Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 08:01 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times

Advertisements

There are some income levels at which it's more or less impossible to become a millionaire, and there are other income levels at which it is easy to become a millionaire.

What's the minimum income level needed to make becoming a millionaire feasible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 08:31 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,164,627 times
This is an EXTREMELY open ended question. You need to nail down more specifics before any one can even begin to explore the possibilities.

Are you trying to reach a million by a certain age? Are you talking about a million dollars in cash, or the ability to make an income of one million per year? Would you/this person have children, what are housing costs, transportation costs, and any other costs of living?

Try being specific and I think you'll be getting more hits.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:43 AM

22,556 posts, read 47,614,734 times
I was think along the same lines, lmw36!

OP, how do you define millionaire?
Someone who makes a million a year?
Someone who has a million in investments?
Other?

Lower income people have become millionaires. I am not sure annual income is a good indicator.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:46 AM

335 posts, read 334,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
There are some income levels at which it's more or less impossible to become a millionaire, and there are other income levels at which it is easy to become a millionaire.

What's the minimum income level needed to make becoming a millionaire feasible?
First decide what age you want to become a millionaire. Then calculate how many years from now is that (N). Divide one million by N.

If you were an actuary, you could also add in an assumed inflation rate on your present spending and make a few adjustments, but since your annual spending is probably much smaller than a million, the difference wouldn't amount to more than a percent or so.

By the way, what you appear to have in mind is not the way to become a millionaire. One does get there this way sometimes, but far better to start a business or marry a millionaire.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:59 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
It's doable on $40K a year (below average yearly salary) if you:

1) Save at least $1000 a month and invest it in a safe mutual fund averaging 10% a year.

2) Your salary increases at the rate of inflation and so does your contributions.

3) Don't mind waiting till you're over 60 to be a millionaire (in 2012 dollars.)

Personally, I may be frugal but I don't wish to save my money till the end like that. If this sounds too bleak, then I'd suggest the following:

1) Work on making more money.

2) Do something enjoyable once in a while as long as it won't break your bank.

3) But still continue to be frugal, spending less money on meaningless stuff and more on meaningful experiences.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:05 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
It's all in how you use money to achieve your goals ...

You must decide what you must have for necessities and what is discretionary income ...

Then you've got to figure out how to put that discretionary income to work for you.

As well, you must pursue maximizing your income potential at your work.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:16 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
Question should be based on savings levels, not income levels.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:25 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,286,774 times
For a thoughtful answer to this question, see: "The Ages of the Investor," by William J. Bernstein.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:16 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,367 times
You can be a millionaire at any income level. You just need the time to get there.

Some may need few generations and they would have to explain for their great grand kids the goal and if they stick to it, they will reach the goal one day, .

Old 12-15-2012, 05:18 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
This is an EXTREMELY open ended question. You need to nail down more specifics before any one can even begin to explore the possibilities.

Are you trying to reach a million by a certain age? Are you talking about a million dollars in cash, or the ability to make an income of one million per year? Would you/this person have children, what are housing costs, transportation costs, and any other costs of living?

Try being specific and I think you'll be getting more hits.

Good questions. I'm thinking of millionaire in the Millionaire Next Door sense, which is having a net worth of $1 million (and I think the author excludes home equity from the required million).

Let's say by age 50, and I'm thinking of an average sustained annual income, as opposed to a sports pro who makes a ton of money for 5 or 10 years and that's it.

Say a person with median housing expenses (not unusually high or low) and financially undistracted by children (e.g. without children or if with children, with a spouse having substantial income)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance