Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 11:24 AM

344 posts, read 427,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
I think I have an addiction. It's been barely 3 years since I started building my credit. The first card I got only had a $200 limit. Since then I've opened more than 20 credit cards and trade lines with a combined limit of more than $70, 000 in unsecured credit today. Let me give you a little background into how it got to this:

Obtaining credit has always been a dream of mine. The luxury and convenience of having purchasing power beyond what I can afford always seem appealing to me. I know you must be thinking I'm a bankruptcy case waiting to happen, but that couldn't be farther from the truth. I'm actually pretty conservative when it comes on to spending. My present credit utilization ratio is around 5%. Consequently I've managed to maintain good to excellent credit scores even with all these cards. I guess you can say I'm a hoarder of credit. I enjoy the process of obtaining credit. It's like a game to me and I actually get a little thrill out of it.

The remarkable thing is that I am still young on my credit journey. I have yet to apply for a car loan or a mortgage. I plan to get a car next year. By the time I'm done on this journey, I could see myself having close to $1 million in total credit instruments. I guess this would be a nice consolation if I don't manage to become a millionaire in real life.

Give me your judgements in comments.
You are beyond weird. You said in one paragraph that you are conservative with your open credit. In another paragraph you mentioned your goal is to have $1 million in credit instruments for a consolation if you dont make $1 million.......Sorry, that is just weird....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 12:07 PM

223 posts, read 757,658 times
I don't understand why everybody is so hard on the OP.... Yes, *many* folks don't have self-control and get into debt quickly, but I think if you are smart enough, you can use it to your advantage...

Somebody else mentioned 5% cashback on gas, groceries etc... You can also play the balance transfer game.. We have about $150k available to us in 17 credit card lines, and converted a $30k secured loan @ 7.5% into an unsecured loan with an effective interest rate of about 3% (if you take into balance transfer fees...) Other than the cards that are currently in use by the balance transfer we live within our means and pay other credit card balances in full every month...

Paperless billing + software like Quicken or Mint.com makes it easy to keep track of your account

Old 12-21-2012, 12:58 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,459,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandre View Post
I don't understand why everybody is so hard on the OP....
Read what proverbs23and7 wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by proverbs23and7 View Post
You are beyond weird. You said in one paragraph that you are conservative with your open credit. In another paragraph you mentioned your goal is to have $1 million in credit instruments for a consolation if you dont make $1 million.......Sorry, that is just weird....

Old 12-26-2012, 09:16 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,691,367 times
I think you are insane.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:32 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
I agree with the travel credit card churner upthread- there can be good reasons to have a lot of different cards if you can figure out how to maximize sign-up bonuses on new cards (which can have a value of several hundred to a few thousand dollars) and all the while pay balances in full every month.

If you're organized enough to swing a European vacation or Tahitian honeymoon on those kinds of card bonuses while not carrying a balance anywhere, might as well take advantage of those options. Example- there's a pretty common Priority Club (Holiday Inn and related) Visa offer out there that will give you 80K Priority Club points (value $500-$1000 or more) if you use it for $1,000 of purchases in the first three months (so groceries and gas) and they waive the annual fee the first year.

If you can use those points for their cheap Point Break redemption options, you can get 16 free hotel nights for a little bit of work, and then just using the card for things you'd spend money on anyways. Then when you get home from the grocery store, pay off that amount by using your online bill pay software of choice.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:34 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,782,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Op, if you want to feel powerful, get an American Express card.
No limit.
Hmm I have a 2k limit on my American Express card when I signed up for it recently, which suprised me a little, I have 15k limit on another card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
3. Concentrate on bringing your total $3500 credit card balance to zero.
Consider joining a credit union, I recently converted 20k in credit card debit to a 5 year unsecured loan from the credit union at 6.5% interest. The loan payment is less then the minimum payment on the credit cards.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:20 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
I don't understand. I've had credit since I turned 18 and got a CC from my bank. I don't understand why someone would dream of having credit, and I don't understand what is to be gained by having an extensive amount of credit. I actually don't have any idea how much credit I actually have because I never get anywhere near the limit. When you go to apply for a home lone, having that much open credit could hurt you. Back when we bought our first house we were advised to close all but a couple cards. I do think you have some kind of strange addiction.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:10 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
Quote:
I think I have an addiction. It's been barely 3 years since I started building my credit. The first card I got only had a $200 limit. Since then I've opened more than 20 credit cards and trade lines with a combined limit of more than $70, 000 in unsecured credit today. Let me give you a little background into how it got to this:

Obtaining credit has always been a dream of mine. The luxury and convenience of having purchasing power beyond what I can afford always seem appealing to me. I know you must be thinking I'm a bankruptcy case waiting to happen, but that couldn't be farther from the truth. I'm actually pretty conservative when it comes on to spending. My present credit utilization ratio is around 5%. Consequently I've managed to maintain good to excellent credit scores even with all these cards. I guess you can say I'm a hoarder of credit. I enjoy the process of obtaining credit. It's like a game to me and I actually get a little thrill out of it.

The remarkable thing is that I am still young on my credit journey. I have yet to apply for a car loan or a mortgage. I plan to get a car next year. By the time I'm done on this journey, I could see myself having close to $1 million in total credit instruments. I guess this would be a nice consolation if I don't manage to become a millionaire in real life.

As long as you don't actually use the credit, you should be OK. Can you trust yourself not to?

Old 01-01-2013, 04:41 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I don't understand. I've had credit since I turned 18 and got a CC from my bank. I don't understand why someone would dream of having credit, and I don't understand what is to be gained by having an extensive amount of credit. I actually don't have any idea how much credit I actually have because I never get anywhere near the limit. When you go to apply for a home lone, having that much open credit could hurt you. Back when we bought our first house we were advised to close all but a couple cards. I do think you have some kind of strange addiction.
gah! loan!

Old 12-15-2016, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 372 times
Quote:

I have 20 credit card for 105k 16 with a zero balance 4 with 9k charged furniture ect. I have not paid a penny of interest in over 3 years the 9k charged is all no interest till 2018... I too get a thrill from having so much buying power ........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance