Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2018, 04:59 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,325,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Someone talked about folks who take frequent vacations. That's a good indicator but it's no sure thing. Several folks have sold all their stuff, created blogs or other websites, and live and travel the world very cheaply.
While it's true with what you said, many folks who take frequent vacations trying to keep up with the Jones, also can max out their credit cards and can be in extreme debt while globe trotting!

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, you really want to know if someone is rich or not, ask them if you can look at their tax returns and see all of their other assets and investment records. That will paint a pretty good picture, of course people could have a huge illegal source of income (drug dealing, etc.) that has little to no paper trail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 10:21 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yeah, but you're already upper middle class. Most people around the median income level aren't working jobs where they can rack up points from business trips.
No, but anybody with a strong credit rating can game airline credit cards for free tickets. I can get to Europe for 60,000 FT points. Pretty much every airline credit card promotion is 50,000 miles and the card is free for the first year. You usually have to push $3K through the card in 3 months. That leaves 7,000 points you have to get for a free ticket to Europe.

I used to do Chile summer ski trips on American that way. They had an off peak South America deal that was only 35,000 miles. I've never flown American much. I use those points now for British Airways flights to London-Heathrow. Reminds me. I'm down to 155k AAdvantage points. I need to churn their Citi AAdvantage card again.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
You can't pick out the rich person flying in economy class, but the people riding on a first class international flight, probably aren't doing too bad.
Most people flying business class sleeper seats on international flights are on expense account. The elite frequent flyers on those business class fares get bumped up to first class. There aren't many people actually paying full price out of their own pocket in the front of the plane. Those people are usually making 6-figures but most aren't 'rich' the way this thread is talking about it. They're 5%ers and 10%ers.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:06 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
No, but anybody with a strong credit rating can game airline credit cards for free tickets. I can get to Europe for 60,000 FT points. Pretty much every airline credit card promotion is 50,000 miles and the card is free for the first year. You usually have to push $3K through the card in 3 months. That leaves 7,000 points you have to get for a free ticket to Europe.

I used to do Chile summer ski trips on American that way. They had an off peak South America deal that was only 35,000 miles. I've never flown American much. I use those points now for British Airways flights to London-Heathrow. Reminds me. I'm down to 155k AAdvantage points. I need to churn their Citi AAdvantage card again.
Maybe it's easy for you to spend $3k in 3 months on a credit card, but not so easy for me. I normally have to buy grocery store gift cards for myself to get to that amount.

Nonetheless, you make some valid points that I will consider looking into.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:53 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
They speak good English, no matter what country they are from. In America or UK, the rich speak better English. In other parts of the world, the rich have been sent to international schools, and then to college in the USA or UK.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
They speak good English, no matter what country they are from. In America or UK, the rich speak better English. In other parts of the world, the rich have been sent to international schools, and then to college in the USA or UK.
Speaking "newscaster English" with good grammar doesn't mean you're rich. However, your odds of becoming rich are lower if you speak a local working class dialect or an ethnic dialect.

I can think of a pretty long list of engineers I've encountered in my career who are multi-millionaires but speak with thick accents and make all kinds of grammatical errors.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:54 AM

3,319 posts, read 1,814,733 times
Sighh. Review their tax returns.

GEEZUZ. This is a five year old thread started by a two-year old.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:43 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post

GEEZUZ. This is a five year old thread started by a two-year old.
so he is 7 now... he's rich with his allowances

Old 03-30-2018, 09:25 AM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Who is going to let you view their tax returns?

“Excuse me sir, I want to know if you’re rich, can you pull out your tax returns real quick?”

Old 03-30-2018, 01:27 PM
fzx

399 posts, read 511,580 times
Any summary? the tread is way too long to read.

I guess second generation is easier to spot because they have good education, expensive taste, and better opportunities to see new things and world. Skin complexion and hands should be telling too. Trophy wife. Kids education, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance