Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 10:47 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,675,147 times

Advertisements

Basically from information you gave it clear you are lookig for support in gettig a new vehicle. In budgettig its wise to put a life span on tranportation and factor it in the budget. Also make sure you really realise just the total expensive a vacation home will be in budgeting as its far different than a house you live in.you ned to budget for the difference you'll soon realise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 02:52 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,430,075 times
Would you husband's parents wishes have been to leave as their legacy a new car??? I'm guessing not. You can certainly afford to buy a new or new used car on your own. I think it should be used in a way to honor their memory. If it was left by your parents would you comingle the funds? I think it should be your husband's decision. He might not write the bills, but I'm sure he's capable of doing so. Even if the money was put into the children's college funds, it would mean you don't need to contribute as much later on. And the children would know their grandparents helped pay for their education.

It's more common for the man to make more money and have more control over the finances, just because the roles are refused it doesn't make it okay to take advantage of the situation. Legally the money is his, not yours.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:16 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,162,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
Would you husband's parents wishes have been to leave as their legacy a new car??? I'm guessing not. You can certainly afford to buy a new or new used car on your own. I think it should be used in a way to honor their memory. If it was left by your parents would you comingle the funds? I think it should be your husband's decision. He might not write the bills, but I'm sure he's capable of doing so. Even if the money was put into the children's college funds, it would mean you don't need to contribute as much later on. And the children would know their grandparents helped pay for their education.

It's more common for the man to make more money and have more control over the finances, just because the roles are refused it doesn't make it okay to take advantage of the situation. Legally the money is his, not yours.
of course they can afford to buy a new car on their own
they can spend 50k on a car and say it's from their money or their parents money but in the end it costs the same and they have the same amount of money left

Old 03-13-2013, 03:43 PM

157 posts, read 185,005 times
Right now, I'd import .22lr ammo. You can't possibly lose on the deal, and you will probably double your money in a few months.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
of course they can afford to buy a new car on their own
they can spend 50k on a car and say it's from their money or their parents money but in the end it costs the same and they have the same amount of money left
My family had similar income and assets to the OP. One set of grandparents setup a formal trust for the grandkids education. The other, did not. My mother still took her inheritance and used it for my son's college (the great grandchild) because she knew that they would have been happy that it made a difference, and she had significant assets.

I stick by, it shouldn't be the OP's decision. Inheritance is not community property. It seems like this is a what's yours is mine, and a what's mine is mine scenario. Just an impression from a few posts though...

Old 03-13-2013, 07:18 PM

795 posts, read 1,388,908 times
This is what trusts are for. Doesn't sound like there was a thorough estate plan in place.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:18 PM

79 posts, read 103,894 times
BUY/LEASE A CAR!! Considering you seem to have things in order, I don't know how getting a new/fairly used car isn't your top priority with this money. You have 2 kids and are driving around in a 13 year old civic?!? That is ridiculous to me, not to mention unsafe. Get yourself something nice and reliable like a BMW X3 or a Acura MDX. You won't notice $30k of this money going to one of these cars, and it will last you another 10 years or so. Cars are a part of life, even though they are the worst "investment"...

Old 03-14-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalPete View Post
BUY/LEASE A CAR!! Considering you seem to have things in order, I don't know how getting a new/fairly used car isn't your top priority with this money. You have 2 kids and are driving around in a 13 year old civic?!? That is ridiculous to me, not to mention unsafe. Get yourself something nice and reliable like a BMW X3 or a Acura MDX. You won't notice $30k of this money going to one of these cars, and it will last you another 10 years or so. Cars are a part of life, even though they are the worst "investment"...
You can buy a 3 series BMW or an E320 MBZ with under 100k miles that will easily last another 100k miles and will cost 10-12k. German cars last. They don't break down. With a good independent mechanic they're inexpensive to maintain. And the OP doesn't need to dip in to her husband's inheritance for them to afford it. A LEASE is a BAD idea!!!

Old 03-14-2013, 10:39 PM

79 posts, read 103,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
You can buy a 3 series BMW or an E320 MBZ with under 100k miles that will easily last another 100k miles and will cost 10-12k. German cars last. They don't break down. With a good independent mechanic they're inexpensive to maintain. And the OP doesn't need to dip in to her husband's inheritance for them to afford it. A LEASE is a BAD idea!!!
I just think if they are making $280 combined, they can afford a nice, newer car. You have the extra money to do it, and it seems like a good time to do it,so stop driving a ****box around and have some fun.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:40 PM

361 posts, read 747,000 times
Personally, I would advise you to send to me immediately.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance