Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 02:18 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Have to take out a $10 and pay the and then put back the $2 and change.
You are so right, that is such a hassle! It's so much easier to take out the debit card, swipe it, enter the pin, put the debit card away, take the receipt and put it away, and write down 5 million debit transactions in your check register than getting a few extra bucks back when you buy your groceries to use for small purchases.

OP, I can only think of a couple of national retailers that DON'T give cash back when you use a debit card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 06:25 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,271,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
You are so right, that is such a hassle! It's so much easier to take out the debit card, swipe it, enter the pin, put the debit card away, take the receipt and put it away, and write down 5 million debit transactions in your check register than getting a few extra bucks back when you buy your groceries to use for small purchases.

OP, I can only think of a couple of national retailers that DON'T give cash back when you use a debit card.
You say tomatoes I say potatoes. To each their own I guess.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:42 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I only write one check per month, and that's for rent.
Yeah I used to do the same, but then with my Bank of America account, I discovered I could go online, and under the "Bill Pay" tab I can put my landlord's name and address, and the amount of my rent, and just hit "Submit" and Bank of America will mail him a physical check.

My mom does this for the guy that mows her lawn and other little things that you wouldn't usually associate with being able to pay online.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:45 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
You say tomatoes I say potatoes. To each their own I guess.
Actually, I say tomatoes when I'm talking about tomatoes and I say potatoes when I'm talking about potatoes.

For future reference, the phrase is "you say tuh-MA-toe, I say tuh-MAH-toe."

Old 01-16-2013, 10:33 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,271,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Actually, I say tomatoes when I'm talking about tomatoes and I say potatoes when I'm talking about potatoes.

For future reference, the phrase is "you say tuh-MA-toe, I say tuh-MAH-toe."
Actually...idc.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:43 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Petsmart offers cash back with debit purchases. Since I'm in Patsmart at least every week, I use them as my ATM, so I don't have to go to actual ATMs, which now charge fees on top of the fee my bank would charge for using a "foreign" ATM.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:19 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
Quote:
Why use cash for say fast food when you can just take out the debit card? With cash you. Have to take out a $10 and pay the and then put back the $2 and change. Half the time they give you some bills that look 50 years old! I get having say a $5 or a $10 bill just in case the card doesn't wrk or you neeed change or something, but doesn't matter if it is little or small purchases. Heck I've even used a card for a air machine. They closed down the free air pressure machine and had to pay a buck.
I almost never keep more than 60$ cash on my person at anyone time. I use my Debit Card for all my little small purchases. But I do like to have some cash for things I don't like paying for with plastic.

Cab Rides - Cabbies prefer getting paid in Cash

Tipping - Waiters, Waitresses and Delivery Men don't make a lot as it is, I've been told by an off-duty Waiter as an aside that they (Waiters and Waitresses) prefer it if you paid your tips in Cash. When people pay tips on Plastic it's taxed and put into their paycheck. I've lived by that rule for over 10 years now, I find it tacky to put a tip on a Plastic.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 19,488 times
My personal experience has been that any place allowing you to pay with an ATM card (Debit card if it has a VISA or MC logo on it) where you need to enter your ATM PIN in order to pay for the item, will also give you cash back. With one exception (which is what my google query was about) and that is Delta Sonic Car Wash. I needed cash to tip the kid cleaning the inside of my car, but they said NO CASH BACK, after I bought a candy bar using my ATM card. I posed the question a number of different ways, and the results were the same. They had an ATM machine behind me, which of course had a $3 service fee connected to it. I said sorry, no thanks, and the kid cleaning my filthy car got no tip :-(

Old 01-01-2014, 12:54 PM

50,716 posts, read 36,411,320 times
I got cash back at the Post Office last week. It surprised me when they asked me if I wanted cash back!

Old 01-01-2014, 06:01 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I will continue to use checks to pay bills (cable, electric, gas, phone, etc)
to avoid online transactions.
Debit card will be only be used for car fuel, food, clothes, gifts for others, etc. and at times, will need cash back from 1+ of those type of transactions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
My incomes are direct deposited, leaving me with little cash in pocket.
I can only think of one business that offers cash back when someone uses their debit or credit card for a purchase. And that is the U.S. Post Office.
--------------------------------
I rarely use my bank debit card, preferring checks to pay bills by mail and cash for other misc. purchases.
What businesses are you finding that let you get cash back when you use your bank card, for a debit or credit transaction?
Grocery store does. Anywhere else ask if there is a fee first. I was at the Dollar General and guy in front if me used cash back option. The clerk told him there was a fee.

Have you looked into banking with USAA? They reimburse the first five ATM transaction fees, since they have very few branches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance