Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 11:47 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,102,010 times

Advertisements

Money is very important to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 12:03 PM

79 posts, read 286,054 times
Money is important as one of the tools to obtain life goals.

There's money factors in everything, even relationships; personal integrity, and one's future progenies.

Money affords the lifestyle to be beyond meeting basic life necessities of food, shelter and clothing.

The luxuries money brings to one's life provides quality in one's life.

So yes, money is important but it is just one of the tools to achieve life goals.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:21 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
I don't care about money, unfortunately everyone else believes that money makes the world go around, so I'm forced to make use of it.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:13 AM

45 posts, read 183,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I see no correlation between wealth and contribution to society. If anything, there's probably a negative correlation.

Teachers, police, firemen all make less than hedgefund managers... and contribute more to the future and sustainability of this nation.
Well, this is true! On the other coin, Bill Gates did contribute a lot to the society!

Old 10-18-2007, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysie_Marnix View Post
Money is important as one of the tools to obtain life goals.

There's money factors in everything, even relationships; personal integrity, and one's future progenies.

Money affords the lifestyle to be beyond meeting basic life necessities of food, shelter and clothing.

The luxuries money brings to one's life provides quality in one's life.

So yes, money is important but it is just one of the tools to achieve life goals.
Yeah! you said it right! Money is one of the tools to achieve life goals!

Old 10-18-2007, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Money is merely pieces of paper that are traded for goods and services - some necessities, some luxuries.

Essentially, as long as my bills are paid - I'm happy and comfortable. Treating myself to a super luxury is so much more rewarding than getting them all of the time. At least, that's what I was taught and will teach my daughter.

There is a lot more to life than amassing wealth. Like, instead of buying $100 Jeans, I can take a $2 pair of thrift store jeans and make them into something personal and unique. Psh, I'd rather tear my own holes into my jeans ((through falling..)) rather than buying them pre-tattered.
Cool, Kuharai, I do agreed that life should be full of experiences, rather than buying other people experiences! (through falling.........) ! It won't sustain!!

Old 10-18-2007, 01:42 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times
It is the most important thing to me. Whenever I am in bad times I think of how good I am at saving money and making good use of my funds. I don't really spend on stupid things like designer clothes, fancy cars, big houses and the such. I always try to find the cheapest way to buy stuff if I HAVE to. However, that is not to say that I love money. I only place it as my highest priority because I know that if I make sacrafices now it will pay off later on hopefully at least. I strongly believe that the borrower is slave to the lender and I try to avoid going in debt like the pleague.

My other priority is my education which I am currently studying accounting.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:38 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,993,816 times
I only pray I have enough money to keep my son from working in industrial construction like me and my Father and Grandfather.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:27 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,411,847 times
This is quite a huge question when you think about it, I've worked all my life for retirement knowing that one day I can stop working and have a paycheck still coming in.

Surviving is a big issue with me, I'm not real materialistic but I do like to eat, sleep and be happy and it seems to me that money allows for survival. If you don't have your own money then you are using sombody else's for your survival. So yeah it's pretty important in my books.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:42 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
It depends.

When I was 23, I made quite enough money and then some for the way I wanted to live (and worked in public TV). I also was quite young-woman depressed, and remember thinking of the Beatles line, "Give you everything I've got for a little peace of mind." However, even then, being poorer wouldn't have helped much. My income allowed me to live alone, drive a safe car, have a good studio apartment, and if I had known what kind of treatment might have been available for depression, I could have paid for it.
These many years later, I see money as buying me some control over life circumstances and some protection from problems/other people. If you need a lawyer (as I once did) it's $1,000, no matter how you feel about money. Now I can afford a house so when I come home from my draining job (that job where I help people!), I have control over my environment. I don't have to cooperate with anyone, I can make independent financial decisions about my home environment, I can afford to make it beautiful/quiet or whatever I want. (Currently full of artwork and rescue dogs).
I also personally find it important to be able to donate what is, for me, a fair amount of money to those causes I care about, but lack the skills or financial stability to work for them. (I figure, I should do what I can do to be paid enough to give them money to do what they do well).
I like being able to pick up the check for a friend who is down on his fortunes.
I like being able to buy helpful services- chiropractor, acupuncture, vet, house/car repairs. I like the safety of a reliable car when I go to work at night.
The last thing I think of is "stuff." I do think people who gauge themselves or others by stuff are frankly pathetic- suckered by advertising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance