Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 06:07 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,893,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You can't know this until you address the issue with the collection agency and try to work something out with them. Don't you understand the serious long term ramifications of just ignoring the problem? Go back and re-read my previous post and that which Ariadne wrote. Those are the facts, whether you like them or not.

There is nothing to work out if my account has 0 dollars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 06:22 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,562,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
There is nothing to work out if my account has 0 dollars
I'm sorry that for some reason you either don't seem to understand or don't want to. A year from now you'll be coming onto a forum wondering how and why your employer is garnishing your wages. Nothing else can be said.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:24 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,616,520 times
Quote:
There is no payment arrangement because there is no money to pay them, the end
No, that is not the end, but please stick your head back in the sand.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:25 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,893,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
No, that is not the end, but please stick your head back in the sand.

If the account is empty it has to be the end.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by around1999 View Post
again you have to have a house and money in the bank to think that way. i totally understand what your saying but some people don't think that way.
I'm not sure what you mean. This has nothing to do with "thinking this way", it's simply an explanation of how the legal system works where debts are concerned. If you have debts and you fail to make arrangements to pay them, the court system will provide the remedy. Your wages will be legally garnished and liens will be placed on your assets. If you're not working at the time the judgement is made, the garnishment order will sit there until you are working and will then be automatically executed. If you have no assets then obviously there will be no lien attachments.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:36 PM

113 posts, read 392,890 times
Quote:
No arrangement can be made if there is no money to be sent.
I'm so sorry to read you are at this point. Please take some sincere advice. Quickly go and close out any and all checking or savings accounts you have. Trust me, a collection agency will wipe you clean before you blink if you honestly just sit back and think since there is no communication nothing can be done. Obviously you can't afford any payments but if you've got a penny in a checking account and they get a default judgement on you within hours, or days they can get an order to seize every account in your name. Legally they can't take unemployment benefits. However, the courts have no clue what portion of an account is unemployment and only after it's been frozen and you've realized it then you would go to court and have to prove that amount is from unemployment and they'd then have to release it. If you aren't talking to collections at least keep your money safe and keep it in cash for now. The advice to file bankruptcy is the best at this point although the cost presents a new burden. I don't know if you believe in God and trust me when I say I'm very angry with him right now but I want you to know I'm praying for you. I live in daily fear of what is to come in the future and when I read comments like yours I stop and realize there are so many of us dealing with this. Be strong. I don't know what an extension is going to do for me personally. If the job offer i have for january falls through I'm wondering if a new extension won't include those of us who are still on regular benefits and what they will provide is a continued extension for those already on tiers 1,2, and 3.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:43 PM

234 posts, read 685,744 times
your very logical and correct but i think you have to understand people who never had nothing to be taken don't worry about things like that.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean. This has nothing to do with "thinking this way", it's simply an explanation of how the legal system works where debts are concerned. If you have debts and you fail to make arrangements to pay them, the court system will provide the remedy. Your wages will be legally garnished and liens will be placed on your assets. If you're not working at the time the judgement is made, the garnishment order will sit there until you are working and will then be automatically executed. If you have no assets then obviously there will be no lien attachments.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:49 PM

113 posts, read 392,890 times
Quote:
Agree. A judgement will still haunt the individual regardless of current assets or accounts. The shock would be garnishment in wages for basically eternity with huge bills due. Not to mention these days with employers just looking ( in my opinion ) for a reason to thumb their nose up at a potential new employee may consider the new worker unreliable and irresponsible and decide not to hire them. A wage garnishment judgement is a huge stain to overcome. If i were at this point i'd find my avenue to file for bankruptcy.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by around1999 View Post
your very logical and correct but i think you have to understand people who never had nothing to be taken don't worry about things like that.
The only point I'm making is that if you're in this situation you can't afford NOT to enter into a dialogue with the collection agency. You may be down and out right now and obviously there is nothing you can do to address the debt. However, if you talk to the collection agency they will work with you. If you DON'T talk to them, the court process will proceed exactly as has been described. Just when you start to get on your feet and see some light at the end of the tunnel and some breathing room, as soon as you get that first pay cheque the garnishment will commence. Plus your credit rating will be trashed and for most people this is a real problem which has far reaching effects.

What is the better option? Stick your head in the sand and ignore it all only to suffer dire consequences later on, or man up and communicate sensibly in order to preserve your integrity? Seems a pretty simple choice to me.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic_me View Post
If i were at this point i'd find my avenue to file for bankruptcy.
All I'd add to this is that many people don't understand that filing bankruptcy isn't a simple process either - is in fact very complicated and isn't granted to everyone who applies for it. Many have the misconception that a simple stroke of the pen just whisks away the debt and you just start all over again. It doesn't work like that at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance