone they are lost and get taken advantage of by so called planners.

we have these discussions all the time on retirement forums. while men are all for taking ss at 62 and investing the money it is a different story when their wives are left alone.

instead of a safe secure consistant higher ss payment the surviving wife with zero knowledge gets left holding the bag to fend for herself in the investment world.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:11 AM

Ain't that the truth,and data from morningstar and ibbotson proves it.

Before i met my wife she was a widow. With no knowledge at all about financial matters she trusted the financial guy at the bank and he devastated her in dot.coms.

Today she now learned enough to handle things with or without me.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:26 PM

283 posts, read 349,814 times
neither is close to good or optimal
ramsy's advice is helpful if you're a complete financial idiot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance