Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 03:46 PM

344 posts, read 427,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Oh please. This has nothing to do with politics. It has everything to do with learning that you live on what you make and if that isn't enough for you, then get a job to make more. Leave politics out of it. Turning every topic into a political rant is the thing that's getting old around here
It is somewhat political, but I would say all Politicians promote debt behind closed doors, and some in public.

We have been sold a lifestyle of debt for far too long. The baby-boomers were the first generation to buy into the credit card frenzy. Sears were one of the first companies that realized they could make more on the credit issued than they could on their actual products. The 80s rolled around and people in this generation were purchasing VCRs, camcorders, and other products that their Parents usually saved years to purchase. Well, their Children took it to another level, and it was history.

Its to the point that you are looked at as a oddball for wanting to be debt free than have all this crap you dont need nor afford. I mean "most" People measure others success based on the vehicle they drive.

Quote:
I used it discriminately and paid it off each month

Quote:
But building up a credit score by charging something on the card and paying it off in full every month so you can improve your FICO and subsequently get a better interest rate actually does make sense.
My question is if you can afford to pay it off every month, why not just pay cash? I get it, to build your credit score so that you can "borrow" more money at a better rate. Gotcha.

All you need is a couple of years on the job, 3% down, judgement free, and no serious derogs, then you qualify for an FHA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 03:47 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I took your post as "Sure you can get a mortgage with no credit if you have a significant down payment, solid work history, and the payment is under 25% of your income." You do not need all of that to get a mortgage with no credit. That's all I'm saying.
On that point you are correct. But it really wasn't the main point of my post at all. So I'll revise the thought to say all of the above OR you can go the FHA, VA, or USDA route, which will cost more in the long run.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:52 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proverbs23and7 View Post
My question is if you can afford to pay it off every month, why not just pay cash? I get it, to build your credit score so that you can "borrow" more money at a better rate. Gotcha.

All you need is a couple of years on the job, 3% down, judgement free, and no serious derogs, then you qualify for an FHA.
So you're against making small charges and paying off monthly in order to borrow money for a home at a better interest rate but in favor of buying a house with only 3% down which will significantly increase your debt load and interest payments for many years?

If you don't see the irony here, I don't know what to tell you.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:01 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,689,350 times
Quote:
What hoops? There are three extra forms to sign, that's it.

Hoops was probably the wrong word to use for my comment. I should have elaborated that FHA loans are a bit more strict than conventional loans. Examples of that are someone buying a home than is categorized as a fixer-upper. FHA requires the home to be habitable and safe to live in. Some people buy fixers and although they plan on living in them eventually, it's tough to get a loan through FHA for that type of purchase. Anyway, this thread isn't about loans or qualifying for them, it was about ...
gee, I can't even remember what it was about originally. As so many threads do, this one veered off in another direction.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:01 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
So you're against making small charges and paying off monthly in order to borrow money for a home at a better interest rate but in favor of buying a house with only 3% down which will significantly increase your debt load and interest payments for many years?

I agree with you. My son was completely against having credit. I pretty much forced him to get a credit card. He uses it every other month for a small purchase. This month it was a $10 prescription a CVS. When the bill comes he'll pay it off. He's been doing that for four years and has an 800 credit score. Companies are falling over themselves trying to offer him credit.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:

This is a solid reason for using a credit card. Another good reason for having a credit card is when you get that late night phone call that your family member has died and you need to book a flight immediately, you can purchase the ticket immediately, online or over the phone.

Personally, I don't carry a balance on my card. If I did, I wouldn't reap the rewards I earn on it. While I think it's great the bank is assuring me a certain amount each month to use, they do make a bundle with the interest payments which means I have less money in my pocket each month.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
I agree with you. My son was completely against having credit. I pretty much forced him to get a credit card. He uses it every other month for a small purchase. This month it was a $10 prescription a CVS. When the bill comes he'll pay it off. He's been doing that for four years and has an 800 credit score. Companies are falling over themselves trying to offer him credit.
This is great! That's exactly what happens. It's a pretty nice feeling when you're recognized for being responsible in spending.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:19 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
DR is right about one thing. When you owe nobody anything, it's an insane feeling you can't imagine until you're there.

Recently some stuff happened to me that made me very angry, very disillusioned, and I seriously considered quitting my job. What made me feel safe and secure is that we have the finances to back that up. That feeling is irreplaceable. Luckily, things are looking ok now, but it's great to know no one owns me and I don't have to kowtow to anyone just to stay afloat.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:20 PM

344 posts, read 427,661 times
Quote:

If you are that guy who is looking to become debt free as soon as possible, then you will probably have the home paid off quicker. The guy who is constantly staying in debt with cc's and other useless items will go the entire term, pay a ton in interest on the other debt, will eventually pay more.

Flirting with credit cards and other debt to build your credit score will not make up the difference with a guy paying his FHA loan off quicker.....

Old 01-03-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
DR is right about one thing. When you owe nobody anything, it's an insane feeling you can't imagine until you're there.
That's the truth! There's something especially comforting about owning a mortgage free home. Sure makes a person sleep sound at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance